Author Topic: Dog food, with a twist  (Read 17479 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Dog food, with a twist
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 11:02:48 am »
Julie, just do it! What can Rob do, run away and scream like a little girl? At least you'd have comic relief.  :D

Keiko sounds just like my cat. She stalks them, licks her lips then looks at me and walks away. ::)

I totally hear ya on the littler box too! Just imagine having 2 boxes, one of which is for a rabbit who poops and pees in it faithfully (thank goodness) then digs in it. Litter and little rolly poops all over, and one dusty, stinky rabbit. Hence her name! Haha

So I just got word that not only is there a hairless litter due next month, but there are TEN rats looking for rescue from being snake food. (but they're all hooded  :D )So needless to say, my colony is SO growing in the near future.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 11:34:03 am »
Yea I have four cats and a litter trained rabbit so we have 6 litter boxes in the house. It gets to be a pain. And we always have to watch Roxi because she obsessed with eating the cat and rabbit poop.  :P
Hades: 2 year old, Saint Bernard/Great Dane/English Mastiff mix
Jypsi: 8 week old Cocker Spaniel/Australian Cattle Dog mix
Kane aka Poe, Kira, Karma, Kalypso, and Krystal my kitty kids
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 12:39:28 pm »
Ok well I managed to update the myspace site for the rattery. I breed mainly pets but I also offer feeder rats on occasion, like if there are birth defects, or temperment issues from early on. Some rats just aren't very nice sometimes, I'm not sure why yet. But here's the link. The only thing I didn't fully update was the past litters pictures because they are scattered all over.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=382092553
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 02:00:22 pm »
Great site! That chinchilla male is just gorgeous! Out of curiosity, what pairing did he come out of? I'm trying to learn genetics and such.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 02:42:35 pm »
Oh, and Rosalba. I think it is officially time for you to get some new ratties!!! Little furry (or in my case not so furry) squishy curious little babies! How can you resist? The perfect apartment pet.

They ARE the perfect apartment pet! -that is why I kept rats (other than they are awesome), but I couldn't have a dog in the dorms -so I had rats, which should be close enough for dog people! seriously! rats can be trained, they learn their names, bond with their human, and even act protective! (I swear, my first rat used to chase my sister-in-law's cat off the bed to keep him away from me! it was hilarious to watch!) -like a teeny, tiny dog that doesn't bark and grooms itself! oh my! ^__^ and who can resist their tiny hands and nose twiches! Also, I always kept girls, and used to have a blast making them vibrate when they were in heat!! LOL -I don't know why I always found it so funny....

SO, I found this breeder here in Denver that seems pretty good. Their rattery is taking a month-long break right now, so I'm not rushing to contact her just yet -I'm taking my time deciding what I want... I might try for a boy for the first time ever!... AND she has DWARFS!! I've never even seen one in person! but I think I want one!!! apparently they are practically immune to cancer because of their growth hormone deficiency... so yay! I'm totally going to be a rat mom again!!! probably in a couple of months when it gets warmer :D
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2009, 02:59:42 pm »
CongRATS! Haha, I'm funny.  8) You'll love having them again, I'm sure. Post pictures of course when the baby comes home! You should message me the name of the breeder/website!

If I may be so bold... Would you consider getting two? Rats are VERY social, and although they love humans, they really do so much better with a rat friend or two. Plus, I always use it as an excuse when I can't decide between colors!  :D
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2009, 03:35:52 pm »
CongRATS! Haha, I'm funny.  8) You'll love having them again, I'm sure. Post pictures of course when the baby comes home! You should message me the name of the breeder/website!

If I may be so bold... Would you consider getting two? Rats are VERY social, and although they love humans, they really do so much better with a rat friend or two. Plus, I always use it as an excuse when I can't decide between colors!  :D

I know, I know... but I really think I want to start with one -but I know they are very social animals ad get lonely and cold, so I would keep it with me at all times until I got more rats -I'll at least get two, but again, I like starting with one (I haven't started from zero since my very first rat, and after that I would always have 3). But of course, the breeder might only adopt out in pairs to new colonies... so I might end up with two -and then again, I might not be able to decide between two, and the end result would be the same in either case... and then I'd have two rats on me at all times for like 2 weeks at the beginning, just because I can :)
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2009, 03:36:48 pm »
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2009, 04:54:08 pm »
Wow, I have never heard of dwarf rats.  I'm glad he put a size comparison on there b/c I was wondering exactly how dwarf they were as I was scrolling.

some of them resemble gerbils a bit.

very cute.  now you're making me want to get more!..........lol.  But I dont' think my 2 adult males would probably do well being introduced to anything new, especially since it's just been the 2 of them since they were about 3-4 mo old.

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2009, 05:01:27 pm »
Great site! That chinchilla male is just gorgeous! Out of curiosity, what pairing did he come out of? I'm trying to learn genetics and such.

Yea he is. My sister took him and named him Socrates (she has another named Ben). He's huge and is almost 5 years old and is starting to lose his hair from old age. He was in a litter between my male agouti hooded I have on the website and a past mink dumbo self female. I also managed to breed a hairless female who did not have dumbo ears. It's actually pretty rare. She looked like a chinese crested she just had hair on her face, the base of her tail, and right by her feet. Another breeder bought her from me for $250 dollars! :o

A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 05:45:45 am »
Brittney- Haha my girl has standard ears. But she came from a breeder..Ish. My other HL is a Rainbow Exotics (aka Petsmart) girl, and she's a hooded dumbo.

Rosalba- Good thinking. Sometimes it's hard to get into the swing of things after it's been so long. Plus, you always get more bonded with that first one. At least, I do.

Zoo Crew- Hey, if your boys don't get along with newbies, that's just an excuse to get another cage, and start with your hairless and blue girls!!!  ;)
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007