Author Topic: Mix breeding on purpose what are your views?  (Read 15929 times)

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Mix breeding on purpose what are your views?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 04:16:52 pm »
I love my mutt, that I was given, by his 3rd home at 6 months old, I can not stand irresponsible breeding, mutt breeding is irresponsible, there is no need to create new breeds, IMO.  There are over 300 breeds world-wide, what is a new cross going to be that doesn already exist, cross breeding for more companion breeds is asinine, again JMO.  100 years ago when they were creating new breeds they could not ship a sheepdog from england to austrailia so they had to make a new one to suit their needs, now we can so there is no need to create a new one.  On top of that culling the pups that did not meet their criteria was common place should we start that again as well?

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2009, 09:10:15 am »
I see both sides.  Is the issue really mixing breeds or is it irresponsible breeding? Historically breeds have been mixed (responsibly) to create a better scent hound, water dog, watch dog, etc. This is how many of our "purebreeds" have evolved. I do not disagree with trying to "perfect" on what we have. Wouldn't it be nice to "breed out" some of the genetic and breed specific illnesses and defects? But I also do not believe this is a "cause" for the average breeder, it should be a "quest" for the professionals.

I do believe that creating a "designer" breed or a "fad dog" is definatley irresponsible and will undoubtedly result in homeless animals. I think breeding for the money, for fun or to "just try it" is ridiculous and irresponsible.

However, as long as we have "not so smart" people out there owning and breeding dogs or just irresponsible lazy people who just won't get them fixed, we will have our beloved "mixed breeds" like my Tinker Bear who I adore. My biggest complaint is about the harshness I have received from the "pure breed" community (BPO people excluded). When I found out Tink was a komondor mix, I desperately tried to seek information about health, grooming, etc from the komondor community and they were just awful, - like I was the one corrupting the breed. I adopted her from a shelter for heavens sake, all I wanted was info! Then I found you guys, I am so greatful, you all have been wonderful with advice. I have also tried to join different dog clubs in my area but they won't let me join because Tink is a "mix" - like it is contageous or something. I think anyone wanting to own a dog or breed a dog should have to get a license or take a class, have a thorough background check including ability to finance their fur baby (of course I think people should to have to get a license to have a child too, but that is a seperate issue). The botton line is you can't keep people from doing stupid things. God bless the fosters and adopting families of all shelter dogs and pound puppies, especially the mixed breeds!

Sorry, got a little "preachy".
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2009, 10:34:35 am »
I think I will start my OWN dog club/breed. Snobs need not apply. Only the cute, cuddly, furry and excessively drooly may apply!

Hee Hee
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)