Author Topic: First Heat?  (Read 10553 times)

Luvmydanes

First Heat?
« on: August 14, 2005, 03:51:08 pm »
Hey everyone! Hope everyone is doing well. We have been staying busy, like always. lol.

Anyways, a quick question - how can we keep Jasmine and Dane away from each other when Jasmine goes into heat? I know they can go as early as 6 months, which Jasmine will be in about another 2 weeks, and we are trying to keep them separated. We divided our yard and put one on each side and they have decided to just leap over the fence to get to each other, which will be bad bad bad when she is in heat! Any suggestions?

Kandi

Offline elmo

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: First Heat?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 04:05:32 pm »
i wouldent worry too much at the moment 12 months pluss is more the norn but if he can smell her he will do anything to get to her

Luvmydanes

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 04:18:13 pm »
So should I not separate them yet? Or is it just safer to start doing it now? This is my 1st time owning a male and a female together, so I don't have a clue what to do!

Kandi

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 05:37:20 pm »
I have a seven month old Great Pyrenees.  I use a white tissue to check her daily for discharge so I will know when she goes into heat.  I will not have a problem with my boy Pyr he has been fixed.  I plan to only let her outside when I am with her.  I have some boxer shorts for her inside so the blood drops do not make a mess.  I have only put them on her once so it is going to be fun (not) trying to keep them on her for a week or so. 

Lisa
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005, 03:39:55 am by DixieSugarBear »
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 07:06:15 pm »
I suggest sending him to a friends or relative untill its over? Best way to protect accidents. 
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline Phillips

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Dixie & Brutis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 07:07:22 pm »
I have a male chi and a female boxer. So i am going to let him stay with mother in law or put her outside. 
Boxer slobbers from Dixie and Brutis

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 07:59:46 pm »
keep the bitch or male crated untill the bitch is out of heat

or  do you have a friend or family member to watch the male for you?
best  answer i can give you

we have males and females here and never had the wrong male breed to a bitch

lots of patience and seperation

good luck
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 08:14:27 pm »

I have other questions:

Why are both your dogs intact?

Do you plan to show your dogs?

Do you plan to breed your dogs?

What research have you done about breeding and your breed in particular if you plan to breed?

No, a fence will not keep them apart, and your bitch in season will not be safe outdoors when she is in season no matter how she is fenced.

When I have a bitch in season, she is either crated inside my house or she is WITH ME period.

Mother nature has ways of ensuring that procreation happens. Get ready for endless whining, screaming, scratching, digging, panting, and a male dog that does not eat.

Get ready for a smelly messy female who will try just as hard to get to the boys as the boys will try to get to her.

Be prepared to be on the alert for about 60 days after each season for infections or pyometra on the part of your girl.

Your best tactic is to have one OR BOTH of them altered. Keeping an intact male to use on the female you have is not really wise, since if you have the female, you have an entire country of the top males to choose from.

Just my first 2 cents worth....
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 09:25:24 pm »
Also beware
PYOMETRA is a killer of intact females.
normally and this is not a rule, they get it within three weeks of going out of heat.
seperating the yard aint gonna do it.
crating the two side by side.
and believe me, having an intact male in the house with girls in heat is h*ll
i have dealt with this for years, and my husband is finally understanding it after six patient years of dealing with it.
i also wonder why both are intact and would say that nueter is the only safe and sane thing to do, unless you were to breed and start a program.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 09:58:09 pm »
**bump**
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2005, 02:53:22 am »
So should I not separate them yet? Or is it just safer to start doing it now? This is my 1st time owning a male and a female together, so I don't have a clue what to do!

Kandi

1) Spay the female

2) Neuter the male

3) Stop worrying about separating them.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005, 02:44:32 am »
i have a question that goes along with this when is the best time to alter your pup? i have a female that is 12 wks old.  i have heard it said that it shouldn't be done till after their first heat, some people say exactly 6 mnths and some people say even younger.  the locale spca does pups of pretty much any age over 6 wks.  is this a good idea? i understand as a shelter why with the growing epidemic of unewanted puppies in my city and in the country in general but i have to worry that there may be problems with too young as well as too old

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 04:43:28 am »

You get the most health benefits with bitches by spaying BEFORE the first season.

This radically reduces her chances of breast cancer later in life.

It also eliminates the possibility of any accidental pregnancy, or uterine infections that can happen after a bitch has been in season.

On larger breeds I would recommend 6 to 7 months of age as a reasonable time for OVH (ovario hysterectomy, spay is really an incorrect term that means to remove the ovaries only :D )
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com

BabsT

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 05:00:57 am »
I plan on spaying my female caucasian....T he average first heat for the breed is 13-15 months...I am going to do it 11-12 months...Zero will stay intact because the breeder may want him as a stud dog if all the health, TT's and ratings do well...otherwi se I will neuter him by 2.5 years old.. Right now he is 11months and I havent had any issue with him...His temp is starting to show I should say getting stronger by the day but not towards his 'pack'

If for some reason she comes into heat early, Zero will stay with my parents and she will be crated in the house or leashed with me outside in my fenced yard only

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 05:03:37 am »

Having him leave would greatly simplify things for you.

I have had more than one male dog sleeping in a crate in the van in the garage when I had a girl in heat.

LOL
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com