Author Topic: NDR: Marry Me  (Read 10589 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
NDR: Marry Me
« on: December 28, 2008, 06:13:56 am »
Aaron and I are not planning an actual wedding ceremony, but want to do something special and relatively affordable.

Any ideas?

We've talked about Vegas and getting married on a cruise, but nothing seems "just right" yet.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: NDR: Marry Me
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 08:35:36 am »
I really like the idea of a beach wedding. Maybe we could go to Cozumel - I bet things are cheap there right now as they rebuild from the hurricanes.

We were tentatively planning for January 2010 because Aaron's mom is in Australia until next Christmas and she really wants to be there for it.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:42:55 am »
when me and my ex got married we got married on a heart shaped beach in St. Thomas, USVI.  the cruise was the biggest expense.  But the wedding was under $500.  www.weddingsth eislandway.com    they pick you up at the dock and drive you to the beach, take pics and video if that's what you order, they take care of all the paper work and all you have to do the day you get there is go to the courthouse and sign the marriage certificate.  I thought it was a simple, luxurious and elegant feeling ceremony. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 10:44:34 am »
Wow! I'm so glad I asked you guys. These are excellent ideas. I had no idea.

Lin, what cruise line did you use?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 10:50:23 am »
Dan and I have talked about doing a sandals weddingmoon http://www.sandals.com/weddingmoons/weddings/
RIP former BPO

Viking Lady

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:10:50 am »
I dunno.......so mebody else just fell off another cruise ship the other day. I'd stay on the beach....Beach weddings are lovely.(just before sunset)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 11:27:48 am »
Wow! I'm so glad I asked you guys. These are excellent ideas. I had no idea.

Lin, what cruise line did you use?
we took the Princess cruise line.  It is the more elegant line.  Royal Carribean is the fun cruise line.  we didn't know what day we were getting married since we had to go with the day that the ship docked in St. Thomas.  And it had to be at 10 am since we weren't staying overnight on the island.  a sunset wedding would have been nice.  If you want one of those you could always fly down there and do one of those all inclusive stays on the island.  St. Thomas is a beautiful place.  When you cruise, you have about 6 hours to do all the touring of the islands you land on.  
the cruise line may also offer weddings on the ship.  I know a few people got married on the ship while we were on it.  I personally liked the beach wedding on the island better.   There are a ton of wedding planning site for the caribbean.  Weddings the island way does the eastern caribbean....l ooks like the sandals website handles the western caribbean, which looks gorgeous too.  it just depends on the area you want to go to and how much extra paperwork is needed for the western caribbean side.  St. Cruz, St. Lucia and those places will require a passport and some extra kind of paperwork since it would be an out of country wedding.  if you go that direction, start planning NOW since that will take a waiting period.  And if you go to the USVI, start planning at least a month ahead of time since there is a 30 day period you have to have them file your paperwork ahead of the wedding date. 
Look into an all-inclusive week or so on the island.  A travel agent can probably get you a great deal.  Late April and early May is the end of their tourist season, so it's not so busy there and they make great deals that time of year.  there is a gorgeous hotel right on the beach overlooking the bay on St. Thomas. There are a lot of pretty beach side restaurants and shops too.  Plus, it's a US territory...no need for a passport. 
What I really liked about weddings the island way was that they took care of all the paperwork and the wedding prep.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 11:38:58 am by Lin »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 11:41:36 am »
Did weddings the island way charge a fee?

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 11:43:22 am »
A fee?   we paid them for the ceremony, the pictures, the video and everything in one package amount.  I'm not sure what you mean by a fee.  It was all tied into a package.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 11:51:07 am »
Gotcha. I just checked the website and figured that out. Prices aren't bad, but I still have to figure in the cost of getting there if we decide to use this. I like the idea of having a wedding coordinator to help with the stuff.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 11:54:58 am »
Gotcha. I just checked the website and figured that out. Prices aren't bad, but I still have to figure in the cost of getting there if we decide to use this. I like the idea of having a wedding coordinator to help with the stuff.
it was very stressfree.  we basically just showed up.  they drove us back to town too afterwards.  No paying $20 for a trolley ride.  i bet at the right time of year, you can get a good package price for either a cruise or an all-inclusive trip.   I hear some cruises are around $500 a person now.  it was a little higher in 2001 when I went and airfare was included in the price.  but the cruise was the most expensive part.  
you'll figure it out.  but I would have to say that the caribbean, eastern, western or southern would be a very memorable and relaxing place to get married and honeymoon.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2008, 11:55:34 am »
I will definitely check those out.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 04:27:50 am »
My friends got married in the Dominican Republic.  They did an all inclusive trip.  As Lin said though with some countries and a time frame before the wedding, they had to be there three days before the wedding.  Family and friends showed up the day before, we stayed three days, then they stayed for another five.  Fun was had by all!!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 05:21:20 am »
Interesting idea. My little sister lives in Colorado and Aaron used to live there, too.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far! I can't wait to share them all with Aaron!