Author Topic: Leaving the family behind.. Ever done it?  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Leaving the family behind.. Ever done it?
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:17:21 am »
So, some of you know how worried I was about leaving the "kids" for a week or so. Well, my Grandmother asked me to stay here and live with her for a couple months. So the dogs (along with all the other animals) will be cared for by my parents. I'm scared crapless!

I know their basic needs will be met (food, water, shelter) I'm just worried they won't get the physical and mental stimulation they need to thrive. Especially Sky! I've told my Flyball coach she's more than welcome to keep working with him, or just letting him run around with the other dogs but I don't think she'll have time with her 5 month old BC keeping her on her toes. My step-dad may take them for the occasional fair-weather walk, which Sam is content with but I need some ideas on easy ways to keep Sky busy and thinking during the day.

Gosh, I am totally in worried mom mode right now. But I know that people, especially family, have to take priority over dogs. But I feel guilty because these are animals that I have taken responability for, and I feel like I am abandoning them.

:(
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

lorim2

Re: Leaving the family behind.. Ever done it?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 04:30:40 am »
Is there any way at least Sky could come with you?  Dogs are such good therapy especially for someone grieving.  Just a thought. 

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 05:31:09 am »
Would you have anybody you could pay to come and walk Sky 4 or 5 times a week. I'm sure he'll behave much better too if he is getting enough exercise.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 05:02:37 pm »
Oh gosh I love that picture! You better get that boy into a sport! That look says "give me the ball... need the ball.. THROW the ball!"

Hmmm the flight's only a couple hundred bucks... And he comes with free barks, mud and kisses! I think the last thing my parents want is another dog running around, especially one Brannigan's size!
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

lookingfornewf

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 05:29:19 pm »
I have seen that look of Bratti's before, maybe he's part Jack Russell. Annie must chase any ball and almost always catches them before they land even the XXL kong. Clifford on the other hand I figure this is what he's thinking (always said in the voice of Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh) "There goes a ball, maybe I'll go over here and get it, guess I should pick it, wonder if I should take it back" It's hilarious how long he takes to play fetch. He will run after Annie just to bug the crap out of her.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 05:30:14 pm by Clifford the big dog »