Author Topic: Meals  (Read 6276 times)

Viking Lady

Meals
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »
Are your dogs eating twice a day? Recently Luke is eating less. This Blue Buffalo doesn't say anything about age as far as I can tell. It just says an amount by weight and feed twice a day.

Viking Lady

Re: Meals
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:29:19 pm »
I should know what free feed is, but I don't. Luke doesn't seem to like just regular kibble but I am trying not to docotor it up much. I don't know if he doesn't like the food or if he's not that hungry.

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:14:24 am »
We feed the big guys 2 cups of Blue twice a day, and the ankle biters free feed.  Vet says all are a healthy weight!

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:03:15 am »
My dogs are fed twice a day.  My pyr will and has gone as long as 2 days and not eaten a bite.  I think it is just a pyr thing.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 11:20:44 am »
Thank you everybody. I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I have tried not to add too much to the dry food just to get him to eat. Last time I wrote what I was offering there were people wanting to come eat with him! I was overdoing it.

And it's true about activity too. He has been less active, not that he's ever highly active, mostly due to this unending rain we've been having. We are now getting 2-5 more inches and having some flooding problems.

Maybe he's also depressed. I am. I might need to get us one of those sun lamps to sit under.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 02:49:20 pm »
When she was an only dog Ursa was the same way.  She was quite possibly the slowest eater alive!  Now that she feels like she has to compete a little with the other two she's really picked up the pace.

I wouldn't call her food motivated.  She's not a chow hound like the Newfs.  Never begs at the table.  Doesn't counter surf.  This would be a dream come true if it didn't make it so hard to find a treat she's willing to work for in training!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:28:35 am »

I wouldn't call her food motivated.  She's not a chow hound like the Newfs.  Never begs at the table.  Doesn't counter surf.  This would be a dream come true if it didn't make it so hard to find a treat she's willing to work for in training!
Amen to that!
I feed Lily ones a day just for the reason of being picky. That way she doesn't see food all day and by the time I put her food bowl down she is somewhat interested in it  :P ::)

As for training classes, well, people call me a walking pet store...In my training bag I have about 15 bags of various treats, smoked sausage, hotdogs, cheese, steak, boiled chicken, you name it  >:( Other dogs would die for a mom like me  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)