Author Topic: Venting about not my problem.  (Read 9670 times)

lins_saving_grace

Venting about not my problem.
« on: December 10, 2008, 01:20:29 pm »
I know money is tight and all and a lot of people are having money trouble. I just got a call from a place called HC Processing.  The foreign lady on the phone explained that she was calling about one of my neighbors and if I knew her or saw her if I could give her a name and number to call. 
I'm thinking this is a little desperate of bill collectors to call someone's neighbor.  1.) I have about 800 or more neighbors. 2.) is it my job to pass along a messageeven if I do know her.  3.) i'm slightly miffed that no one calls my phone number to talk to me.  :-\

yellow_dog_mom

Re: Venting about not my problem.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 01:57:44 pm »
It's beyond desperate. Bill collectors (and anyone else) can locate family members names, as well as neighbors and make contact.

It is such an invasion of our personal space, and if a collection agency called me I guarantee they wouldn't ever call me back.  >:(  >:( :P

Can you block the last calling party from your telephone?

:) Give me your phone number and I'll be happy to call you! ;)  :D  ;D

BTW-How is Grace doing ???
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:15:22 pm by yellow_dog_mom »

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 02:46:30 pm »
I thought that kind of thing was included under privacy issues. I agree with what's been said. And it's not your job to give her a message.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 03:41:00 pm »
I can't block calls.  I think next time they call, I'm going to threaten to call a lawyer, sue them and solve my money problems.  :)  the woman lives next door to me, but I wasn't going to volunteer that information. 
Grace is hanging in there.  She's sleeping a lot these last 2 days and isn't up at 4 am (knock on wood) anymore.  This 30 days is going pretty slowly.

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:45:44 pm »
I just can't believe bill collectors will call neighbors. of course, they are on the bottom of my scum list anyway. I feel pretty sure you can tell them not to call you and if they do they will be reported for harassment.

Or, like you said, sue them for mental anguish and whatever else you can come up with.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 05:06:09 pm »
I'm thinking that this is not only bad judgement on the company's part but it's also illegal.  Since, it's illegal to jeopardize someone's job by calling them to collect on a debt while they are at work, I would assume this would be close to the same thing.  Because, the company doesn't know if you are her boss at her place of employment. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 04:51:54 am »
WOW so much for the Holiday Sprit! Can't they leave people alone at least over Christmas. It really puts you in a difficult position. I'm sure she would be so embassased if she knew they were doing that and probably add to her already stress load.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Viking Lady

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 09:08:01 am »
Hah! That last comment is exactly what I was thinking. Who is it that says,"Mommy, when I grow up I wanna be a debt collector or a tax collector."

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 04:39:51 am »
I tried telemarketing once and couldn't handle the sob stories.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 05:09:19 am »
I worked for a collections agency one year to make money for my kids Christmas.  I sucked at it.  We were told that Christmas is the "best" time to try and collect money.  You tell the person, when they tell you they are trying to get Christmas presents for their kids, with what little money they have and cannot pay the bill,  "The very best Christmas present you can give to your children is the assurance of knowing your bills are paid and your credit is preserved."  What alternate dimension do these people live in?  I couldn't even bring myself to say it out loud, let alone to some desperate, poor person on the phone, who owed a doctor or hospital money.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 12:00:31 pm »
WOW..... Did you let her have it?
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 12:42:48 pm »
no i didn't tell her off.  i wanted to.  The first time I'm forgiving.  Next time I won't be so nice.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 07:46:55 am »
So this collection agency called me again while i was out with the dog.  Some lady nicely asked if i could leave a message for my neighbor.  this time they provided an address and stated they expected a call back today.   I have 1/2 a mind to call them back and threated to sue.  I've been wondering why my phone has been ringing off the hook during the day the last month.  i don't have caller id so i don't know who it is calling, but no one leaves a message.  I'm getting a little irritated about it.

Kirsti

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 08:18:56 am »
Wow that is desperate. that bites so much!

~Kirsti

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 08:42:36 am »
I called this place back.  the lady's voice mail picks up.  I told her she had called me about a neighbor and i was upset that she knows my address, full name and number and i don't want to get in the middle.  i added that if she called again i would call a lawyer and maybe they should send this lady a certified letter or something because this is an invasion of her and my privacy.   she didn't even listen to the message...my phone rang as soon as I hung up.  they must have caller id.   i picked up after she started talking to the machine.  i told her to listen to her message and not to call me again.   she went on about how she needs to know who she had called about.  well i don't know how to pronounce her last name and wasn't going to start listening to her message again.  i gave her a first name of the lady next door.  she was getting hurried and i was getting mad...so i told her not to call me again and hung up.