Author Topic: marigolds and pests  (Read 4618 times)

Viking Lady

marigolds and pests
« on: February 12, 2009, 07:11:25 pm »
We used to plant marigolds around our garden space because they were supposed to keep some kind of pests out of it. I am thinking that they won't keep my 110+ pound white pest out, so I was wondering what any gardeners on here are doing, short of a 6' chain link fence. Or did everyone give up on a vegetable garden?

Offline goldensaint723

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: marigolds and pests
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:51:55 pm »
I gave up on grass I kept replanting last summer and we tilled the yard to put flowers out front, but the dogs ripped everything out. So next year the dogs are being moved out back alot more room out there.like over an acre I just thought it was convient since the front door is closer then the back.lol.
Owned by 3 saints and a Jack Russell Terror
Cujo saint bernard
Macey saint bernard
Kodiak saint bernard
Angel Jack Russell
 River waiting at the bridge

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:30:48 am »
Good question - I need some fencing ideas too.  Our beautiful flowerbed from last year is now a certified disaster zone!  Tried the border fencing and the dogs just laughed at it!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:33:06 am »
I have one whole end of our yard quarantined off for our veggie garden.  We used a 2 ft wire fence.  Gunther did used to jump it at first b/c he likes to stand in the dirt.  Only took a few times of yelling at him (after finding big footprints) before that stopped and he hasn't tried since.

However, our border gardens are not as lucky.  Everyone likes to wander thru them and I don't think a little border fence would work.  They're not too bad once something grows (except Nigel who likes to pee on things) but they like looking for birdseed in the one constantly.

Viking Lady

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 07:35:54 am »
Thanks....good ideas. I have a roll of, what I call hog wire for some reason, that I was considering using. It is rectangle shaped wire and it's four feet high. When you use a wire fencing do you need a board rail across the top so they don't smoosh it down? Well, now that I ask, I guess I would have to because now I am involving a gate. :-\