Author Topic: Akitas and off-leash dog parks?  (Read 26369 times)

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Akitas and off-leash dog parks?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 04:02:12 pm »
One of my fears is that without the dogpark, he won't be able to get the socialization he needs, and honestly, he has become noticeably more dominant the past two weeks (puppy puberty is what I've been told by his obedience teacher). He is a doll with me and my family though, and of course we couldn't love him more if we tried.

Are there alternatives for dogs who are working on being good dogs, but haven't quite achieved the title ?

I agree with everything being said here. We don't have a dog park out this way (the boonies, dontchaknow!) however, we keep an eye on several dog clubs, and when they have public events, we'll contact one of the organizers and request permission to bring our pups out for socialization. Unless they're having a "work-day" the responces have been overwhelmingly positive. You might look for an Akita group in your area as well, they might hold events or training days that might help.

Best of luck!
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 05:24:55 pm »
[
Was he altered?

Yes.  He had been altered at about 6 months of age.  He just got TOO territorial!

Offline PrettySurvivor

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 11:53:21 am »
Hi There,

I have an Akita mix...& the Akita is thru & thru w/ his temper, & traits.  But I personally, wanted to tell you.  That Gizmo loves off-leash parks/areas &  he does well.  Socialize Socialize Socialize.   Now he's not always an angel & yes, we've had time outs, nothing huge.  And yes, other dog owners will get concerned once they see your dog's curled tail & how big she/he is, but that comes w/ the terrority of having an akita is the stereo-type reactions you will recieve from people.   If you train your pet correctly & have faith in her/him, I see no reason why you two can't have a great time @ the park.  Hope you have good time!

Sarah

Offline thorthugglesworth@

• Gnawer
  • Thor Thugglesworth
    • View Profile
    • Hustleware Clothing coming soon!
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 03:59:37 am »
I'm telling you, I had NO problems for months- socialized him well, the whole 9. Around 13 months, overnight, it seemed, he became ornery to other males. It WILL happen.

Off-Leash? Akitas just aren't that kind of dog. Besides, if I get into it with another owner due to his dog's behavior, and Thor sees me getting riled up, then he is going to instinctively go into security mode.

It's not going to be your fault when some other dog starts a fight, and your Akita decides to finish it. That's not going to stop them from villifying your already stigmatized Akita and banning you from the dogpark or worse.

:-(
Vagabond, baby. I kicks that raw, boy. Rappers get stole on like the Pistons' ball boy...... Barack in '08!

Offline Elizabeth

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 12:33:53 am »
Hi all! Thanks for all of your input. My baby boy just hit one year and 100 pounds.
We don't go to dog parks anymore, both he and I prefer environments with more control these days. We do have some dog friends that we get together with (one of them is a pit bull, people avoid us on playdates) and he is playful, happy and fine.

This board has been a godsend. I mostly just lurk and read these days, and I've learned alot about my large breed babies here.

Thanks again!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2006, 08:14:35 am »
just wanted to put in that my akita, axle, is 3 and we have NEVER had an attitude change, but we have never changed our routine either, we go the same places typically on the same day at the same time, so he knows what's going to happen, no surprises to throw him off.  he does awesome off leash, but i will say though that we avoid dog parks only because we used to have a "get-together" with neighborhood dogs, and some people didn't take their dogs health seriously, and everyone's dog's ended up with with hook worms AND whip worms at once, which did a real number on axle's weight very quickly, as well as everyone else's dogs health, too!  axle went through extreme training, and is still very good with it, but if we don't work with him for a while, he does start to get pushy sometimes.  you really just need to continue training, even after the classes are over.  axle weighs anywhere from 130-150#s and plays awesome with chihuahua's so long as they don't get too nippy, then he stands up and puts his nose in the air (he's not allowed to pay too much attention to dogs so he just looks over them).  it's all just the dog, every one has a different personality!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2006, 08:55:18 am »
I was reading abotu dog parks the other day, becuase I used to take Pepper constantly and was starting to think about when to take Bella. The information I read said a couple interesting things. One, it's bad for socialization purposes to take a dog before the age of 6 months because they tend to get picked on the most when they're the young one, which results in not-as-positive socialization expereieneces. The other thing that I thought was a good idea was to take your dog there on a leash at first. A decent length of course so they feel more free, but then when a behavior pops up that is unacceptable (like laying on top of another dog), you can recall and if they choose to ignore, you can "reel" them in while using the recall command to teach them that even at the dog park they must listen to you and your rules.  The only issue I can see with this is dogs that are aggressive when on a leash.  Otherwise, I thought that was a good idea for "Dog Park 101"...  Bella has yet to experience a dog park... the ones here are open space, so we can go for hikes, but she's not big enough to do that yet.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2006, 11:59:04 am »
my last dog a chow akita mix was a wonderfully trained dog. but he was never social, he just liked his family and our other dog and a small world to guard. we would go for walks, which he loved but he was always too much on guard to be social to strangers and other animals.  he never attacked anything or anyone, because we worked so hard on training but you could just see him change when someone wanted to pet or come up to us while out. with his family he was just a big suck. patti

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2006, 10:57:02 pm »
"Many people think that socializing is a "puppy period" thing...I believe it is always on-going and they continue to learn"

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

You are absolutly, %100 correct! i couldn't have put it better myself! training is nothing if you don't socialize, and too many people don't realize this!

you just made my day! 

Leah
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Parker

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2007, 11:32:35 am »
My Akita is just over one year old. I used to take him to the dog park as well. He unfortunately likes to let everyone know in a "friendly" way that he's the boss and it doesn’t always go over well. Akita's are very independent and stubborn. We are very good dog owners and trainers. We make our Akita work for everything and he loves it! Still... he cannot be trusted in a dog park. Sorry, I wouldn't risk it.

Offline caperica

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2007, 12:07:31 pm »
I agree that a dog is as good as its handler, but a responsible handler. I do not believe a responsible Akita owner would put their dog or other peoples dogs into that situation. It is dangerous and unpredictable.
The Shepherd owner (above) obviously has not had an Akita. You do not want "a lesson learned" at the expense of another dog or your. I say the other dog first because the out come for the other will probably be worse. Akitas are fast and powerful.
Not a good way to "teach" a dog anything.

Take a look at the discussion on Akita temperament. It will help you a lot I think.

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2007, 01:47:28 pm »
I have found it incredibly stressful to take our akita boy to a dog park.  When he was a pup we did it regularly (4-5 times a week) and things were always tentative.  He was naturally bigger and rougher than his same age counterparts.  It was more the people at the dog park that we dreaded.  They would react negatively as soon as they saw him ("ahhh...it's an aggressive akita")they would start scooping up their shiz tu's and heading toward the exit.  It was ridiculous. 
Now, he is 2/5 years and we will not take him because he has shown some aggression toward my neighbors bulldog.  I think it's just a bad mix (Bulldogs are known for not being tolerant of other dogs).  We are flirting with the idea of getting another dog who can really ruf and tumble with our akita since we think that him growing up as an 'only child' is going to be a disservice in the long run. 
It's a tough situation...on e I have been hoping to find a solution to as well!
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita