Author Topic: The Husband Rant  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Vapidfire

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
The Husband Rant
« on: February 06, 2009, 06:46:38 am »
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem with their Hubby's or if it's just me?

Around here we (meaning me and the dogs) work on the NILIF policy (Nothing in Life is Free.) mainly because my youngest Fila Kaylee is a very strong willed alpha dog and if I give an inch she takes a mile.

I can sit down with the hubby and explain why I do the things I do. I can tell him that he ought to do them to. He will sit and agree with me and tell me he understands.

Yet he never does them (sit before eating, sit before going in/out, not letting the dog through a doorway before him, ect) and when he witnesses me doing them he'll tell me I'm being mean to my dog.

Yet he then complains about the fact that Kaylee won't listen to him.

There ought to be training classes you can send your hubby too.  "Dog Savviness 101" "Scooping dog poop - and you"  "Sweeping up dog hair - the basics" and I'm sure there is more out there.

Anyone else ever get the feeling that the only people in the house that actually pay attention to you are the dogs?
Cat
Serenity: Fila Brasileiro Female
Kaylee: Fila Brasileiro Female
Lincoln: Newfoundland Male
Keegan: Fila Brasileiro Male
Cathen: Fila Brasileiro Male
Bug & Ger: Devon Rex Cats
Remus: Roommates Mutt
Rescues of all sorts

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: The Husband Rant
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 06:56:50 am »
Yup, there's always at least one person in the family that doesn't follow the rules.

When I was stuck in Mn for 1.5 yrs before coming out here, no one followed my rules.  that was extremely frustrating.  Nigel and posey were still in training b/c they were still young but it took so long to teach them anything b/c no one else would follow thru.  >:(

and here, yeah, hubby is the same way.  Gunther has picked up the habit of smelling your plate when you sit down to eat (we eat on the sofa).  I'm not worried about him taking food b/c he won't do that but it is very rude behavior and I don't allow it.  I have told hubby that I don't know how many times but he still won't yell at him when he's sniffing his plate.  Then he gets mad when my MIL is over and gunther sniffs her plate.  Helloooo!!  >:(

jesday

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:43:24 am »
Same problem - opposite reaction from hubs. He doesn't want to be bothered with training but gets upset when they don't listen to him. He thinks I should be using a firmer hand.

Syrus non-car for instance. Wants me to force him in, get a choke collar, anything to make him do as I say. Yeah, lets take a terrified dog and make the experience even more unpleasant to really give him a reason to want to get in.

He gets the teeniest of slack because his dad raised German short hairs (I think) and was old school in showing who was boss.

The trouble is he expects me to use a firm hand yet he is the biggest softy of all. Our Chihuahua is impossible to get a pill in him. Hubs was laughing at me because I couldn't handle a 7 lb dog. I said, "here, you do it" He struggled and struggled and finally gave up because he couldn't bare the fact that Chili was mad at him.

Tis a quandary.  ;)

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 01:24:22 pm »
I'm pretty lucky.  Since we've been doing obedience class together, the Doggy Daddy has been just as tough as I am!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:03:39 am »
I know your pain!  Our problem child, Bo, started presenting with food aggression.  I immediately began working with him slowly (small amounts of food at a time, hand feeding, etc) and was making very slow progress.  I couldn't figure out why.  I had gone over the whole procedure with my husband several times, he nodded and agreed.

The one day an entire bowl of dog food accidentally spilled at my feet.  Bo ate it around my feet as I stood there and he didn't bat an eye.  My husband approached and Bo suddenly went ape-shit.  Then I realized the problem.  That jerk hadn't been taking the five extra minutes a day at morning feeding time.  Then I was gone on a trip for two weeks, returned and it was even worse. 

And THEN (how about father rants while we are at it?) Christmas came and my dad convinced him that Bo just needed, "The s**t kicked out of him a time or two to show him who is boss."  I'm ashamed to say, my husband actually let this happen (unbeknownst to me).  "Well your way wasn't getting results!" he said.

Poor Bo peed out of fear and cowered for the next week when we fed him.  My husband quickly conceded.  For his credit, I think he has some fear of his "manly man" father-in-law (who I'm the first to admit is a red-neck hick) and didn't want to appear weak while my dad bashed my "soft" ways.

Husband made repair, is actively with the program and we have almost no food aggression left.
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 09:14:51 am »
I really hope your husband doesn't agree with your father that it is okay to beat a dog :-\ They are part of the family and whatever bad behavior that they have reflects upon the owner. We have to be responsible for their training, actions, safety, health...I'm no dog expert but I'm pretty sure that hurting a dog will make it more fearful of humans and human contact and may eventually lead to un-necessary and unwanted aggression :-\

If it was my husband I would beat the sh*t out of him for letting that happen and never let my dad around my dog ever again

I agree completely, and fortunately my husband does now as well.  You can not even begin to imagine my frustration/ anger when I found out about this.  My mother (who is not a red-neck hick) will be supervising all future interactions and I think I actually managed to educate my dad and get something through his thick head for once. 
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP