Author Topic: Don't get mad at me  (Read 12376 times)

Viking Lady

Don't get mad at me
« on: November 20, 2008, 04:44:57 pm »
I have already sought your opinions about food and diet for Luke so I hope you don't mind one more inquiry from me. I put him on Blue Buffalo large breed puppy food after realizing the Purina puppy chow might not be satisfactory. The first week or so it seemed like he loved it. I added some canned food to it (same brand) with salmon and lamb, etc. He seemed to like that. Then a few times he didn't eat much. I added some raw carrots for treats once in a while. He loves them. He has had an apple and loved it. The other day he didn't eat much breakfast and our weather dropped into the 20's that night so I poured some warmed left over vegetable soup over his dry food. He gobbled it up. Today he ate half of his breakfast with canned on top of dry. So tonight I opened a bag of frozen broccoli ? and carrots, heated those in beef broth and poured that over his dry food and he loved it.

My questions. Is beef broth made from powder and hot water ok? And should veggies be added to his food like I did or should they just be a treat?

lins_saving_grace

Re: Don't get mad at me
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:52:10 pm »
broth is high is sodium.  Grace hates it. 
Maybe he's not eating much for a couple of reasons.  He wants the goodies not the kibble.  Or maybe you're feeding him too much and he simply isn't hungry.  Sounds like he's gotten a five course meal lately. 
Grace gets picky too if she knows she can hold out eating her kibble until I add all kinds of num yummies. 
It's not a bad thing to dress up dog food (that's our guilty conscience talking to us), but in a reasonable manner.  If you could cut back on those yummies in the kibble, his weight will stay stable and his eating habits will return to normal. 
He'll eat when he's hungry and until he knows you won't break down and give in and fill up his bowl with all kinds of tasty treats.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 04:53:07 pm by Lin »

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 05:00:55 pm »
For meals do you give stictly kibble?

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:28:57 pm »
Thanks  I'll go back to just kibble.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:01:41 am »
For meals do you give stictly kibble?
I have to put a teeny splash of milk on Grace's kibble because she won't eat without it.  I tried all the toppers once because after the other rott I had got ACL replacment and wouldn't eat, I tried to dress up the food bowl.  Since then, i have to put milk on the food.  That was my fault.  I'm ok with doing that, but putting a ton of other things on top isn't good.  it's fattening and distracting.  :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 01:57:46 am »
I make my very own kibble toppings. I have jars of boiled and blended beef hearts, liver, and chicken in refrigirator. Only two tbsp of that mixed with kibble and Lily is eating like a pig! LOL I alternate between flavors to keep her on the edge  ;D ::) :P
Green canned tripe also works great! It sticks though, very very much, but healthy  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 03:21:23 am »
We use Green tripe)canned) as a topper for one of thier meals,  the other is dry kibble.
I use the tripe because it has many benefits for the pups.  It has digestive juices so that helps them to digest thier food as well helps with skin and coat and many others,  not too mention even the pickiest dog I know will eat tripe if nothing else and yes, it smells like butt!

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 03:44:24 am »
I just went through this exact problem with Bubba and Lola. It started with Lola and when Bubba saw I was adding canned food to her dry he suddenly got picky too. LOL

I slowly reduced the amount of canned until they had nothing but dry kibble. If they refused it, I'd add a little warm water. I finally have them both back to eating just the dry. It's actually only been 3 days. LOL

I don't mind giving them toppers.. my problem was they came to expect it and refused to eat if there was nothing on their kibble.

Lyn

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 04:17:46 am »
The Before Grain Tripe was a huge hit here. Just a warning though it smells like manure and puke. LMAO The first couple times I fed it to them I was litterally gagging. :D

It's kinda soupy textured so it's perfect for mixing in kibble.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 04:18:38 am by Lyn »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 04:28:30 am »
The Before Grain Tripe was a huge hit here. Just a warning though it smells like manure and puke. LMAO The first couple times I fed it to them I was litterally gagging. :D

Yep, I literally had to turn away and cover my nose  :( After using a case of it I NEEDED a break! LOL
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Viking Lady

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 04:47:35 am »
Well, I feel a little better reading such variations in feeding. To tell you the truth, when I first heard about feeding raw I thought it meant raw vegetables! But when I started reading on BPO and realized it was raw meat I was stunned. And then I read about turkey necks!! I thought you never gave a dog meat with bones, especially chicken. It might splinter or choke them. So........even though I am still a little confused I guess I will stick with a good kibble, use my veggies and fruit as an occasional treat, and see how it goes.

Thanks to all of you. I'm sure you get tired of talking it about it.

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 05:11:29 am »
Yup raw fine.. cooked bad.

Last christmas I cut the raw turkey neck in half and gave a piece to each of the dogs. You should have heard the reactions I got. OMG take that away from them, your not suppose to feed turkey bones. I tried to explain it to them but I swear they still though I was killing my dogs. LOL

Viking Lady

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 05:39:02 am »
Hehe......soun ds like fun!

I guess you meant stripped chicken carcass? I thought at first maybe that was another Canadian food....stripe d chicken! Kidding...

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 06:15:28 am »
I think that is my favorite thing about feeding raw.  Every meal is a dance a thon, at my house.  They all wiggle, bounce, twirl around, etc.  It is kind of scary to have 100+ pound dogs standing on their rear legs and dancing around, but they do it at each meal.  They are in love with meat.  I am in love with not having to coax anyone to eat.  I used to alternate toppings at each meal.  I would spend Sunday afternoon cooking up and pureeing chicken, beef liver, pork, and then cook up a huge steamer full of rice to mix with it, to put on their kibble for supper.  Breakfast was always yogurt or cottage cheese.  Two nights a week were spent cooking up 3 or 4 pounds of beef liver, pureeing it and then mixing it up with eggs and organic flour to make their biscuits.  No more cooking for the dogs.  Yeah!!!  This is soooo much easier and they are soooo much happier.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 12:38:32 pm »
When the commissary on base reduces thier turkey necks and wings,  I buy as much as I can or that they have and freeze it.
The dogs LOVE it.   I wish I could find a wholesale around here for raw but this small, dinky town sucks!!

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak