Author Topic: puppies and their shots....how often?  (Read 6570 times)

Offline mal222

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
puppies and their shots....how often?
« on: December 23, 2008, 03:49:10 am »
ok so i've been taking my two pups to the vet once a month getting them both two shots each time on vets orders. i was wondering if thats right? it seems a bit much to me. i've had my boys for 3 months now and haven't had a puppy before that since i was 13 so i don't know for sure. not only is it very expensive but it just seems odd to me. but i'm prob just out of the loup! haha i'm going to ask around from other vets in our area but i'd thought i'd check with anyone here first to see if thats right or if i'm just being to paranoid?
Pike: bullmastiff
Mooney: pit/mastiff

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: puppies and their shots....how often?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 09:03:21 am »
There is a lot of controversy re vaccinating  :-\

I am a big anti vaccine person, for me and my dog. Lily got two shots, one at 8 weeks and one at 12. I did a titer at 4 months abd she had all the immunity she needed. I also did a titer at 1 year and she was just as protected. I am not going to vaccinate her for anything but rabies. My vet is fine with that as long as I do titers every three years  :)

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 04:25:32 pm »
I have to start researching this again.  So many trains of thought on how to split them up.   :-\  I switched to the three year schedule when my guys got older.  We don't do Bordetella or Lyme's.  I'm not sure how we'll break it down for our new addition.

:) (Jay gave the ok for me to get another puppy with the stipulations that it can't be short haired, has to have health clearances and I have to wait until after the holidays.  I'm looking at Aussies in particular.  Though I wish there were long haired danes.   :-[ )
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline mal222

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 08:21:54 pm »
thats good to hear. but hes giving them the same shots everytime. maybe a lil dif. but for our mastiff he's always giving him a bordetella shot, one a month every month. we've had many distemper, parainfluenza, parvovirus(understand this one)shots, and already two rabie shots. and he's only 5months old. my pit/mastiff has only gottin one rabie shot and of course the regular shots. does that still seem rite?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 04:18:45 am »
but hes giving them the same shots everytime. maybe a lil dif. but for our mastiff he's always giving him a bordetella shot, one a month every month. we've had many distemper, parainfluenza, parvovirus(understand this one)shots, and already two rabie shots. and he's only 5months old. my pit/mastiff has only gottin one rabie shot and of course the regular shots. does that still seem rite?
I think it's pretty crazy :o I don't see how your vet can see this vaccination schedule reasonable  :-\
Bordetella is normally only given once a year and it's one of the most unnecessary. I take my dog to classes, dog parks, shows, you name it and she never got kennel cough. Only dogs with compromized immune system can get it.
And yes, rabies shot should be given by itself and at least a week or two apart from DHPP shot :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline mal222

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 04:44:02 am »
thanx for the help again! i felt like something just wasnt right. i'm going to go talk to my old vet of mine that we had when i was younger, after xmas. he has a long wonderful reputation of doin great work. the only reason i didnt go to him from the beginning was cause our breeders had takin our pups there from the begining and spoke highly of him. i should of went with my first instinct about staying with my original vet! never again will i go against it! thanx very much again to everyone!!!!