Author Topic: Operation Deer Feed  (Read 7575 times)

jesday

Operation Deer Feed
« on: January 08, 2009, 04:21:44 am »
Here is a clip of our deer feeding set up. We have since added some hay as well. I had it wrapped up in heavy plastic and was storing it between the fence and the black box and they managed to get their teeth through the fence and rip through the plastic. Greedy little buggers!

We now have a small herd of 6-7 deer eating at Dayley's Deer Diner.

http://homepage.mac.com/jesday/filechute/Bubs%20and%20Sleds.wmv

And yes, this is typical behavior of me. Many have wondered how I have survived 52 years. :D

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Deer Feed
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:41:37 am »
WOW is that legal with you live?  I dont think it is here, makes it easier for hunters to get um, and makes them more likely to go onto people property after the cattles food, again making them easy, and legal to shoot, any time of year.

neat to watch though

AudgePadge

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:45:24 am »
that really is....too much snow...lol..bu t i liked the video!

jesday

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:23:18 am »
WOW is that legal with you live?  I dont think it is here, makes it easier for hunters to get um, and makes them more likely to go onto people property after the cattles food, again making them easy, and legal to shoot, any time of year.

neat to watch though

Yeah, that is the first thing we checked. It is legal, but you can't feed as bait to get them to come in for hunting. Hunting season is over this year anyway.  We have 10 acres, and there is absolutely NO HUNTING on our property. Not only because of the deer, but I can just see someone thinking our bubs are black bears and going for that new cabin rug >:(
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:23:56 am by El'skids »

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 07:27:44 am »
I dont agree with trophy hunting, if you are gonna eat it then fine, but to kill something just to hang it on the wall makes me nuts.

My brother and youngest hunt, for food only.

jesday

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 07:33:55 am »
In total agreement with you there. We have a few friends who fill their freezer and live off their meat until next season.

No problem at all feeding the family.

We had another friend who went on big game safaris in Africa. Last we heard he bagged the most beautiful lion. Why???? Scope your game from a mile away and claim you had the thrill of the hunt. I don't get it. :( ???

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 07:57:11 am »
I know one person who got a lion, but he used a bow, at least he had to be somewhat close for that, LOL.

My brother and his family eat for most of a year off of what he and his son get, they also hunt moose, ducks and geese.  The only beef they eat is one that my sister in law's father raises and butchers, they even do that themselves.

AudgePadge

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 08:14:29 am »
My boss hunts in Africa every other year...and he spends about 4 months outta the year in Montana... He's got elephant tusks in the entry way, and antelope chairs...its sad... :(

I know one person who got a lion, but he used a bow, at least he had to be somewhat close for that, LOL.

I knew a guy who hunted with a bow, and a falcon...I think that's more skillful than sitting in a tree for 5 days and shooting whatever walks underneath you

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 03:10:47 pm »
I've gotta say, I opened that thread thinking it was about raw feeding.  ::) Silly me.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:35:39 pm »
What a sweet thing to do! Awesome!
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 04:00:23 pm »
Great video!  I especially liked your husband's "candid comments" about your sledding ability!  Too funny!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us