Author Topic: Addison's Disease  (Read 9375 times)

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
Addison's Disease
« on: February 06, 2009, 01:26:31 pm »
It's been so long since I've posted here, but read it everyday.
My 6yr old Basset, Tilly, was diagnosed with Addison's, November 21, 2008. Just wondering if there is anyone here that has\had a dog with this, and how did you cope with it? We are still on a rollercoaster with balancing her levels. I'm not giving up, but sometimes I get so tired of the challange. Any advice will be greatly appreciated  :)
Short dogs Big paws

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Addison's Disease
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 03:56:08 pm »
I have no experiance with Addisons Disease, nor do I know too much about it.  I just wanted to say that I'm sorry, and good luck.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:17:05 pm »
Are you a member of this yahoo group?

www.k9addisons .com/subscribe.html

A while back my vet and I thought that Lily might have this disease and members of this group were very helpful  :)

From what I hear ones you get a hang on controlling levels it's not the end of the world but I can imagine that it is pretty stressful  :( 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 01:37:42 pm »
I just joined a Yahoo group and have been reading up on some of the topics. You are right, it's all about controlling the levels. I need to get her level numbers, and the exact amount of docp that she is receiving monthly. I have cut back on her Prednisone per a discusion with her vet. The thing that is the hardest right now is controlling her bladder. I get really bummed out having to clean up pee all the time. Backing off the Pred. has helped. The monthly blood test and docp shot runs me about $120, that is hard too, but I will do what I have to do. She is such a sweetie. BTW, she is the red\white one sitting on the right. The good news is that by chance yesterday I was talking to a person at work, and his dog has Addisons too (not that it's good, but I can share details with him). His vet sells him a vial of docp and he does his own shots, and it last about 3 months for aprox $128. He said it took about a year to get his dogs levels figured out. He told me that he was feeling the same way I am at about the same time. I know I will make it through the tough times with the support from him, and the people here. I have seen the caring and magic that happens on BPO. thank you all :)
There is nothing I wouldn't do for my 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 2 horses... oh, and my humans too ;)
Short dogs Big paws

Offline ballapup

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 02:04:24 pm »
Oh sweetie, I'm sorry for you and your girl and know how worried you must be.  I don't know how much help my experience will be as I live in Scotland but I'll still try and help.  There is hope.  My Border Collie, Parks, was diagnosed at the age of 6 with Addisons,following a very worrying couple of weeks and lots of tests.  Parks was given tablets called Florinef (also given to humans with the same condition).  I'll find out what they are exactly, chemical-wise as Florinef could just be a brand name and then let you know.  Parks was started on one tablet and had blood tests every 3 months to check his levels.  Over the next 7 years the dose was increased depending on his levels.  Sadly it's a progressive condition and eventually Parks was on 5 Florinef tablets and 1 Prednicare a day.  Parks passed away a few months ago at over 13 - a good age for a working collie and led a full, happy and healthy life. My friend's police dog also had Addisons and also did very well for years.  Neither of our dogs had bladder problems.  I'll speak to my vet for more info if that helps.  Will be thinking of you.  Kaz (Scotland) XX   

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:42:41 pm »
Tilly was just 3 months past her 6th birthday too. I'll have to look into the Florinef. I think she was actually on those for the first 2 weeks. I know I sound bad, but it was a very emotional time, and then around the holidays. I have my second wind now :) It's actually the Prednisone that causes the excessive drinking and the weak bladder. She was on 5mg, we cut her back to 2.5mg, and now I'm doing half of that. My friend has switched his dog from Prednisone to another drug and I will look into that.
I will welcome any info you can provide. My vet was honest and said they only have 1 or 2 cases a year and that many vets don't fully understand it. Most people talk with others and go back to the vet with their findings. I am fortunate that she is willing to work with me. As much as I like my vet, and Tilly loves to go, it would nice to be able to avoid the monthly visits.
thanks for the thoughts
Deb ( Maine)
Short dogs Big paws

Offline ballapup

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 11:20:01 am »
Hi Rickie.

Just to let you know that I haven't forgotten you. I've got an appointment at the vets tomorrow with Bruno, my Pointer, so will be speaking to the vet then to see what other info they have.  I'll put a post on tomorrow (it's currently 10.50pm over here).  We've been snowed in this week which is actually really cool and the dogs love it but it did mean missing a vets appointment on Wednesday.  Until then, take care and cuddles for your doggies.  Kaz x

Offline ballapup

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 10:41:00 am »
Hi Rickie

Just to let you know I've sent you a Personal Message with info.  Hope you get it!  Kaz X

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 12:23:21 pm »
Thanks everyone! I truly appreciate the thoughts. One day at a time right? :) We have our monthly appointment next week, so I'll update everyone and get some numbers to share. You are the best.
Short dogs Big paws

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 12:08:18 pm »
Tomorrow is Tilly's monthly appt. We actually extended the length between shots to 35 days, instead of the 30. Let's hope everything looks good. I am bringing my list of questions, and some ideas that other people have tried. paws crossed.

I have another question though. ballapup mentioned that she sent me a personal message, but I'm not seeing it here. Am I missing something. I chat on a horse forum, and when people PM you it's so obvious. Please tell me I'm not losing my mind ;)
Short dogs Big paws

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 01:12:28 pm »
Oh phew, that's where I thought it was. It says no message. At least I know I'm not losing what is left of my mind.
Tilly made out great at the vets today. We decided to keep doing the same amounts of docp and the prednisone for a few more months to keep her stable. We can then check her levels and see if the docp can be decreased. I'm happy with that. She really had a great week. She was back to being her bouncy self, chasing the cat, and playing with Molly. Thanks again.
Short dogs Big paws