Author Topic: First Heat?  (Read 10556 times)

BabsT

Re: First Heat?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 05:11:21 am »
I can imangine...I know I am cutting it close but with breeds like this I am putting it off as long as I can...If she did come into season, how long after her heat is over can I spay her?

My breeder prefers 2 cycles with this breed but understands I have an intact male in the house of another breed and have no intention on wanting puppies or an accidental litter.

These breeds really dont develop fully that is why I am trying to hold off

Offline jinx athena's mommy

• Gnawer
  • athena is the black one
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 05:12:32 am »
thanks i'm going to aim for the 7mnth mark then

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 05:13:39 am »

I would probably give her 30 days or so post season before spaying her. That gives her time to get rid of the extra blood flow to the area that is present during a heat cycle.

A responsible person can handle living with intact males and females, but most of the time it ain't no picnic.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

BabsT

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 05:22:16 am »
I know I can handle it if it happened but my issue more so is my 7 year old little boy.  I understand the desire to reproduce is one of the strongest instincts in animals...so an amimal wouldnt act as normal and accidents may happen because of their desire to reprpduce

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 05:44:43 am »

Eggggggzactly.

That is one reason why I have ONLY girls.

;)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 07:30:53 pm »
My vet was able to spay Maia about 3 weeks after she starting bleeding in her heat cycle and she is still having some blood discharge so I would wait out that 30 days that Red said so you can get the bloody part over.

Rocco is nuetered and it was still a hassle having Maia in heat with him around.  He may be neutered but he got the idea of what his job would have been in the wild and he felt it was his duty to perform his job on any part of her body he could get to.

I have always heard to spay your female before the first heat at 6 months to avoid unnecessary health issues.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Offline Talladega

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 08:20:49 pm »
Hello... i just want to put a picture of my puppy on here :)~  I have a Fawnequin, Great Dane... she is 9 months

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 08:48:12 pm »
In our breed i disagree with spaying BEFORE first season, instead i encourage my people to let them go thru one heat cycle for the girls, and hold off as long as they can thru 18 months for the boys.
the hormones are linked to the maturity etc.. and a 1% decrease in chance of mammory cancer is not enough to convince me that it is worthwhile to spay before the growth plates are closed.
there are many studies out there that are for, and many that are against early altering.
the responsibility lies in the owners hands.
crating the two side by side while she is in cycle.
no together time period.
and no running the fenceline together period.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 09:05:52 pm »
we also do not believe in S/N before 1 year old here. our bitches usually come into 1st heat about 13/14 months old
the males are done at 1 year.
they do need the hormones and growth plates to develope nicley.
  we watch our puppy people as carfully as we can, especially with the males, since they can produce at a young age.  if the bitch is in season and due to be spayed,,,,,,,it's the owners responsibility to keep males away from her, not even near her, and drive the poor male crazy. (boys will be boys) best bet is place either one at a friend or family for 3 weeks  untill a heat cycle is sure to pass.
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

BabsT

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 09:07:16 pm »
Question..If I allow my female to have her first heat....what is the best way to keep them apart...I would try and keep Zero in another home BUT I dont know if he would do well for 3 weeks in another home

any suggestions... my husband wants to do it at 12 months regardless if she comes into heat or not

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 09:14:39 pm »
i think you should go ahead and have her spayed,,,,,,,,,,
 better then a unwanted litter at a young age,,,,,,,,
i'm sure she will be fine
at least you are doing the right thing and i sure am glad there are dog owners out there like you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, want  a ridgeback???lmao,,,,,,,,joking

BabsT

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 09:21:39 pm »
LOL...Thanks.. .I try...If I do allow her to have a heat...I will give her clorophyll gel caps and take Zero with me for the day  6:30-4:30pm and keep her in the house...

Then when I come home I will move her crated to the spare bedroom upstairs and keep Zero leashed with me when in the house until bed and then crated in my bedroom

Durin the second week of her heat, I will have my son stay at my parents where he used to lvie with me before I got married when it is the most tense and go from there

I guess it all depends on where she is at 12 months LOL

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2005, 09:24:03 pm »
great,,,,,,,,good luck ;D

BabsT

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 09:31:59 pm »
I am sure it will be my first and last attempt too LMAO  On the othe hand, I like a challenge