Author Topic: Question for those who have their big guys (and gals!) groomed professionally  (Read 31825 times)

Gentian

Bosco had his first professional grooming (with us) yesterday. I know he was done with his former person, but I've been doing him here at home...until the hair just drove me to seek help. I've never had a dog who needed professional grooming, so I don't now what is standard and what to expect. During his last groom with his previous owner, the groomer accidentally broke his tail, requiring eventual amputation. We got him while he was still miserable, sporting an e-collar and having trouble with healing, so I'm coming at this from a place of worry to begin with.

While he was there, he got a nosebleed, they said either either from stress or the dryers. I work with animals, I know stuff happens, so I wasn't alarmed. They said they also had a hard time keeping him on his feet to dry. Well, yeah!  ::) He's a couch potato. It took four hours to dry him. They didn't really expect him to stand all that time, did they? Or, did they?  ???

When he came home, he was desperate to drink. He finished off his one gallon bowl, the contents of the toilet, and still wanted more. I had to stop him because I was afraid he'd throw up. I asked them to make sure he got water at some point during his stay, but I'm sure they didn't.

The big thing I'm concerned about is that he's limping randomly today and doesn't want to get up. It's not always the same side or the same foot. He just seems sore all over.  He's only two and has no pre-existing hip or joint issues. Is this normal after a grooming?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Poor pup  :(
I have never had a dog professionally groomed but do a lot of grooming myself  :)
I would think that if the groomers used dryers with heating element that could definitely cause dehydration and perhaps nose bleeding. Most of the time groomers use cage dryers for very hairy pups...it's would be shocking if they kept him on his feet for FOUR hours!

It does sound like he was very stressed  :( Have you thought of giving him something to relax before grooming session?
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Gentian

I didn't consider that he'd be that stressed because he loves grooming at home. Even the clippers don't scare him here. If there is a next time, I think I'll give him something.

The way they talked, they used a cage dryer, but they kept going back to get him to stand up. The comment was "It takes a long time to dry. They lay down and we have to keep getting them back up."  ???

I'm just not sure what they would have done to make him so sore. He loads in and out of the truck a couple times a month without incident, and I always give him a boost so he doesn't have to drag that big rear end up by himself. Real physical activity never bothers him, but grooming does?

I gave him some aspirin and if he's not better tomorrow, I guess I'll call the vet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 05:57:35 am by Gentian »

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile

The way they talked, they used a cage dryer, but they kept going back to get him to stand up. The comment was "It takes a long time to dry. They lay down and we have to keep getting them back up."  ???

I'm just not sure what they would have done to make him so sore.

If I had to stand under a dryer for four hours I would be sore as well  :P If he was really stressed out than muscle ache is very much explainable. I think a few days of rest will help him to recover  :) a few nice treats will help as well  ;)

You could look into grooming salons that use Air Forcer rather than dryers. It takes much faster to dry fluffy dogs and it's not heated.  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

None of what you reported sounds like I would ever take my bubs back to that groomer. I personally don't like the cage dryers and many good groomers don't use them for the reasons you describe. Many dogs get overheated, dehydrated and you are right, the only way to get them completely dry is if they stand the whole time. To be dramatic, there have been cases of animals dying in those type of dryers.

Your dog should never be returned to you with any blood whatsoever! Occasionally a nail quick can get nipped but styptic powder should be applied and bleeding stopped before the dog ever goes home. I've never heard of a dog coming out with a bloody nose.

We take Sophie and Syrus to be groomed about every 6 to 8 months. Mainly because they do such a beautiful job getting all the hair out and they come back absolutely gorgeous, soft and happy. They only use hand-blow dryers. We had Sophie done right before surgery. With both ACL's blown she couldn't stand for more than 5 minutes at a time. They were able to work with her sitting most of the time and did a wonderful job.

How on earth did a groomer accidentally break a Newf's tail?? :o

Poor Bosco. These sound like horrible experiences for him. There are very good groomers out there. If you take him again I would encourage looking for one who has experience with the double coated giant breeds. And no cage dryers!

Our groomers charge from $60 to $80 (per dog) depending on what we have done from a basic wash and comb out to the full works with hair trimming around ears, paws, legs and chest. They have more than one groomer so for both dogs it takes them about 4 hours.

I totally understand about taking them to a professional. I do quite a bit with my bubs from brushing to washing regularly, but sometimes they just need a very good thorough head to toes from someone with all the proper equipment and patience.

Give that Bosco a big smooch on his big beautiful nose. Good luck in finding just the right groomer.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Sorry to hear he had a bad time at the groomers.
And I'm pretty sure most, if not all groomers have the cage dryers as there are some breeds that cannot have velocity driers used on them (brachiocephali c dogs).

But I cannot imagine using one on a dog for 4 hrs!!  That is ridiculous!  no wonder he was so thirsty.  We only do quick baths in my dept, but we aren't allowed to have the dog in the air dryer for more than 30 min (2 15 min intervals).  I don't know what the grooming's rules are.  For the most part, we use a velocity drier, then towel dry them.  They're still damp when we're done but then we usually have them for several more hours, if not a day longer anyway so they can finish drying in their room.

My suggestion would be to have the use the velocity drier on him first to get most of the water out, then put him in a cage drier to finish the rest.  And seriously if they're laying down?  Move the drier down, it's not that hard!  ::)

I'm also shocked he broke his tail at the last groomers.  How the heck did that happen!?  >:(

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I take Phoebe in every 6-8wks to be groomed and I have had no problems I can't say that she enjoys it but she tolerates it.
I just dont have the equipment to get the job done.  I do brush her here at home but leave the heavy grooming for the groomer.  I pay $65 to have her done.  When I do pick her up alot of the time she is not 100% dry but I dont mind. 
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
Ours are still little but we've never had any problems with having them groomed.  I'd be furious if my dogs came home dehydrated and sore! 

We're looking at investing in a dryer for the house so that we can do most of their grooming at home.  The prices here to groom a full grown Pyr or Newf are outrageous so a dryer will pay for itself in no time.  I've already ordered an instructional DVD for Newf grooming and am setting up a grooming station here at home. 

I'm sure there will be times when I want them to be groomed by a professional (maybe just to repair any damage from my practice attempts) so I've found one who will come to my home and groom them where they are most comfortable.
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Viking Lady

I have taken Luke to his vet twice for a "bath". He gets a bath and his nails trimmed for $30. Both times he came out dry, brushed beautifully, smelling very sniffable, and looking very handsome!

Gentian

Thank you all for confirming my suspicions that this was not a normal grooming experience! The whole reason I wanted to have him done was that I knew their dryers would do a better job of blowing out all that extra hair, but I really didn't expect him to be under it for so long.

When we first got him, we were told that he had a wound that wouldn't heal, and that's why his tail was amputated, but later when I contacted his old vet, I was told that their groomer had accidentally shut his tail in the cage and no one realized it was broken until he'd started a wound at the break. The vet whose groomer broke it was the one who did the amputation, and he insisted to me later that had the previous owners been more compliant with keeping his e-collar on and limiting his activity, it would have healed without amputation. Who knows, right?

He's less sore tonight, but for the first time since we've had him (a few months now), he didn't finish his dinner. Poor kid. He did go out and play, though, so I think he's okay. He looks great, anyway. I think next time, I'll take him somewhere else.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Wow, I would definitely skip that groomer next time!  I've had my dogs professionally groomed quite a few times in years past and I've never had them come out sore not to mention that thirsty.  Poor guy.   :(  That sounds pretty extreme to me.   :-\
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Gentian

He's great today :) No sore anymore, eating again, happy.

I called the grooming place today and told the manager what happened. It's a chain, and I got pretty much nowhere. I was told that if I needed to take him to the vet, I should use theirs and they would consider covering it if the vet found that grooming had caused the problem. I'm not taking him because he's okay now, but we won't go there again and since I'm in a position to recommend animal-related services quite often, I'll be sure to recommend against them.

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
I'm not taking him because he's okay now, but we won't go there again and since I'm in a position to recommend animal-related services quite often, I'll be sure to recommend against them.

That is sometimes the best revenge..there is no excuse for what he went thru..

I was a groomer for a short timer and there is just no excuse at all ..yes sometimes accidents happen..and I suppose in a busy shop things can get overlooked..bu t
NO EXCUSE

I would try to find someone that takes their dog to a place they are happy with..and would speak to the owners or who ever is in charge before ever taking him in and explain what has happened to him in the past..and get a tour of the place while your at it..

A drop in tour of the facalities can tell you alot about how they do things..

And if they aren't willing to let you there is a reason..
They should be happy to let you see everything going on..

So sorry he has had such a hard time..

TATFK

Offline lucyswoman

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Your poor baby, a broken tail and bloody nose - no wonder he was stressed. My pyr has been being groomed since 4 months ever 4-5 weeks.  When lus first came to me from my daughters I took her to a groomer that cost $60 and she gave her razor burns behind her ears.I had her groomed today at a new groomers and when I came to pick her up she was just hanging out lose in the shop looking sparkle plenty. She had water, been out to pee. Happy to see me but not frantic and certainly not bleeding. Lus was bathed, nails done, bum all clean and clipped so relieving herself won't get messy, without looking too thinned down and and totally dry with a lavender bow, all in 4 hours for $35.  I found the groomer on angies list. I hope you can find someone good... your poor guy - I am really baffled by the bloody nose.. a drying can really do that ??? :(

Offline MollyGirl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
I too have Phoebe groomed every 6wks and she always comes home happy and sparkly clean she sleeps for the whole day after, but, Im not complaining about that. She is there for 2 1/2 hrs. and I pay $65.
Becky
Phoebe 1-1/2 Yr.Great Pyrenees
MollyGirl No longer with us Pyr/Springer mix