Author Topic: 1800PetMeds?  (Read 6465 times)

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
1800PetMeds?
« on: January 22, 2009, 02:08:00 pm »
Ok so I'm wondering if anyone has tried using 1800PetMeds. I'm just wondering because I'm getting a little upset with my vet. I've had Hades in now 4 times and each time they have tested a fecal sample and said he had worms and "dewormed" him. I brought him in again because my vet requires me to make an appointment each month to get Hades his Heartworm preventer (which is also frusterating) and needless to say all these visits are getting pricey and frusterating. I'm wondering if I can just worm Hades at home and give him his heartworm at home too. The vet visit is 35 dollars just for the visit and then it's basically,

"How's he doing?"
"He's doing good."
"He's getting really big."
"Yep he is."
"Ok well I'll get his heartworm and give him his wormer and then you're good to go."

His visit run up to about 125 each time and I've never had to go in each month for heartworm or had a dog get wormed this much.

Can I just buy the stuff of the site? It's like half the price of the same exact stuff the vet keeps giving him.
Hades: 2 year old, Saint Bernard/Great Dane/English Mastiff mix
Jypsi: 8 week old Cocker Spaniel/Australian Cattle Dog mix
Kane aka Poe, Kira, Karma, Kalypso, and Krystal my kitty kids
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: 1800PetMeds?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 02:19:27 pm »
I know that sometimes dogs will have to go thru multiple dewormings, but there is no reason he would need to go to the vet for his heartworm meds.  that is just plain weird.

Yes, I have ordered from petmeds numerous times.  I first started when Keiko had to be on PPA for a couple of years but luckily we've been able to take her off of that (for now).

I've also gotten frontline and heartworm meds from them as well, and will probably do so again this year.  the only problem I had with them was for the  heartworm.  For each dog, they had to put a request in to the vet for the prescription.. .........which the vet then had to call me to verify my order with petmeds.  After several phone calls i finally told the vet that i ordered it for all my dogs so they didn't need to keep calling me.  The did again the next day anyway........ ..lol.  2 of the orders were messed up for some reason and were never sent but we got it straightened out pretty easily by calling their customer service.  Part of the problem is that Gunther requires 2 different doses b/c of his size so I guess that raised red flags for them or something so I had to explain why he needed 2 (one for up to 100lbs and another for 26-50 lbs).

but overall, I think it is a good company and their rates are reasonable.  Plus order enough and you have free shipping, which is always good in my book.  :D

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 02:25:26 pm »
pet meds requires a visit to the vet for a diagnosis and perscription.  i tried that with my heartworm pills once.  it cost about the same and the vet was hesitant to give a perscription for more than 3 months worth.  it was a hassle.  the only difference was that i got the pills in the mail.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 04:07:12 pm »
I take Gunner monthly to the vet also for his heartworm meds,  but my vet doesnt charge a office visit fee.
We just weigh him and get the pills we need and say see ya next month.
With Gunner gaining weight so rapidly each month,  it was the route we chose to take to make sure he was getting the correct dosage.    Once his weight gain levels off I will get the year supply.
Also, our vet WILL NOT write a prescription for meds.  They have thier own online drug store as well as a stocked pharmacy in house,  so we get the joy of paying out the yang for meds.   YAY ME!!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline BritnyLe

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 06:34:23 pm »
I take Gunner monthly to the vet also for his heartworm meds,  but my vet doesnt charge a office visit fee.
We just weigh him and get the pills we need and say see ya next month.
With Gunner gaining weight so rapidly each month,  it was the route we chose to take to make sure he was getting the correct dosage.    Once his weight gain levels off I will get the year supply.
Also, our vet WILL NOT write a prescription for meds.  They have thier own online drug store as well as a stocked pharmacy in house,  so we get the joy of paying out the yang for meds.   YAY ME!!!

My vet charges my 35 dollars just for the visit and then they charge me 12 dollars for the heartworm meds.
Hades: 2 year old, Saint Bernard/Great Dane/English Mastiff mix
Jypsi: 8 week old Cocker Spaniel/Australian Cattle Dog mix
Kane aka Poe, Kira, Karma, Kalypso, and Krystal my kitty kids
A ball python
Otis the rabbit

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:58:24 am »
Tink was growing fast too as a pup. My vet would give me a one or two pills at a time but never charged me for a  visit. I just came in, weighed her and they gave me the correct pill. Of course, this leveled off as she got bigger. She now is around 120lb so I have to actually give her two pills one for dogs up to 100lbs and another for dogs up to 25lbs. but I buy a 6 months supply. My vet also does not make it "mandatory" to test for heartworm when your script runs out as long as there has not been a gap in treatment. If you miss a month or choose not to treat during the winter months he makes you take the test before giving another script.

I think you need to find another vet.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 02:42:35 am »
I think it's really odd that you have to pay for vet visits to pick up pills. I would go and find another vet as it will save you a fortune!

With us, we do annual Heartworm test in April and I get 6 pills which last until November (I don't give hearworm meds in the winter). I couldn't even imagine going there every month  :o
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 02:58:08 am »
I also get my heartworm etc from my vet but I get 6 months at a time and give them at home. To charge for a visit is a bit much.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Tonda

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 06:43:35 am »
First, find a new vet.

Having to pay for a monthly apt just to get your heartworm meds is OUTRAGEOUS! I take my bubs in to weigh them each month to make sure we get the right heartworm pill, but I’m not charged for a visit!

The problem with getting your heartworm meds online is that you still have to get a prescription, and your vet sounds like he’s unlikely to go along with this. My vet lets me buy one month at a time or will exchange a dose if they outgrow it. That’s the kind of service I want.

Again: FIND A NEW VET!

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 09:17:02 am »
Yes and I find it easy and get a year's worth for all of them..

I used the local clinic which charges a minimal fee for the test once a year..and as long as they are fine..my vet will fill the script..as long as I keep an anual ck up with eash one of my guys..

My vet doesn't mind that I test else where because  he knows tests to cost depending on where you get them done..

He is more concerned with the health of the animals he sees and wants everyone to take care of them..