Author Topic: Animal Cages  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Animal Cages
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:07:51 pm »
As y'all know, I have three female rats. The cage I have them in is a squeeze, and I know the older girls get in each others way a lot. Before the baby gets too much bigger I want to get them a nice new spacey cage. The one I am looking at is from "Martin's Cages" and is the Rat Tower (R-690). I know SO many of the members here have tons of other critters, and I was wondering if anyone has tried these cages, (for any type of animal) and what you thought of them. They seem like nice sturdy cages, and well priced.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Cages
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:56:46 pm »
Personally, I'm not one for wire cages.  I see them for sale all the time on Craigslist, and they don't really impress me.  But that's just me, I know alot of people do use them.

It is a good size though.  The one I have for my rats is 23x23x40.  I looked at several cages before finally deciding on the one I have.  Although I wouldn't have needed one so big for just 2 rats, what sold me is that it comes with the option to put it on wheels.  Mine is by Superpet:

A bit pricey, but I got it during employee discount days so 30% off........... lol.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:57:40 am »
Awesome! I saw that cage and liked it, but I was worries my rats would be too retarded to work all the slides and stuff and all the space would be wasted. Does it work for your rats?
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 10:17:51 am »
It works great!  They use all the levels, but spend the majority of their time on the lower and third level (where the wheel is, they sleep in it).  One of the reasons i got it was b/c they are sooooo lazy I figured they would at least get some exercise going up and down the levels........ ..lol.  ::)  ::)  I swear my rats are the size of canteloupes!  :o  Or at least a large grapefruit.  ;D

When I first set it up, I put yogurt drops on each level as well as on the slide, ramp and connecting apparatus.  That way they investigated it alot quicker.

I did have to take down the hammock on the top.  All they did was pee/poo in it and it got really nasty.  :P

Only thing I was concerned about was the width of the bars, but they are 1 inch so once they put on some weight I wasn't' worried about them squeezing through.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:31:57 am »
Hahaha I can't wait to get some big BOY rats. They sound like such characters. I am totally in love with your guys! My girls would make quick work of knowing every crook and cranny of a new cage... Or new anything. The baby is still only about the size of your average mouse, so the bar spacing may be a problem. Do they actually slide  down the slide?? That I would pay good money to see. Lol Do your rats chew the plastic? They seem a little more chill than mine, but I'd be worried parts of the cage would disappear bite by bite!  :D
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 11:00:58 am »
They don't chew on it at all, only pee and poo on all of it............ .lol.  Makes it a bit of a pain to clean.  they're not big chewers, i feed them things to chew on to keep their teeth worn down.

They don't slide down the slide......... ..lol.  In fact, is is a piece I'll probably have to replace eventually.  It's only  held on by one snap b/c they're so heavy.  It has 3 snaps that hold it on to the upper piece and every time you stick it back together, they go up or down one time and it falls back apart and is just barely hanging on.  ::)

Yeah I was worried about the bar spacing at first too.  I kept them in a 20L gallon tank for close to a year before they graduated to the penthouse..... .....lol.

I think yours will slow down with age.  When mine were still in the store with the rest of their litter they were running all around with the rest of them.  But bring them home and they figured out they have it made so they don't have to do awhole lot and their needs are still met........... ..lol.