Author Topic: I can't take the whining!!  (Read 4419 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I can't take the whining!!
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:52:23 am »
Good morning everyone!!

I have written about Harley's whining before but it is getting worse - I didn't think it was possible!!  He whines when I'm not home (my son and husband want to kill him!) he won't play, they can't distract him he just sits by the window or door and whines.

Well now he whines all the time non-stop for no reason, he is fed, has fresh water, just came in from being outside, etc.  he whines morning, noon and night.  I LOVE Harley but I lost it this morning - I was trying to get ready for work, feeling stressed (computer issues), and he just would not be quiet.  I have tried ignoring him - he does not stop!!  I have tried distracting him but honestly, I can't be distracting him every minute.  I feel badly but when I left I was so Pis$*ed that I wanted to rip his vocal cords out!!  I have tried squirting him with a water bottle but then again I have to be in the room with him.  He also starts back whining about 20 seconds later.  I have never heard anything like this - I am to the point where I don't even want another dog because I'm afraid Harley will teach him/her to whine also!!  The place I board him calls him Honda (not Harley) because a Harley doesn't whine!!

I am sitting at work still trying to get my blood pressure down!!   By the way there is no medical reason for the whining we were at the vet about 2 weeks ago.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Randy

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: I can't take the whining!!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 06:40:04 am »
It sounds like stress to me and if you are getting irritated he is probably feeding off of it. Tink does it a lot when she gets bored and wants attention. Maybe you just need to find his vice.

I make Tink a mixutre of hard cookies and peanut butter, freeze it and then give it to her. This keeps her occupied for a pretty long while. It is like a puzzle. "How do I get this sucker out of here?" but it is fun for her too. The ignoring thing never worked for me and you hate to give in and give them attention or they will continue the behavior. Find something to occupy her mind, a puzzle, a game. We recently taught Tink "find it" and we will hide her favorite toy and make her find it in the house. We are slowly getting more complicated with it's location and this can occupy her for a while too. Once she has it she doesn't want to let it go. It is now the most precious thing on earth and she is very interested in it again. I don't know if any of this will work for you, finding what will is the trick. Find a way to wear her out where she is too tired mentally and physically to fret. Good Luck.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline FXgirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 08:34:59 am »
I ordered some DAP from my vet and am going to try that out with my guys when it comes this week.  If you want to find out more just goggle dog appeasing pheromones.

Also, anything that can keep him occupied chewing should help calm him down.

Is he getting plenty of exercise from/with you?

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 10:34:27 am »
Thanks everyone for your advise.

Harley is 7 years old and I can't say we are the best on exercising him - but that is nothing new.  He honestly starts whining the second I put my foot on the floor (he sleeps downstairs We sleep upstairs).  I come down let him out, give him breakfast, he eats, goes back out and does his thing, comes hangs on the couch with me while I watch the news and weather.  Today he was sitting with his head in my lap whining!!!  What could be wrong??

I do know that he is sensitive he was tentative when I came home - I think he was wondering if I was still mad at him.

Darling son took him for a walk (part of the punishment for the car accident) and now he is outside whining to come in. 

Honestly, I felt SO bad for being angry but it was just to much and put me over the edge, aren't dogs supposed to be able to read our moods and LOWER our blood pressure - I think Harley forgot to read the memo!!

Thanks again, any and all suggestions will be mulled over!!

Randy