Author Topic: Another Food Question: Need help on choosing single protein source  (Read 7370 times)

DenverFurKiddos

GAWD....Holly- these posts are probably getting really annoying for you!  I'm so sorry!  I searched previous posts and couldn't find info on this....

Winston is currently on California Natural Chicken and Rice.  Due to his skin/coat/ear problems, we suspected allergies and have been trying single source proteins to weed out the problem. 

Winston is only doing "ok" on the Chicken and Rice.  No ear problems, but he does have dry skin, itching, and his coat his super thin.  For this purpose, as well as the fact that he's been on an only chicken protein source for a while, I thought it might be time to explore his tolerance to other protein sources. 

If I stick with California Natural, the only other two  single-protein options are Lamb and Brown Rice and the other is Herring and Sweet Potato. 

I have my reservations about the Lamb (due to possible taurine deficiency and related heart problems), but know very little about how good Herring would be as his only protein source.  Any thoughts? 

P.S.  I might add....I've been trying to add fish oil to his diet, but it always results in loose stools....make s me worry about switching to a fish protein. 

Help!

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Another Food Question: Need help on choosing single protein source
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:42:21 am »
persoannly if i had any allergy problems i would definatly switch to a grain free food. there are many that have single proteins. sometimes chicken is a problem also. i think you may find that fish as in food is different than adding fish oil to the food. it may be worth a try. potatoes being better than rice for allergies(i think of rice as a grain??) lots of lamb based food add taurine but i would check the labels. i have no allergy issues but feed both mine orijen and both have such amazing health skin and coats.

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:44:51 am »
I am not Holly but would like to add my 2c  :)
If you want to stick with California Natural you shouldn't have any issues with loose stool from Herring. You might also consider Orijen 6 Fish. I know a few dogs who had allergies and itchy skin and doing very well on it  ;) :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 04:01:10 am »
Ugh...Don't you know...it doesn't look like it's sold anywhere nearby me.  Do you order online?   

I see that's it's out of stock on Petfooddirect. com.  Do you pay around $67.00 for the 27lb bag???  Ouch..that seems really pricey!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 04:03:45 am »

I see that's it's out of stock on Petfooddirect. com.  Do you pay around $67.00 for the 27lb bag???  Ouch..that seems really pricey!
I buy it in the store for $69 a bag BUT Lily only eats 2-2.5 cups a day and one bag lasts two months! It's $2.00 a day to feed one dog (with wet food expense) and much less spent on vets  ;)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:39:56 am by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 04:06:58 am »
You're right.... ;D  Plus, I'm guessing that Winston is way smaller than Lilly (He's only around 90lbs), so he may eat even less! 

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 04:36:18 am »
You're right.... ;D  Plus, I'm guessing that Winston is way smaller than Lilly (He's only around 90lbs), so he may eat even less! 
Um, Lily is only 80lbs  :P She just wants to look big! LOL
Mary W. Crane

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 05:11:39 am »
As an aside have you had his thyroid checked?  A major culprit in hair and skin problems

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2009, 02:19:37 pm »
No, we haven't..... Thanks for asking- I'll look into that.  I've never heard of the thyroid causing these problems.  Thanks!