Author Topic: You Don't Have To Be Big To Be A Bully!!  (Read 21756 times)

Offline Janisjin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Photos of Toku & Logan
You Don't Have To Be Big To Be A Bully!!
« on: August 13, 2005, 03:02:57 pm »
ok, I'm sure this topic has been covered and it probably has happened to alot of you out there, but I really just have to rant for a second.

I am sick of everyone siding with a small dog when your dog gets in a tiff. I don't mean all out dog fight, but just some growling and snarling. About 95% of the dogs who have bitten my older 90 pound akita mix are jack russels/daschunds/beagles, etc. We go to off leash dog parks all the time and these little dogs see my dog as a threat and just run up to him, growl, and bite him. Sometimes they just run up to him and bite him without any warning as he's sniffing the grass or walking by them 3 feet away. For example, there is a little daschund who goes to the same park and he always chases my dog around and bites his privates! And when my dog is sitting down and sun bathing or being pet, the little daschund will try to mount him or bite his privates again! and as expected,  my dog gets pretty darn angry. He'll growl and the daschund will bite him, then he'll take his paw and smoosh the daschund on the gorund to keep it from biting him while he's making scary noises to scare the daschund away. Of course, I am blamed and people are kicking my dog or grabbing him by the collar and pulling him away while the little dog is taking freebie bites out of my dog. the little dog's owner acts so angry and offended that my big bad wolf tried to eat his private-biting angel. That little devil has even growled at me a bunch of times when I see him going for my dog's privates and I try to run defense.

I think as large dog owners, we know that some people fear our dogs or fear that our dogs may be aggressive.  So we overcompensate by training our dogs, socializing them, training them some more, and socializing them some more. We are sure to let them know what is okay and what is not. As an owner of a "bully breed," I make certain that my dogs have exposure to as many types of people, children, animal, sites, sounds, etc. But some little dog owners think their dogs can do no harm b/c they're so small and it's the big dogs you have to look out for, or that their little jack russel is so cute being so tough and taking a bite out of a huge dog. These little dogs get away with murder! It might be in the smaller dog's nature to snap at larger dogs when they feel threatened, but this is where training comes in. It's in my akita's nature to eat little dogs, but I've trained him and conditioned him that he just ignores them now. I blame the owner, not the dog. My dogs don't react by tearing the dog apart, but they do bark a "get off of me!" or they smack the little dog with their paw with a scary sounding growl just to get it off of them. 

I mean, how would you feel if a smaller person came up to you and smacked you in the back of the head? I'm pretty small, but Ican't just walk up to a tough looking guy who is just walking by on the side walk and smack him in the back of the head or kick him in the shin and expect him to do nothing or blame him when he gets mad. Or if he yells at me to stop, like how my dogs bark at the little dog, and I still keep standing there kicking him over and over again, I can't blame him for trying to get me away from him. I think it's the same thing with little dogs biting larger dogs. You can be under 20 pounds and still be a bully!  >:(
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 03:04:31 pm by Janisjin »
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"
-- Unknown

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: You Don't Have To Be Big To Be A Bully!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 05:05:35 pm »
I agree Janis.  I've actually posted something similar to this on another website that little dogs behavior is tolerated WAY too much.  This was on a thread about a rottie attack.  The same standards unfortunately are not set for little dogs.  I was referring to how they are around people, but the same can be said of their behavior around dogs.

That little dacshie sounds like a real pain in the arse.......... .literally.  Too bad there is not much you can do about that other than try to go at a different time. 

I burst out laughing at the picture you painted in my head of a short person going up to a big beefy bodybuilder type and just smacking them in the head.........L OLOLOL   :D :D

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 05:49:42 pm »
I have yet to see a small dog so bold as to intimidate a big dog to destructive aggression.
My big dog will first avoid, then smoosh with a paw and avoid again, when that doesn't work she will come to me for protection. If my actions toward the small dog upsets its' master, then my BIG Dog goes into 'Protect' mode, she will lie at my feet and growl, they usually leave the dog park if they have half a brain. I've also watched my BIG Dog lie down and let the little dog use her for a 'chew toy'! When she's had enough she lets the little dog know, and they part company amicably. Little dog with ego intact, big dog knowing it will have something good to eat when she gets home.
It's not the dogs that have a problem with each other, it's the masters!
I let my BIG Dog choose who she wants to play with.
Dogs, large or small, when well trained, will always look to their masters for guidance.
There's no such thing as too much training, or socialization.
Don't be afraid of your dog parks, dogs are dogs! Be afraid of their masters!
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 06:00:44 pm »
 :D  :D  I love that pick with the bucket on the head.......... ..Priceless!!!

Yaz

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 07:18:30 pm »
The standard line my friend uses when a small dog is being out of line with her 120 pound Bullmastiff is "Are you sure you want your dog to get aggressive with mine? Because I'm not sure I can control Titus if he decides to protect himself." Works like a charm everytime.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 07:30:31 pm »
I just got back from walking Samsopn & Pippin & had the same kind of thing happen...We were on the sidwalk & walked by a house & out of nowhere came a little Poodle/Shitzu looking mix...This dog is aboutt he size of Samson's head & runs up & starts snarling & yapping & is totally out of control...Sams on, of course, wants to play & as I was trying to walk by he tries to sniff the little dog & the little jerk snaps at Sam...Sam looks hurt like, "what did I do"?...The owner comes out of her house then & laughs & says, "Oh Fluffy is so protective & territorial"...HA-FRIGGIN'-HA!!!...I personally didn't find it funny when I was trying to control 2 puppies at 110 & 55 lbs...My son had been walking Pippin but when this yappy little beast came at us I took both leashes...I wonder what would have happened if Samson decided to snap & lunge & snarl at the little dog...I don't think my laughing & saying, "Oh Samson's so defensive about being attacked" would have flew at all!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 07:33:03 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 09:40:17 pm »
That is so true! People who own little dogs so not train them at all. The dogs have no social skills, manners ect the list could go on and on. There was a wonderful article posted, about this by Red and it explains that when the big dog growls because it is being bothered, it is reacting the way that is should, and should not be corrected for this at all. He is warning the other dog to back off! Harley is always doing this to Dilbert when he bugs her ( jumps on her when she is chewing her bone) and he backs off. Janis you are doing great with your pup, and he is reacting like any well behaved dog should. I would get very angry if anyone tried to disiplin Harley or Dilbert, for acting like that. GRRR people with rat dogs really p#$@ me off.  I wish I could remember the post with that article cuz it was sooo good.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 11:37:45 pm »
That is so true! People who own little dogs so not train them at all. The dogs have no social skills, manners ect the list could go on and on. There was a wonderful article posted, about this by Red and it explains that when the big dog growls because it is being bothered, it is reacting the way that is should, and should not be corrected for this at all. He is warning the other dog to back off! Harley is always doing this to Dilbert when he bugs her ( jumps on her when she is chewing her bone) and he backs off. Janis you are doing great with your pup, and he is reacting like any well behaved dog should. I would get very angry if anyone tried to disiplin Harley or Dilbert, for acting like that. GRRR people with rat dogs really p#$@ me off.  I wish I could remember the post with that article cuz it was sooo good.

Nina
Is this it Nina?...You have to scroll down a little to get to the article.http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 12:26:19 am »
Well I am the owner of 2 little dogs...  and I will be the 1st to admit they they really are only nice to me...My 5lb pom has total little dog syndrome snaps and snarls at big dogs...  I am always giving him trouble and take full responsibility for his nasty behavior.  Here we have little dog  - dog parks and big dog dog parks.  It works better...but I am not into dog parks...can't ever trust what other people hav taught their dogs...

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 01:18:30 am »
Yes!
That is so true and insightful.
Our BIG dogs have their territory, it is no larger than a small dogs. It is as big as the dogs master allows it to be. Training, socializing, etc. etc., GAWD I'm beggining to sound like an old 45 in the Groove. I guess I've 'aged' myself, but that's OK.
I get worked up when I see people come to the dog park and keep their companions on leash, that's what the double gates are for. Turn them loose! Let them be dogs, they'll sort out their issues!
Don't let your pets suffer the same OCD,s, they will help you through the turmoil!
Just let your dogs be dogs.
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 09:10:45 am »

Nina
Is this it Nina?...You have to scroll down a little to get to the article.http://www.flyingdogpress.com/sayhi.html

Yes that's the one! thanks Gyps  ;D
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 09:16:42 am »
Well I am the owner of 2 little dogs...  and I will be the 1st to admit they they really are only nice to me...My 5lb pom has total little dog syndrome snaps and snarls at big dogs...  I am always giving him trouble and take full responsibility for his nasty behavior.  Here we have little dog  - dog parks and big dog dog parks.  It works better...but I am not into dog parks...can't ever trust what other people hav taught their dogs...
I am soo sorry if I offended you in anyway, I was on a rant last night( also had a glass of wine  ;D ) I should not sterotype all little dog owners, saying that they don't train them, because that is not true. It is the same attiude that we get with our big dogs.  :-\ 

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Jolene (cat)

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 10:43:00 am »
You should be proud of your dog Janis.. sounds like he has a lot of patience and a really good temperment for an Akita.   The fact that the daschund  is still alive says that :) I don't think I'd handle anyone kicking my dog too well. 

I saw in another thread related to this, that they take a squirt bottle to the dog park with them to squirt the small dogs that have issues. I just can't imagine that doing too much unless there is a little ammonia in there or something though.

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 07:41:52 pm »
I OWN TWO LITTLE CHIHUAHAS.... They have been socialized very well with other dogs. They still do not like other dogs no matter what we do.  They had a fit when i bought dixie home and are just now getting to relax around her. They play outside but inside is their territory and they bite and growl and snap. They get the rolled up news paper but it only works for a mintue. 
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 08:49:24 pm »
Nina - you did not offend..  I am the 1st to admit my little ones are bad...and it is my fault...  It is just so much easier to not train a little dog...  I am always apologizing for my little ones behavior in public...and as I am training Willow the little ones will also be learning.  Will it change their tude- probably not...but maybe it will help a bit.