Author Topic: Mulled wine?  (Read 8937 times)

Viking Lady

Mulled wine?
« on: December 12, 2008, 05:13:39 pm »
Has anyone ever had or made mulled wine? I am trying to do something a little different at Christmas. It sounds good when I say it, but warm wine seems kind of strange.

Viking Lady

Re: Mulled wine?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 02:49:37 am »
If I drink wine it's usually white. The recipes I've been reading are all red wine. For some reason red wine gives me a headache. When I read the recipe it sounds yummy.

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 03:00:43 am »
Ooops!
Every year my family wants almost the identical meal for Christmas that we had for Thanksgiving. So I am trying to add some little different things. Like you, I thought the recipes sounded kind of good.

I need some ideas that get me motivated. I'm starting to drag and have alot to do.

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 09:25:02 am »
Maybe I should try it first.....so I can see if everyone would like it.

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 04:41:25 pm »
That sounds like a good way to do it. I hope, if I have to use red wine, the heating process cooks the headache out of it.

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 06:16:02 pm »
I LOVE mulled wine! Takes me back to being in Prague in late November, where they were selling cups of mulled wine and potato pancakes out of little shacks all over the city.

The trick with it is to make absolutely sure you do not heat the wine too much as the alcohol would burn off. If you are concerned, just add a touch of brandy to it. Well, it's good anyways with a touch of brandy  ;)

I like to boil then simmer orange pieces with zest, with spices and honey and a little of the wine, then add the wine, heat till warm, then add to the brandy. Careful, it packs a punch!  ;D
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Viking Lady

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 06:43:30 pm »
I was going to make a practice run and I haven't done it yet. You made it sound extra tempting. I may have to combine recipes.

Brandy is another drink I have never tried. I always saw it in movies and it seems like a cozy drink. Do you need a fireplace to go with it? hehe

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:59:46 pm »
Do you need a fireplace to go with it? hehe

Yes.    ;)

Brandy has, in my opinion, the coolest of drinking glasses, you know the huge bulbous glass on a short little stem?

Viking Lady

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 07:29:21 pm »
I agree about the glasses. I always pictured it as something you would serve after a cold evening of Christmas shopping. You finished your shopping, come in and light a fire, pour a glass of brandy and relax by the fire to warm up.

Of course, I am not even close to being finished with shopping. Our temperatures have come up to close to 70 and I don't have a fireplace.

BUT..next week could be a whole different story. My drink is normally bourbon and coke. And everyone else is pretty much beer, or maybe wine. I was going to try to make it a little less "redneck".  hehe

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 08:01:22 pm »
The sad part is that there actually is a beautiful, fully functional fireplace in my suite, but we are not allowed to use it. Landlords are totally opposed to the idea.  :'(

So we light these pathetic candles on the ledge of it and pretend  :D

About the redneck booze-- we gotta clever up a bit like those aristocrats--they've managed to justify morning drinking: "champagne at brunch" Really is that too far from a beer with breakfast?  ;D ;D

Viking Lady

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 08:18:35 pm »
he he. No, you're right about that. It's all in the wording I suppose. I am not from the south, my mother is. But I have ended up here and have found that there is something wonderful about people in the south. They are honest about what they think and do. They don't care if you like it or not, that's just the way they are. They don't insist that others do it, or approve of it, they are just what they are. Now, at my age, that appeals to me. Whether I agree or not, I appreciate honesty.

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 08:37:33 pm »
They are honest about what they think and do. They don't care if you like it or not, that's just the way they are. They don't insist that others do it, or approve of it, they are just what they are. Now, at my age, that appeals to me. Whether I agree or not, I appreciate honesty.

Absolutely!

As much as I appreciate the the whole go green, go health ride your bicycle to work (one less car!), petition-protest- rally-campaign-awareness week Vancouver attitude, I am equally turned-off though by how strong it can be pushed on an individual.

I love Vancouver and the people here, but we could use a touch of that kind of honesty.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 08:47:21 pm by GoofyNewfie »