Author Topic: There's a Bear on my street!! (Long sorry) **Now with pictures!!**  (Read 35202 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
He is for what I can tell mostly Great Pyrenees, but his looks are slightly off.  His ears are set a little high on his head, his snout is slightly more narrowed, and he also only has single dewclaws on his hind legs.  I've taken some pictures of him but forgot my camera at Mikes apt, I'll bring it home and load it tomorrow hopefully.  He's small too, much smaller then Naja, but with all the fur you can hardly tell.  His current owner rescued him from some Menonites that were going to shoot him because he was a terrible guard dog (too friendly and sociable with people).  Bear came to my house last night to visit (he's an outside dog with no fencing or boundries), and when my mother and I took him home, his owner asked us if we might be interested in keeping him?  Terry (his current owner) says he's not around enough to give Bear the attention and care that he needs, and he doesn't want anything bad to happen to him.  We told him we'd think about it. 

I REALLY want to give Bear a home here.  When he was here, he and Naja got along farely well, other then the fact that he's not neutered and kept trying to mount her.  Moo on the other hand literally FREAKED, we kept him inside, and it souned like someone was torturing him his screaming was so loud you could hear him inside the house behind closed doors from about 100' away. 
Now Bear has always been an outside dog, so I don't think he'd like living inside, and being crated, etc.  He'd also have to be neutered and be given a thorough check out by my vet, and would absolutely HAVE to have a good grooming.  Then there's the cost of adding a third do to our household, I'm unemployed right now, and don't have that much to begin with. 

He's very well mannered, quiet, sweet, playful, beautiful (besides all the dirt), and he just seems to love it here, last night was the 3rd or 4th time he's snuck over here to hang out with us.

What do you guys think?? (and I promise to post pics tomorrow)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 07:36:22 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Bear on my street!! (Long sorry)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 07:35:46 am »
Bear reminds of a sad little boy..leaning against the school yard fence..wishing the other kids would let him play baseball with them.

lol.  It's funny you should mention that Patty, the entire time he was with us he would sit down and just lean against either mine or my mothers legs and lay his head so that his ear was at perfect scratching height.  :)  He is such a sweet boy.

Would Terry pay for the neutering and grooming? Is Moo a dominant dog normally?

No, Terry would not put forth any monies to have Bear neutered, or groomed.  He did tell us that he got Bear all of his shots, but I don't think he ever had any intention of doing away with Bears "boys".  I really don't think he has any real interest in how well Bear is groomed either, but then again it's a mentality thing in my area.  Most people think my dogs are spoiled rotten because they live indoors.  ::)  Also Yeah, Moo is a bit of a domineering pr*ck. lol He really has to make it known that he is top boy in this house, do you think it could be about Bear not being fixed?

You'd be surprised how well outside dogs adapt to the indoors.

Jeanne:  As is stands at the moment, if we do end up taking Bear in, he would be an outside dog.  At least until my step father caves to the immense pressure of his wife and her adult daughter nagging him to let us bring Bear in lol!  I definately have the time to spend with him, and I know that I would be able to give him a much better home then what he's in now.  His current owner although seems really nice, has a history of bad drug abuse and violent outbursts.  I'm just not comfortable leaving Bear in a situation where he could quite possibly get very hurt.

Besides, how often does this kind of opportunity come available?  I waited literally years to get my first Pyrenees, and now I have the chance to rescue another?

Anyways here are the pictures of him.  Isn't he beautiful?

Face shot

On the front porch

Wanna drink of water??

Or maybe a bone?

What a pretty boy!

He just wants some love!

You're not seriously taking me HOME are you?? :'(

Common Lookit this face.  You can't honestly want to take me home... :'( :-*

I think he might have some Samoyed in him.  What do you think?

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Bear on my street!! (Long sorry) **Now with pictures!!**
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:53:10 am »
Alex,
How can you pass up that BEAUTIFUL boy? Is he (Bear) pretty submissive? Maybe he'll just take to being in Moo's pack?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 01:33:43 pm »
I would rescue him, he is a beauty. If he is submissive it should work out.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 09:59:49 pm »
He looks all beautiful Pyr boy to me.  2 of our Pyrs have come from breeders sold as show potential and 2 have been from unknown BYB breeders, farmers or petshop origins and there is a bit of difference in the overall appearance of our rescued pups vs. our breeder-born pups, though not an iota of difference in our love for them and they are all wonderful, sweet, beautiful pups.   :-*  :-*  :-*  I've just seen quite a bit of variety though in the non-confirmation Pyrs, so Bear looks all gorgeous Pyr to me (and a lot like my beloved Sammy  :-*), probably just not from a confirmation background, if that makes sense?  For my 2 cents, I'd adopt him in a nanosecond if you can work things out with Moo, especially since his current owner is known to have a history of violent outbursts & drug issues.   :-\  :(  That is really worrisome and it sounds like Bear really wants to move, which would give me pause.  It sounds like he's really asking for a new home and he's picked you, smart pup!   ;)  :)  :-*   As for those awful people that were going to shoot Bear b/c he was too friendly & sociable, grrrrrrr...  :-X  >:(   :o  >:(  I never cease to be amazed at just how low some "humans" will go.....  Poor Bear, he really makes me think of my Sammy in his pretty face, sweetness & background.  I'd love to see you rescue him, if you can.

Regarding introducing he & Moo, we've had great luck introducing our new pups in a neutral setting, vs. at home.  We'd found in the past that Daisy can be leash aggressive with other dogs, and of course we wanted to avoid that.  So when we adopted Cassie we introduced she & Daisy in the fenced yard of one of our rental properties that was vacant at the time.  Daisy & Sammy were introduced at Pyr Rescue (also in a fenced yard).  In both cases it worked out very well.  Daisy & Sam were introduced w/o leashes (he's extremely mellow and loves all other dogs) and we had lots of trained help around if it was needed, but they got along great from the start.  We intro-ed Daiz & Cass w/Cassie on a leash (Cassie was a bouncy big puppy at the time), so that Daiz (older girl) could get away and chill out if she needed to.  This might work out well with Moo & Bear too, since Moo is smaller he might feel more comfortable with Bear on leash?  Anyway, with Daisy & Cassie, after awhile we let them play off-leash (closely supervised) and it went well and they are the best of buds to this day.  If you can use a neutral setting, it might work out better for Moo.  Also, it might help if you could get Bear's "boys" (that made me laugh, ha ha!) ummm well... removed prior to the intro?   But since I have just the one male pup (and he was neutered by rescue prior to adoption), I don't know if that would help right away or not.  It might take some time for Bear's testosterone levels to drop enough for it to help Moo accept him, but other BPO-ers will know a lot more about that than I do.  Just a thought.

Outside vs. inside...it looked like Sammy had never been inside a house before.  You wouldn't believe what it took for us to get him inside our house and then it took us forever it seemed to coax him to step off of the entry mat.  Poor baby was absolutely scared to death.  :'(  Still, it was amazing how fast he became another happy house pup and he's never looked back.  We refer to him as our furry speed bump b/c he loves to lay sideways in the hallway.   :D  ;)  ;D  I just bet that Bear will make a wonderful house dog, too.   :-*

Finally, I love the idea of fostering him to see how it works out.  That way you can be sure that he'll end up with a wonderful home (and I'm really hoping that it's with you  ;)  :)).  Please keep us posted, ok?
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 01:48:18 am »
OMGoodness what a sweetie!!  It is heartbreaking the life he has had, even the person that owns him now - just letting him wander all over - Of course, I think you should try to take him in and see how it works - but only you know if it is feasible (will your other dogs accept him and of course the financial end).  But if you could take him, clean him up, and find a great home that would be Awesome!!

Best of luck - he is a doll!!

Randy and Harley

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 02:46:48 am »
I would find it very difficult to pass up helping that beautiful boy. I bet you'll cave and let him come home with you very soon!!

Can't wait to hear how this story ends.  :)
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

jesday

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 03:51:08 am »
Congratulation s on your new boy! ;)

If I had any doubt left about whether to take him, that last shot would cinch the deal. He's saying, "Aw, come on. Ya know ya can't resist me." :D

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 04:48:23 am »
If it were up to me in the end, he'd already be here.  I'm a 26 year old adult child living back at home with my mother and step father.  We're waiting for his okay.  Thank you guys for all the wonderful positive feedback!  I love hearing all this especially since my boyfriend and sister have been nothing but negative.  Mike says it would be financially irresponsible to take Bear in, I say it would be morrally irresponsible NOT TO.  Sister says we don't need another dog, and I say but he needs a new home.  Basically I'm gonna do it regardless as long as my step father is okay with it, if not, I'm going to find some breed specific rescues in the area to see if they can help.  :)

And all of your encouragement means the world to me, so thank you.  :) :-* :-* :-* :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 07:25:08 am »
Well I'm no closer to having Bear here.  At first I was told that I can't afford to have another dog, neutered and groomed etc.  So I went and did some research.  Here in London we have a great Spay/Neuter clinic in the animal hospital, they charge a flat fee of $85, regardless of size.  As for the grooming, there is a grooming school I can take him to.  He already has all his shots, so I don't need to worry about that.  It's just a matter of convincing Jim to let me take him in!  How on earth do I convince a stubborn farmer to let me take Bear home? ? ? ?

I have on the other hand found the GPCO (Great Pyr. Club of Ontario), and they have a surrender service.  But now I'm struggling with contacting them because I SOOOO want Bear here, and if I call them, they would take him away and my chance to have him would be gone.  And I know that it's completely selfish, and I know I should call them because that would be what's best for Bear, but, I want him!!  Araggh.  I'm going to call Terry now, and see if he'd be willing to give Bear up to a breed specific rescue... :'(

Offline Skippy

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Lollie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 01:58:44 pm »
Haven't been here for a very long time. So what happened to Bear? Did you get him or did you let him go to rescue?
Central New York