Author Topic: Am I too Picky??  (Read 8266 times)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Am I too Picky??
« on: February 17, 2009, 06:36:33 am »
I have started to work with the local Dane Rescue. I have had the home inspection and no problems there. They brought over a year old female and her and Athena shared water bowl and toys just fine. This dog was awful on leash and when on leash in the house she was ok with my cats. One cat ran while she was just loose in the house and she snapped, growled and lunged for the cat. Luckly he jumped through the cat door in my gate to the kitchen. I think by the way the email was worded to me that they think I'm being too picky. Basically they said any dog will chase a strange cat if it runs. I think there is a difference between chasing and snapping & growling. She snapped at me as well when i had a toy in my hand too. My little voice in my head said this isn't going to work. Am I right or am I being too picky?
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Am I too Picky??
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 06:49:00 am »
You are right.  You have to be an advocate for your other pets as well as the new potential pet.  If the rescue group says that any dog will chase a cat when it runs they are somewhat correct however the lunge, snap, and growl are way over the top and pose a potential life threatening issue for your cats. 
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

tralfazmom

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:00:57 am »
Absolutely not! Always listen to your little voice. It concerns me that the rescue would brush off your concerns, they should be trying to offer you advice on how to work the undesirable behavior out with training. That kind of response will ultimately come back to hurt the dog in the long run. I have fostered GSDs over the years and there were several times that a foster was just not right with my family and pets. The rescue placed these dogs in another foster as quickly as possible and also listened to my concerns about where NOT to place the dogs. We worked as a team to try and correct behaviors and find the most appropriate permanent homes for them. Keep up the good works, and good luck!

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:10:51 am »
I'm really surprised that the rescue is not more willing to help make the situation work for both you and the dane. Your cat was in the house first, and regardless this dog I'm sure is making your cat uncomfortable by growling/snapping, so you need, as someone else said, to be an advocate for your cat, first and foremost! I'm sure there are other dogs in the rescue that would suit your living situation better?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

AudgePadge

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 07:12:56 am »
I don't think you're being picky at all!  I think that you're doing the right thing in the long run, especially if your intuition says so :)  I think the rescue should be helping you find a better suited dog, and not judge you for protecting the pets you already have.

Kirsti

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:17:26 am »
I agree with everyone. You are not being to picky, your being protective. The rescue should helping more finding one better for everyone. good luck :D

~Kirsti

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:28:01 am »
I agree.  You were totally within your right to be concerned for your cats.  The dogs' behavior would have raised a red flag for me as well.

I am actually concerned that the rescue didn't listen more to your concerns and the way they responded is a bit unsettling.  I hope they don't end up placing that dog in a home with cats, the consequences could be devestating.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 03:04:38 am »
I took your advice and talked with the main person in the rescue. She is taking that particular dog to her house and keeping her for further evaluation. It was a young guy that was doing her foster and he was out of work so he had plenty of time to work with her but.... Anyway we are going to do a meet and greet with a female that was used as a breeder but with all 3 litters she had there was only 1 pup in each. I guess the breeder (by no means a good breeder) was going to put her down and the neighbor convinced him to put her in rescue. I guess she is a true love bug and loves all animals even chickens! She has been in rescue for several months and is completely trustworthy in the house alone for the day as well. She loves to run and play and is learning what toys are (poor thing.) So does it sound like I've already made my choice! :D I will be objective when I do get to see her and how she is with Athena but so far it sounds promising.
Mom to:
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09

Tonda

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 05:16:16 am »
Yea!!! I'm all about the love bugs.

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 05:49:49 am »
Here is a picture of her. Her name is Aurora.
Mom to:
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09

Kirsti

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 05:55:02 am »
Awe! It sounds like such a great match. Poor thing with her past though!  :( :(  She is so pretty!

~Kirsti

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 07:42:53 am »
Aw, fingers and paws crossed for you. She's a beauty. Let us know what Aurora is like! We'll all be anxious to hear.
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

AudgePadge

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 07:52:18 am »
Ooh she's gorgeous...and i LOVE that name  ;D keep us posted!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2009, 09:09:49 am »
I hope that Aurora works out, she does sound more promising.
She is beautiful, I love solid merles.  And I love the name, we have a little shih tzu that comes into work with that name (too cute, she always has bows in her hair)