Author Topic: any ideas?????  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
any ideas?????
« on: December 14, 2008, 04:56:13 am »
hi guys.....early this morning our six year old female saint
was sleeping (I think) on the floor and she began to kick around.......w e could not "wake her up"  she was in whatver it was really deep.  my hubby and i both were talking to her and rubbing her trying to see what was wrong....it was like she didn't even know we were there....it lasted i would say a good minute....then we finally were able to get her to notice us and we got her up...she walked around kind of "dazed".  My daughter said that this had happened before
when she was sleeping with her ...she thought that she was
just having a bad dream......it just seemed like more than a dream though.  should we be concerned????
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: any ideas?????
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 06:34:09 am »
holly,   thanks for your quick response...... what causes the seizures?  anything that we are doing? anything that we are using in the house? thanks.
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 06:43:00 am »
Sounds like a seizure for sure. Seizures can be caused from a wide range of things...from genetics to an outside source such as something around the home. I would give your vet a call and let them know. They may want to see the dog just to do a health check, but as was said they normally do not give meds unless it becomes a pattern.
Some dogs and people have one and never have one again.

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 07:26:54 am »
This was a long time ago. But I remember our collie having a couple real small ones. When my dad took him to the vet he said Duke had the biggest tonsils he had ever seen so he took them out. He never had another one. Don't know if that makes sense but........... .....

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 12:50:26 pm »
I agree that it sounds like a seizure. Sometimes dogs "run" in their sleep, but they would wake when you touch or call them. My saint bernard Zoey (rip) had seizures, but hers were "focal seizures" and showed as teeth chattering. Whenever she would run in her sleep we would call her name and she always woke  right up, and that's how we knew she was having a vivid dream instead of a seizure. So the fact that she didn't wake makes it sound like a grand mal seizure to me. Also, the "dazed" feeling you saw is probably post-iptic shock - basically, when you have a seizure, it overloads your brain with more stimulus than it can handle and you experience this thing called post-iptic shock while your brain tries to get itself back to normal. It can last anywhere from minutes to days or even weeks depending on the severity of the seizure.

I would recommend seeing if there is a vet in your area who specializes in neurology.

I have a weird question. What does she walk like? Does she lift her front legs (sort of like a horse's gait) more than your other saints?

RIP former BPO

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 02:51:07 pm »
I really can't say that she walks different   although she does "hop" on her back legs at times.  by the way, her name is Zoey also.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 02:52:51 pm by Thelma »
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

What a Ride!!!~

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 03:04:08 pm »
I might talk to the vet too.  Grace does the deep sleep with kicks and barks too, but a slight touch always wakes her up instantly.   let us know what you find out.

Offline kpost

• Gnawer
  • My Boys
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 06:51:55 am »
If it was a seizure, your vet will need to run tests to make sure there is not an underlining condition. The Chihuahua we just took in suffers from cluster seizure 3-4 times a year for the last 5 years. I have been doing a lot of reading, on this. Zoomer has no underling reason for the seizures so he is considered epileptic. I am currently trying him on all natural food this is what I feed my Mastiffs and I have read that certain preservatives and chemicals case cause and trigger seizures. Here are 2 sites that i found informative.http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/site_map.htm
http://www.drschoen.com/articles_L1_15.html I hope that it was not a seizure but it does have the characteristic s of one. I have heard of dogs having one or 2 for an unknown reason then never having them again. Also if you see one again, do not put yourself anywhere near the mouth, when seizing a dog can clamp down and not let go. also move anything hard out of the way to prevent injury.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 06:54:35 am by kpost »
~Kim
Mother of 2 young girls ages 5 & 8
Wife of 1 great man
A dog lover but I am biased towards Mastiffs
6 yr. old male brindle Mastiff Rescue named Beau (my Velcro dog)
< 1 yr. Old Male Fawn Mastiff Named Sanuk
10 year old chihuahua named Zoomer
1 yr old Blue fronted Amazon named Kitty