Author Topic: Pyr aggression  (Read 4617 times)

Offline Jackie12

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Pyr aggression
« on: December 29, 2008, 05:05:09 am »
My pyr just turned 7 months old.  He is usually very friendly with the dogs he meets.  Sometimes he is a little guarded, but then usually relaxes and has fun playing.  My nephew has a great dane puppy that is a few months younger but definitely larger than my puppy.  His puppy always wants to play, but my pyr wants to eat him alive for some reason.  Anyone have any suggestions on how I can get my puppy to calm down and accept the great dane? 

Thanks!

Offline Jackie12

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Pyr aggression
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 09:09:35 am »
Thank you.  I will try that.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 10:09:14 am »
Have you tried introducing them on neutral territory, or have they been introduced at your house or in your yard?  At 7 months, your pup is old enough to feel protective of you and/or your home and yard.  Off territory, you will usually get a different reaction.  That is how I always introduce a new dog to my bunch.  Good luck.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline Jackie12

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 10:23:52 am »
The first time Indy met the Great Dane was our local dog park.  Indy was use to meeting dogs there.  I'm not sure why he reacted to the dane the way he did except that for some reason he felt he needed to protect me.  I put Indy back on leash that day and the dane was put on leash and we walked together for a little while.  Then he seemed to calm down and we let them off leash.  Indy played just fine after that, however, he mostly played with our other dog that day.  He didn't seem to mind the dane joining in.

At the dog park this past Saturday was Indiana's second meet with the dane.  The dane came happily bounding up to Indiana and myself.  Indy did not like it one bit.  I was glad I had him on leash.

I have not had Indy go their house or their dog come here.  Maybe I will try that.