Author Topic: Mandolin VS GoofyNewfie: 1/0  (Read 9775 times)

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Mandolin VS GoofyNewfie: 1/0
« on: December 15, 2008, 07:27:32 pm »
I'm in a post-y mood but typing is not so good...

I was using a mandolin to julienne some beets, and caught my ring finger right in there...  :o ouch, indeed.

So I'm by myself, there are no more band-aids, my hand is a mix of gushing blood and beet juice so it looks 10 times worse than it actually is. And I couldn't open the dang child-proof cap for the disinfectant so I ended up stabbing the bottle lol...All this is accompanied by frantic singing/yelping... And now I have this huge ridiculous gauze mega finger  ::)

Diesel is one calm puppy. He just walked over, waited by the door of the bathroom till I was done. He keeps insisting on inspecting the mega-finger...thank goodness he's gentle.
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Viking Lady

Re: Mandolin VS GoofyNewfie: 1/0
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:34:15 pm »
Oh, gosh!! Did the bleeding stop? I love and hate mandolins for that very reason. The first time I used one I cut myself.

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:54:27 pm »
I haven't yet dared open up the gauze on the mega-finger. See no evil, right?

I usually have that healthy respect(fear) for the mandolin, but today I forgot to have my inner chant of "don't cut yourself, don't cut yourself..."

Gotta love those fast and perfect juliennes, though...  :)

Viking Lady

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 08:09:36 pm »
I guess if it's not bleeding through the gauze that's a good sign. The only other thing I can think of is holding your hand up in the air. I'm always afraid to look after I slap a bandage on something. Applying pressure and elevating are all I can think of to do.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 01:30:05 am »
Used one in the resturant and they will most definately get you if your not careful. I'm guessing it took the skin off so watch using too much ointment. It needs to dry so infection won't grow. I'm a huge fan of hydrogen peroxide. Try leaving the bandages off at night so it will stay dry.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 02:19:11 pm »
A mandolin is a device to thinly slice or to julienne.

You run the item down towards the blade, with, preferably, no fingers.  :-[

Viking Lady

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:55:39 pm »
How's your finger?

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 11:46:20 am »
It's ugly, thanks for asking! Been sticking to the knives for last few days... ;)

We're a bit broke this year for Christmas so we are making a bunch of crazy canning to give as gifts. I thought I would be set back by the injury, (I hate cooking with an out-of-order finger) but today I found my hubby in the kitchen making pear jam! Looks like we are back on track.

Viking Lady

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 04:43:12 am »
Nummy! That's the best kind of gift. (if you don't get your finger in it, that is)

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 11:52:53 pm »
I wish you were a neighbor, I've got so many goodies, and we're not even done yet! So far theres the pickled beets the spicy long beans, herb and garlic, pomegranate jam, the pear jam...

I've somehow singed some of the skin on my fingers from the garlic, could you believe that! Pretty strong stuff... Then the beet juice dye and the Mega Finger and all, I'm looking pretty mangled, lol.

Viking Lady

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 04:23:04 am »
Sitting here doing my Saturday morning ritual...drink ing coffee, balancing my checkbooks, checking BPO and watching the Food Channel. Suddenly this blonde restaurant chef starts going to town slicing a garlic clove on a mandolin. Just made me think of you. I don't think I will use one again with out a pair of pliars!

Wish I was a neighbor, too. Your food gifts sound wonderful. It's not raining there is it?

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 10:51:13 am »
Would you believe-it's actually snowing! And it has been, all week. I'm actually pretty happy, I'm from the east coast and I haven't had a white Christmas in years.

But I must admit, the thing I like the most about the rainy season thing in Vancouver is that when it's over, it's abruptly over. No springtime snow melting that lasts 2 months and creates puddles and disgusting brown slush all over the road.

PS I LOVE the food channel. We've gotten rid of cable and it's probably the only thing I miss about it.

Viking Lady

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 04:32:55 pm »
I lived on the east coast for a while. New York and New Hampshire. I do remember the brown slush. I don't like it. Don't like yellow snow either!

Well, I'm glad you will have your white Christmas. That should be nice.

I only watch the Food channel and HGTV now because the rest is stupid or depressing. So you aren't missing anything. I only watch enough news to stay informed and then change the channel or turn it off.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 04:47:09 pm »
Ah so that's what a mandolin is.  and here I'm thinking you're slicing and dicing with a small guitar type thing......... ......lol.  ::)  ::)

Hope your finger isn't too bad.