Author Topic: new Alaskan Malamute sled dog pics  (Read 9752 times)

Offline arcticjoe

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
new Alaskan Malamute sled dog pics
« on: August 15, 2005, 11:38:22 pm »
hi, everyone, been gone awhile, just wanted to say thanks for the welcome I got when I joined Big Paws. Posted another pic of some of my team April 2005. 

Icerotti

Re: new Alaskan Malamute sled dog pics
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 06:41:45 am »
Wow . That should be in a calander :o Beautiful

Offline Kristen

• Ankle Biter
  • Tyrone and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 12:38:11 pm »
Excellent shot! Beautiful dogs too  ;D.
Kristen & The Dog Gang
Sled dogs rule!

Sherwen- Alaskan husky
Tyrone- Alaskan husky
Kaltag "Kallie"- Canadian Inuit dog/Malamute
Jacques- Bichon frise

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:03:44 am »
wow! What a beautiful sight!!!
You whetted our appetites for more pics! 
I'd love to see more of your team :)
Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

Offline arcticjoe

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:18:07 pm »
Thanks, looks like you have some beautiful dogs yourselves, alot of my pics are to big to download, but here's a pic of us in the arctic refuge in late April 2005. 

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 03:45:03 pm »
OK. A lot of people in the rescue community (NOT me) think that dogsledding is cruel to the dogs. I've seen how the dogs look like they absolutely love it!

Can you please give us your side to dispel that myth? I'm sure that there are people out there with sled dogs who don't care for their dogs like they should, but I would assume most take exceptional care of their dogs because, in the frozen tundra, they are ultimately your lifeline, right?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Kristen

• Ankle Biter
  • Tyrone and me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 05:31:08 pm »
Sorry, I know that this is Arcticjoe's questrion, but I strongly feel that anyone who thinks mushing is cruel has no idea how much work, comitment, time, love, and trust goes into it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 05:39:10 pm by Kristen »
Kristen & The Dog Gang
Sled dogs rule!

Sherwen- Alaskan husky
Tyrone- Alaskan husky
Kaltag "Kallie"- Canadian Inuit dog/Malamute
Jacques- Bichon frise

Offline arcticjoe

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 05:51:21 pm »
You are absolutely right!!, they are our lifeline and we are theirs. Our reliance on them and their dependence on us is crucial for both of our survival. I live 60 air miles from the nearest person, road or trail. My last supply plane leaves Oct. 1st and I don't see another person until April. I do not recieve any supplys or mail for those 6 months. As you well know the arctic coast is the most brutal enviornment in north america. The Malamutes are believed to have originated here over 10,000 years ago. They are well adapted to the cold with their thick coats. Whereas I have to dress in caribou fur to stay alive. When the mals see their harnesses brought out each fall they get extremely excited. I have never seen a happier animal in my life as these guys when their harnesses are put on. I have been working with dogs all my life, my sled dogs have been in major motion pictures, t.v. shows, documentaries and commercials. I would love to invite anyone who suggests that there is any kind of cruelty to allowing an animal do what they have been born to do and has a history of doing it for thousands of years to come up and witness for themselves and see these most healthy and happy family members of mine, and experience the same joy that they do when running across the tundra.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 07:49:11 pm »
I must say I commend you guys that train mals, we have our first mal and she is more stubborn than we thought. Very beautiful and intelligent animals though. I only wish we lived farther north so we train her in the snow.