Author Topic: HD & Supplement Question  (Read 6443 times)

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
HD & Supplement Question
« on: December 01, 2008, 06:18:03 am »
Okay, so our breeder has a health contract/guarantee for 2 years. However, in order to keep it valid, you have to give your Newf NuVet pills. She is not a reseller and does not profit from the sales of them, she just really believes in how they work. So, we've been giving our 3 month old Newf these pills every day. Well, at our vets office, two of the three vets we've seen have said something about his hips. They haven't said they are concerned, just that we need to watch them. They also recommended that I not give the NuVet pills. But, if we discontinue the dosage, it voids our health contract/guarantee. So, I'm confused and not sure what to do. I am thinking of contacting the breeder just to get her opinion.

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: HD & Supplement Question
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 07:39:38 am »
Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking. They had never heard of them, but when they heard of vitamin, or supplement, they thought - OH, no we are not supposed to give those! I wish I could find a vet that specializes in large breeds!

AND,the first vet that was concerned with his hips kept going on and on about how much white he had in him. He said he would bet that there was St. Bernarnd in him! I'm like, um NO! So, that right there told me how much he knew about the breed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 07:44:35 am by kbnewfjack »

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:08:21 am »
Well, the first two times we went, he saw the same lady vet and she was great. Then, we went back for a de-worming and he saw an older vet that's there and last weekend when we went, he saw a fill-in vet due to the holidays. I believe there's normally only 3 different vets there. (We have yet to see the other one)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 10:41:26 am »
Alfalfa * Alpha Amylase * Amino Acids * Beta Carotene * Blue Green Algae * Brewer's Yeast * Cat's Claw * Chicken Liver * Copper * Evening Primrose Oil * Iron * L Methionine * Magnesium Manganese * Oyster Shell * Papain * Phosphorus * Pine Bark * Potassium * Selenium (Yeast) * Shark Cartilage * Taurine (Feline formula only) * Vitamin A * Vitamin B Complex * Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) * Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) * Vitamin B3 (Niacin) * Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid) * Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) * Vitamin B12 * Vitamin C (Ester C) * Vitamin E * Zinc *

Here are the ingredients of the pill...I don't think you should be concerned about side effects at all  :)
I have been giving Lily Alfalfa and Kelp and joint supplements since she was 8 weeks and she has no issues 

I research EVERYTHING my vet says first before jumping into conclusions  :-[
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 04:42:21 pm »
My vet actually does recommend supplements for my bubs. We give them Dasuquin. It is one of the few supplements with clinical studies showing improvement in joint issues in dogs. She also suggests fish oil capsules to help with Sophie's skin issues. It's usually better to get vet quality supplements because they are the most consistent in the amount of ingredients. Generic or large store quantities are not held to the same quality standards and can have a wide range of percentage of any one ingredient per pill.

Secondly, just what does your two-year health guarantee entail?  Do you have to give your dog back and get new one? Do you get a monetary amount? Vet bills paid. Most of these all require you to give the pup back and most people won't do that so it is a safe bet for the breeder. If this is the case, does it matter to you if you void the guarantee by not giving NuVet?

And lastly, I just found this out about my own Newf, I believe your little cutie is what's referred to as an Irish Spotted Newf. We had some postings about this a few months ago. The Landseer is almost all white with a black head and large black markings whereas the Spotted are more like yours and my Sophie. Personally I love the markings. And your little guy couldn't be any cuter. :)

Offline kbnewfjack

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 02:13:20 am »
Sophie looks like a grown up Jack! Yeah, the breeder referred to them as Irish Spotted, but I haven't found in any dog books where thye use that term. He was actually $100 more because of his markings.

jesday

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 05:00:45 am »
Sophie looks like a grown up Jack! Yeah, the breeder referred to them as Irish Spotted, but I haven't found in any dog books where thye use that term. He was actually $100 more because of his markings.

I know. My breeder referred to her as 'something' but I couldn't remember what. I really had to research to find it. I'm surprised you had to pay more. The Irish Spotted is considered deviant by the AKC and disqualifies them for showing. AKC only recognizes all black, bronze, gray and the landseerer, leaving out our gorgeous pups. Humpf! >:(