Author Topic: Home alone  (Read 4581 times)

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Home alone
« on: February 13, 2009, 09:37:09 am »
Hi guys! It's been a while!

Another training question: how did you progress from home alone in a crate to home alone without a crate? What were your first crate-less home alone experiences? How old before they get free reign of the house? Strategies?

Thanks a bunch,

Mel
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.

Viking Lady

Re: Home alone
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 10:15:10 am »
Hi

I was wondering where you were. Hope things are ok.

I can't help with your question yet because so far I have to leave Luke outside when I am not here. He still gets into everything. He has a big "house" outside.

But I was at my daughter's house last week and she was fixing lunch and suddenly she whipped out a MANDOLIN, saying "I love this thing." Aaaah!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 10:29:15 am »
I started out with very small outings and left them out of the crate. Whenever something didn't go right they were back in the crate. So it was something that didn't happen all at once. Clifford still should probably be in his crate. He still gets into some stuff. Tonight for the first time I am leaving them both out of their crates home alone. We are gone overnight. Someone is coming tomarrow to feed them breakfast and dinner and we will be back tomarrow night. I have done this with Annie for years, first time for Clifford. I'm sure we will find slippers and other things out his doggie door in the yard. I do close the bathroom door and the office doors.

Offline GoofyNewfie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:13:09 pm »
But I was at my daughter's house last week and she was fixing lunch and suddenly she whipped out a MANDOLIN, saying "I love this thing." Aaaah!

Heheh, funny, I haven't used it in a while... :P

As for how I've been, I've been scrambling lately! We are moving back to the city, Tom is changing careers, I'm going back to freelancing... So Diesel is going to become a city dog, I guess we will see how that goes.

As for no crate, I don't trust him! Just cause he's a bugger and he knows it! He does fine at Grandma's place without as crate overnight though so maybe I should cut him some slack. 

Thanks for the advice guys!
Diesel, 6 month old Newf.