Author Topic: Finding generic Brand name  (Read 5531 times)

jesday

Finding generic Brand name
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:36:30 am »
Does anyone know how to find what the actual brand is of a store label? For instance Costco sells things under the Kirkland name. Kirkland laundry detergent can actually be Tide, but by not revealing the company name they can sell it at a cheaper price.

I'm asking because I buy canned dog food from them and add a couple of tablespoons to Soph & Sy's quality dry food. By doing this I can get them to eat all the good stuff.

I have just discovered Chili will eat this combination as well. Years of food issues with this guy. I almost lost him because of his damn finickiness. I would be thrilled if he will eat real dog food again.

So, back to my question - I'd like to find out what brand of canned food it is so I can buy smaller cans for him. I know this is silly, but once a larger can hits the fridge for next day he won't eat it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Viking Lady

Re: Finding generic Brand name
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:07:23 am »
I'm not very knowledgable (?) on the computer. I just type in simple questions in google or whatever. And most of the time I can find an answer. I would just try Who makes Kirkland dog food?

jesday

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:39:35 am »
Looks like it's made by American Nutrition. Here's a press release from the recall days. http://www.costco.com/Service/FeaturePage.aspx?ProductNo=11219272 The link it provides doesn't work but if you google American Nutrition Inc., you come up with this site:

http://www.anibrands.com/about.htm

Eeeek! Looks like I need to keep Chili on chicken and take it out of the big bubs food. Thanks for the info.

jesday

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 10:42:31 am »
I'm guessing I've tried every kind of tiny canned food produced. The first time we almost lost him to, well, self starvation, my vet had me try meat baby food. He ate it for awhile then scoffed at it. Pretty expensive stuff too for the amount you get.

He will literally go for days without eating, causing his blood sugar to drop drastically. Rotisserie chicken seems to be the only constant thing he eats.

I've been asked more than once for my Chicken chili recipe when people see Chili chicken on my shopping list. :D

Seriously, I've been concerned he is not getting the right nutrition for the past 5 years from eating only chicken. Which is why I was happy to see him eat big bub's food. He will be 14 next week, has a heart murmur rated 5 on a scale up to 6, has a collapsed trachea, and goes into serious wheezing fits. My vet says, "Let him eat chicken."

Thanks for the info on Costco food however. I'm taking Soph and Syrus off it immediately even if it's only a couple of tablespoons. :o Their regular food is grain free. 

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:53:41 am »
Boy..this food thing is exhausting, isn't it? I've spent more time reading about dog food than I ever did raising four children. Every time I think I've made up my mind something makes me question it.

I just can't make sense of the fact that good food is so expensive for dogs and for humans.

jesday

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 03:09:16 pm »
Have you tried satin balls with chili?

Also, have you ever thought about supplementing his chicken with nutrical http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=587

Thanks, I just searched the forums and found the recipe for Satin balls. It can't hurt to try them. I know two other bubs who would love them if Chili doesn't.

I have tried 'nutritious gravy that you add to their food for extra vitamins' But I haven't tried nutrical. Chili is going to get a lot of stuff in his stocking this year.  ;)

jesday

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 03:14:33 pm »
Boy..this food thing is exhausting, isn't it? I've spent more time reading about dog food than I ever did raising four children. Every time I think I've made up my mind something makes me question it.

I just can't make sense of the fact that good food is so expensive for dogs and for humans.

I know! I remember as a kid we fed our dogs Lucky Dog because it was the cheapest. On special occasions my mom might pick up a bag of Gravy Train.

Of course that was back in the day when the airforce base would bug bomb the entire base housing with DDT and we'd play hide-and-seek in the DDT fog. :o

Healthy living wasn't so much on the front burner in those days. :D Not to mention healthy dogs.

Viking Lady

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 03:20:38 pm »
he he. We fed Ken L Ration and table scraps! our collie lived to be 14 somehow.

I remember the bug fog! That may explain why we seem to share some commonalities. (I may have made that word up)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 03:33:51 pm »
You should deffinately try the satin balls. When I first got penny she was skin and bones and I couldn't get her to eat. The only thing that got her to eat anything was to rub a little corn syrup in her mouth (a home rememdy for hypoglycemia) and then she would nibble a little. She didn't start eating full meals until after I started giving her bits of satin balls. It only took two or three spread out over a week to get her weight to be aceptably skinny and after the satin balls "whet her appetite" she started eating real food.

Nutrical isn't a tasty topper to make food appealing - it's more of a medicine to supplement if a dog isn't get adequate nutirition from eating
RIP former BPO

jesday

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 03:55:26 pm »
he he. We fed Ken L Ration and table scraps! our collie lived to be 14 somehow.

I remember the bug fog! That may explain why we seem to share some commonalities. (I may have made that word up)

We may share a few dead brain cells as well. ;D