Author Topic: Route 66  (Read 9110 times)

Viking Lady

Route 66
« on: November 20, 2008, 04:39:28 am »
Since we are a scattered bunch I was wondering if any of you had ever traveled what is left of Route 66. From what I have seen the last couple years it is probably broken up into patches. Also, has anyone ever made a road trip with their big ones?

Viking Lady

Re: Route 66
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:50:56 am »
Haha.....that sounds like just the kind of trip I was thinking about!

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:57:26 am »
Ha! I could drive my red '66 Mustang. It doesn't have air conditioning but I guess I would have the breeze and alot of slobber on me!

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:59:38 am »
Forgot. That's what I wondered, what kind of vehicle? And what do motel people think?

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:07 am »
I'M not comfortable flying........ I hate it.

I haven't traveled with a dog in a long time. When we moved across country with our collie we had to sneak him into the room because I don't think any motels allowed pets back then. I hadn't checked into it in a long time.

Viking Lady

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:38:20 am »
I have been "diagnosed" as a control freak. When I flew, years ago, I realized there wasn't a thing I could do if something were to go wrong. Friends of mine have told me to get on board and have a drink. But I can't because I feel responsible for helping to keep the plane in the air. Have to remain alert!!

LOVE to drive. My dad always reminded me that flying was alot safer than driving. So I know I am not rational about this.

jesday

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:18:31 am »
I have been "diagnosed" as a control freak. When I flew, years ago, I realized there wasn't a thing I could do if something were to go wrong. Friends of mine have told me to get on board and have a drink. But I can't because I feel responsible for helping to keep the plane in the air. Have to remain alert!!

LOVE to drive. My dad always reminded me that flying was alot safer than driving. So I know I am not rational about this.
Okay, now that we've got you back in the air as far as releasing your control issues, let my tell you why my daughter is afraid of flying. She's not afraid of the mechanics - she feels everyone is allotted 'X' number of flights in a lifetime. Each flight you take uses up one of your allotted. The problem is you never know how many you have, 2 or 200? Could you have used up your last one ???

She knows this is irrational, but it's not her fault. Look at her mother :D

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 08:44:20 am »
I am taking my daughter to Vegas in July, for her 21st bday...The only thing she wants to do there is see "Thunder from down under" which we will
Hey! I just went to Vegas and saw "Thunder from Down Under!" LOVED the dudes! LOL
You girls will have so much fun!!!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 08:46:18 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Viking Lady

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 10:16:07 am »
El'skids
Hey.......all I did was go to the post office to mail my sales tax payment and I come back and have to get on a plane! No kidding, I have thought the same thing your daughter has. But for me it is more the control thing. I don't know what is wrong with me.

My dream vacation would be a road trip, with no strict times of arrival, eating and staying in little "dives", and not spending a fortune to do it.

Ahhhhhh.....

Viking Lady

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 12:14:10 pm »
Bay area, eh?

Everything sounds like fun,except Luke off leash. hehe

Viking Lady

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 12:32:18 pm »
Truthfully I haven't tried it yet out in a public. But it's not likely.

Viking Lady

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 02:10:41 pm »
Ooops.....I just assumed it was San Francisco. Could be alot of other places, I guess.

Too far for me with a slobber puss.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:12:00 pm by Viking Lady »

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 02:41:53 pm »
El'skids
My dream vacation would be a road trip, with no strict times of arrival, eating and staying in little "dives", and not spending a fortune to do it.

Ahhhhhh.....

It's been several years, but my husband, daughter, 2 great danes (Appollos and Sera)I drove from our home in Oregon to Moab, UT (in our crew cab w/canopy) to meet my sister. What a friggin' blast!! No time constraints!! We visited where dogs were allowed to be... our only limits.  Grand Canyon, 4-corners, Salt Lake, numerous campgrounds and so many others that my pea brain can't remember or can't remember the name of.  We ran into so many people that just wanted to know about our dogs... some were so amazed at Appollos, cuz they'd never seen a dog that size.
We love roadtrips... our vacations are determined on what our dogs can or can not do.
I'll try to attach a few pics.

OMG! what fun to go back and see these pics... some were marked 2003, but they were all from june of 2004.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 02:44:32 pm by specialkdanemom »
Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005

Viking Lady

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 02:46:09 pm »
I think you went on my dream vacation!! Wonderful pictures. Plus, I found that the best people to be around are campers and boaters.

Offline specialkdanemom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Sera, Shasta & Mika
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 03:16:47 pm »
We had a blast! We only had a general route/plan. June was a bit warm for the pups, but the truck was air conditioned and we made sure we had lots of water when we hiked... and limited it to short jaunts on several occasions.
We go to Central Oregon (approx. 3 hrs away) for long weekends or "stay-cations".  It's open desert land and forests.  This is where we love to go... not many people and the dogs are able to be off leash.  It's well worth the time to drive and get away.  We always go back to the same general area.  We can spend on average... less than $500 for a week of camping for a family of 4 w/ 3 BPs.  And that includes food and gas for the truck, motorcycles and quad. 
here's a pic from our springbreak vacation (3/08).  Very interesting weather.  It was sunny and it snowed!  I was able to get pics of the kids for christmas cards and "school pics".  my avatar is sera hiking in the snow from springbreak. 

Big Dogs...got to love'em!!

Karen, mom to:
Mika (GD)
Sera (GD/Greyhound X)
Shasta (Lab/Newf X)

Appollos (GD) RIP 2001-2005