Author Topic: Kitty question for visiting daughter  (Read 5639 times)

jesday

Kitty question for visiting daughter
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:51:16 am »
With all the blended(dog & cat) BPO families, I thought who better to turn to for my daughter. She recently adopted two 6-month old kittens. They each get 1/2 cup dry kitten food per day. They are displaying their intelligence by managing to get into every container they store the food in.

Her question is how much food should they be getting? Are they starving or just little pigs? Her vet tells her to get them self-feeding soon. I know most vets do not recommend this for dogs but perhaps different for cats?

The issue with the self feeding is one cat will eat as long as there is food the other is more shy. She is afraid the one will eat too much and the other won't get any.

Like most good mommies she is worried they are hungry all the time, hence the determination to get into the food.

Suggestions?? 

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Kitty question for visiting daughter
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 09:11:07 am »
I free feed my cats.  I tried feeding them a couple of times a day but there would invariably be fights between the more outgoing, bossy cats and the shy ones.  So free feeding has helped out with stopping the nasty behavior over food.  She can place multiple bowls out so that each cat has their own bowl and the shy guy has a chance to eat in peace.  Hope that helps some.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Lyn

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:13:12 am »
I've always free fed our kittens. They do have a habit of pigging out for the first week. Once they realize that their bowls will always be full they will slow down and self regulate.

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:26:33 pm »
we have an auto feeder for our 4 cats... it seems to be much easier :)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:58:35 am »
I free feed my cats.  I tried feeding them a couple of times a day but there would invariably be fights between the more outgoing, bossy cats and the shy ones.  So free feeding has helped out with stopping the nasty behavior over food.  She can place multiple bowls out so that each cat has their own bowl and the shy guy has a chance to eat in peace.  Hope that helps some.

I do something like this as well...I put food in their bowls once a day and they eat as much as they will. I have 2 bowls for 2 cats.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

jesday

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 04:04:24 pm »
Thanks all. The suggestions were great as usual. I let my daughter read them first hand. She also looked up the site of the kitten food to see recommended amounts. According to it they were a little on the low side. She wants to try the free feed when they get home. Mainly for some stress relief. They don't get home until late some evenings and all she can think about is her hungry kitties.

Offline Jas2Cats

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All my babies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 04:43:13 pm »
I've always free fed my cats.  For me, the biggest concern is putting the food where the dogs can't get it.  Cats seem to be pretty good about regulating how much they eat.  Currently, my cat has free reign to dry food and we feed her wet food 3 times a day (she's elderly and doesn't eat much dry food).
Alyce

Woody  (aka Big Dog) (12 1/2) Shorthaired Laberaimer (1/2 German Shorthair, 1/4 Lab, 1/4 Weimaraimer)
Maple (aka Princess Poo) (7 1/2) Boxer/ GS mix
Fuzzy (15 1/2)long haired tabby cat
Trouble & Double 3 1/2 year old African Leopard Tortoises.
Ed (17+) and Cris (13+) skin kids