Author Topic: What isTHE BEST potty training method for 10 week old Saints?  (Read 7275 times)

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lucy and Charlie with puppy pal Bosley - 10 months
    • View Profile
What isTHE BEST potty training method for 10 week old Saints?
« on: January 14, 2009, 05:23:02 pm »
Our last Saint Bernard was a dream... she truly potty trained in about 5 days.... not to say there weren't accidents from time to time. 

We recently brought two Saint siblings Charlie Brown and Lucy, born Nov 15. into our lives. We do the immediate outside after eating and big praise with treats when potties are produced. .. However they seem to think they can pee where and whenever they want.  I am constantly stepping into huge puddles.  They have a specific room with puppy pads, and when I DO catch them that is where I put them or outside. Are they too young... or should we do crate training, I am really in a quandry.  All suggestions are welcome or point in a direction....A s a second challenge Lucy is a major chewer.  She has tons of chew toys and I replace the inappropriate item with an approved toy.
As always thank you so much!!!
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: What isTHE BEST potty training method for 10 week old Saints?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:34:53 pm »
All I can say is that I am a big fan of crate training. Since you have not just one pup, but two, I think you'll be surprised at how much of an advantage crate training will give you, and not just for potty training purposes. Do you know how to crate train? Sometimes people shy away from it because they are not sure how to introduce the dog, and they end up with a howling, crying pupy and then can't stand it and abondon the crate. I can give tips, or I'm sure someone even more experienced on here can.

How long have they been with you?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Viking Lady

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 05:46:35 pm »
I don't know what your schedule is like, working away from home or staying home. I am fortunate in that I was home with Luke when I got him. His "crate" was my bathroom. That's where he ate and slept. I took him outside first thing in the morning and we ran to the grass and that's where he did his "thing". I was amazed at how fast he learned. I was able to do lots of trips outside and just say what I wanted. I even said, "go poo" and within a reasonable amount of time he would.

The chewing....... ....no comment. Luke could have eaten my house and everything in it. And my arms didn't look too good either! I don't know what to say about that. Maybe time and more of what you're doing.

Good luck! They sure are cute!!

Debbie

Offline Akitamom08

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Porscha- My American Akita
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:11:10 pm »
I recommend Crate Training. I have had such successful results with crate training and recommend it to anyone asking whats the best way to house train. I have never been a fan of using puppy pads and have never used them. My Akita "Porscha" when i got her she was 8 weeks old and she was house trained in 7 days thanks to crate training. I was so proud and so happy. Of course you have to have them on a outside (potty break) time as well after eating and drinking, playing etc. I love crate training it provides Puppies with an indoor kennel crate and can satisfy many dogs' need for a den-like enclosure. Besides being an effective housebreaking tool (because it takes advantage of the dog's natural reluctance to soil its sleeping place), it can also help to reduce separation anxiety, to prevent destructive behavior (such as chewing furniture), to keep a puppy away from potentially dangerous household items (i.e., poisons, electrical wires, etc.), and to serve as a mobile indoor dog house which can be moved from room to room whenever necessary. I recommend crate training for your new Saint Bernard puppies and no i dont think they are too young to start crate training, like i said i started crate training at 8 weeks old.

*Good Luck and i hope this Helps, Congrats on your new Saint Bernard puppies i bet they are a joy to be around. :)

Proud Owner Of
*Black Labrador Mix - Mercedes
*American Akita - Porscha

"If dogs dont have souls, then look into a Akitas eyes"
•*´`*•.AMY,PORSCHA,& MERCEDES•*´`*•

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:59 am »
OK... I am a believer. Please share with me the best methods for crate training.  Since we have two puppies should we use the same crate or seperate.  They love to snuggle together, we often find them tucked under the farthest corner of the closet under the hanging clothes SACKED OUT!.... I welcome all suggestions on crate training.  I have several books but prefer real life experiences.
As Always
Thank you,
Renee'

Thanks much,
Renee & Mark

Offline SaintMommy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 03:24:56 pm »
Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum...I am moving it to the the Housebreaking Forum.  Thank you for all the advise and support thus far.  I love BPO.
Renee' and Mark

Hi! First off, I need to see more pictures of your ADORABLE puppies! Ok, so our Newfie is 4 months old and we had a really hard time in the beginning with crate training...and that's when I came here and everyone was SO GOOD in giving advice. I will tell you what helped me and I'm sure everyone else will jump in too. I'm not sure about two puppies but I think I've heard that they should have their own seperate crates. Definitely have a blanket over the crate so it makes it seem like a "den" and they feel safe in it. When we first started, everytime koda would go in the crate we would praise him and give him treats. We even fed him in his crate to associate it with a positive thing. That seemed to help alot.
I'm not sure what your work schedule is like but when you are home, maybe you can start putting them in the crate for 5 minutes at a time, then 10, then 15, and etc. We only let Koda out once he's stopped whining or crying. Definitely lots of treats and praise. it was really really tough for us in the beginning and I could've never thought he would be this good but he turned out great! When we're out, he's in the crate and we feel safe knowing he's safe.

I hope that helps, sorry so long. But I was just recently there and everyone here has helped me alot. OH, and they also recommend kong's stuffed with PB and kibble/treats and freeze it so once they are done they are pretty wiped out and ready for bed :)

P.S. Pictures soon  ;)please!
Thanks much,
Renee & Mark