Author Topic: Thanks  (Read 16051 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Thanks
« on: February 14, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »
If anyone has any questions, please PM me.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:58:34 am by NewfFan »
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

lins_saving_grace

Re: They did it again....Gilligan.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 04:15:05 pm »
Personally, I'm not a lab person.  I don't have anything against them, but it's just a preference. 
I would be mad and annoyed too.  No matter which breed you get, I would go to another breeder.  sounds like these people are just slackers and not quite right.  maybe they have great pups, but do you really want to take that chance.  you pay a lot of money for a Newf (not that I know how much a Newfy costs, but most pure breds are not cheap) and you should get quality and straight answers.  If the breeder has nothing to hide and is selling reputable dogs and blood lines, they shouldn't be dinking around with papers and certifications .  you know you can report this breeder to the UKC.  just a thought.  it would be a shame if they are doing this to not only the dog, but to the people who take their puppies thinking everything is fine.  That's practically abuse.
I hope you find the dog you want no matter which breed you choose.  Don't settle for a lab if your heart is set on a Newfy.  But get the lab if that's what you want.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:16:15 pm by Lin »

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 04:44:18 pm »
I don't blame you for being angry.  I'd be furious!

As far as the lab vs another Newf - I think you need to look at all of the reasons that made you consider a Newf to start with.  Were you looking for a dog with a lower activity level?  A giant breed?  A dog that's easily trained?  Maybe you're like me and you just can't get enough hair and drool!

Whatever the reasons - be sure that the lab will fit into your lifestyle and will meet your needs and expectations.  They are, needless to say, very very different from Newfs.  In my case, Newfs and Pyrs are both good fits because I like a dog with a somewhat lower energy level.  A lab and I would just make each other miserable. 

Don't feel like you have to rush into a decision either.  I know how hard it is to be ready for a puppy and then find out that you need to wait.  If you're not sure then take a puppy break for awhile until you decide.

(btw - this doesn't mean that you get to skip the Newf get together while you're in TX!!)
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 06:48:15 pm »
I read the title and thought, oh crap.  So I say, oh crap!!!!  OK, first you were getting Gilligan, then the female (Mary Anne??), then both you and the "breeders" thought Gilligan would actually be better for you, now they want to keep him?!?!?!?!? :-\  Sounds very wishy-washy to me.  So now as far as they're concerned you're just out of a dog, after waiting, visiting....an d endless pictures  they have the gaul to say, "you know....we just can't part with him.  Sorry"  I certainly hope you didn't give them a down payment and if you did that money had better be in your hands right now!!!  Oh, I am so livid for you!!!!!

OK, deep breath.....As for the lab, not much of a lab person here either.  My friends have them, they're great, I just don't want one.  ZooCrew makes a good point, don't jump at a puppy just because it's there and you've been waiting for one.  Take a step back and really think about what you want.  Take your time, there are plenty of babies out there.  Good Luck!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:04:05 pm »
my thoughts, newfs are like no other dog!! but i am a little partial. they are so worth the wait!!  i am not a lab person but they are very high energy dogs.  i agree with others.  sit down and take a breath and really decide if you want a newf or are just wanting a pup of any kind. there are alot of breeders out there and it may take a little time to get a newf, but if that is what you mind was set on you may be disappointed with a lab.  best of luck with your search!!

Offline no.newf.ashley

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 06:32:29 am »
Oh Chantel, I'm so sorry to hear about this. Look at it as a blessing in disguise! I too have just gone through a similar situation, and let me tell you it sucks!  I know the feeling of wanting a puppy so bad, but i think if your turly devoted to getting a newf you should stick it out and eventually you will find the right breeder.  It might not be in the near future that you find a puppy but in the end the right one will find you, and you'll look back at this as the path leading to your forever friend, with no regrets!
I hope everything works out with whatever you decide to do, just don't rush into any decissions quite yet.
Good luck!
Ashley

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 08:05:18 am »
I know im late on this post but Chantel, I am so sorry to hear about all of the heck and heartbreak these nasty people have put you through.

I personally have never owned a pure bred lab before but my friend who passed away in Nov. bred and feild trained labs.(black, yellow and choclates....s he had just rescued her first white lab a few weeks before she passed away)
I loved going over to her house and being loved on by her pups and they taught Gunner how to bring the toys back and drop them.
I was always amazed at how they WANTED to learn and never tired of it.  I was always wiped out long before them.
Best of luck to you in your decision and I will be looking for pup pics!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:12:07 am »
I know im late on this post but Chantel, I am so sorry to hear about all of the heck and heartbreak these nasty people have put you through.

I personally have never owned a pure bred lab before but my friend who passed away in Nov. bred and feild trained labs.(black, yellow and choclates....s he had just rescued her first white lab a few weeks before she passed away)
I loved going over to her house and being loved on by her pups and they taught Gunner how to bring the toys back and drop them.
I was always amazed at how they WANTED to learn and never tired of it.  I was always wiped out long before them.
Best of luck to you in your decision and I will be looking for pup pics!

Aw, thank you my dear!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:13:19 am »
Whew!!!  You are a high energy person!!!  Sounds like a high energy dog, like a lab would be a good match.  I love the blocky heads too.  And it sounds like you know if you need to take a step back and breath.  I believe everything happens for a reason.

I know that this board is called Big Paws, but I'm pretty sure no one would run you off!!!  When I first joined, my GSD had passed away and the only dog I had was Daphne, who's actually small for a boxer!!!  and I'm still here!!

Just keep us in the loop!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:14:11 am »
Oh NO!!  I'm a little late on this one myself, but I say the title and I was like oh sh*t, not again.

I am so sorry about Gilligan, that would make me jsut livid.  In fact I am pretty angry right now for you.  I would send these hacks an email telling them just what I thought of them for jerking you around like that, and that is exactly what they did.  They jerked you around by your heartstrings, and then cut you loose and let you fall down.  Big jerks.  >:( >:( >:(

Modified because again, I really need to pay more attention before I post:  I wrote some stuff here, but then went back and read the second page of posting here, so I'm changing my opinion.  It sounds to me Chantal, like a Lab would be a perfect fit for you.  You have the time, you have the energy, and you definatly seem to have the patience and love.  I say go with what feels good in your heart, I think you're gonna love having a lab around!  ;D

And BTW:  Of course we're still gonna love having you around, and we will absolutely need to see lots of pictures.  ;) ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:22:33 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 02:15:54 pm »
I'm so sorry that Gilligan's breeders fell thru once again.  They really dont' seem very professional in their breeding practices, and I'm not even talking the OFA's.

As for labs?  I'm not a big fan of them either.  Way too high energy for me, and I like my dogs a little more unique and labs are always a dime a dozen.

But they are eager to please, easy to train.  Huge food hounds, and major chewers.

I agree that they are a huge difference and nothing like a newf.  Originally did you want a newf specifically?  Or were you just looking to get a dog in general?  Do look at your lifestyle and see what kind of dog would work better.  Don't jump at the first available dog just b/c they are there.  You can always mentor with the lab person even if you don't get one of her puppies. 

I will say though if you do end up getting into showing, make your way into WI, as I'm starting to go to many shows up there (UKC).  I'm looking for a rattie person to mentor me or at least become a better contact than who i've been working with in the past.  :P

Chris! WI is no big deal for me to get to! I'm so excited, I'll FOR SURE make my way over to the shows. I was to get to some shows just to experience things, anyway. Any idea what part of WI you'll venture over to? I don't have many show contacts but I'll check around for Rattie peeps!

I was in Sioux Falls the other day, and thought of ya. Where abouts in SF were you at?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 02:22:51 pm »
You will always be accepted here no matter what decision you make!  We love you ;D

Thank you miss Lori.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 02:24:30 pm »
It actually sounds like the Lab might be an ideal fit for you.  I love Labs myself, especially the English lines.  If you have the opportunity to get the show pup and have that breeder as a mentor, then definitely go for it.  Even if you can't get the show pup, a pet pup from that breeder would be tons better than a so-called show pup from the Newf breeder.

And, keep in mind, that Newfs and Labs actually have a lot in common.  Besides being originated in the same place, both have very gentle temperaments, love the water, love having a "job" to do, are very loyal, etc.  My FIL, who is actually from Newfoundland and has never recognized Labrador as anything but part of Newfoundland, calls Labs the "Newfoundland Retriever". ::)

The Newfs and Labs DO have a lot in common, haha, and I'm looking at black labs, maybe I'll tie some fake fur to her and pretend she's a newf? ;)
Thank you though Holly. Arn't the flat coated retrievers and the chesapeke (sp?) bay retrievers bred from Newfs? Something like that....
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 05:11:11 am »
Aw, Julie that means the world to me! You know, the more I sit here and think about it, and BELIEVE me it's all I've been thinking about, I think a lab is just a perfect fit, I'm a super active chic! Our Aussie is busy and it's never bothered me, I'm pretty use to it, actually.

I'm glad it worked out for you that even though you had planned on one breed (Newf) you ended up with another (Miss Chammie) and are happy as ever! When I make it to CO Charge and my labbie can meet :D (I do plan on coming to meet you at some point, as I need to get out there and see the fam anyway!)

Actually, I looked at a boarder collie/pyr mix this week at a rescue, he was AMAZING, but someone filled out an application for him while I was out walking him! They got him, oh well! He was about 8 though, and mellow.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 12:46:11 am »
i had to laugh when you mentioned the naughty newf stories. i bet it would be tame compared to a naughty lab thread!!  but having said that you do sound like your lifestyle would suite a lab more so than a newf. newf puppies in my opinion are just the cutest ever, but the  puppy stage is so short compared to the life of your pet, so its best to think long range than how cute a puppy is. best of luck in your search and i hope you find the best pet ever!!!