Author Topic: Cats being treated at vermin?  (Read 5155 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Cats being treated at vermin?
« on: February 17, 2009, 11:52:42 am »
So first I want to say I'm not sure how true this is but this is what I've heard recently.

My "sister" aka very close family friend came over today and was talking to me for a bit. I'm not sure how this came about but toward the end of the conversation we were talking about animals and then she mentioned that something about pests and said "You probably don't want to know how they dispose of the cats at the landfill" that's where her boyfriend works and I replied with "what do they kill them?" She was like yea they throw them in the compactor because they are considered vermin to the garbage and they are told to get rid of them. I told her that if she wanted she could feel free to bring me any cats they get a hold of and I'll take them no problem.

Now I'm very disturbed by that. Is there anything someone could do about that wouldn't that be considered animal abuse in anyway, sure they are suppose to get rid of the cats but what about trapping them and sending them off to the pound? Being crushed alive is no way a humane way to settle that problem. Does anyone have ideas on what to do at all? I'm sickened by the thought of it and I can't understand how anyone could that to any type of living animal.

So I also did some research and found out what landfill it is. I am thinking I'm going to call the place tomorrow and see what they have anything to say about it.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline MagicM3

• Paw-meister
  • *Sir William
    • View Profile
Re: Cats being treated at vermin?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:18:30 pm »
That is terrible..and is abuse of a living being any way you look at it..

I would report it wether you know it to be a fact or just a rumor..

TATFK

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »
I would say if they confirm it and won't do anything about it, or if they give you the run around; try contacting your local newspaper, or TV station.  They could possibly investigate therefore forcing the Landfill to remove the cats in a more humane fashion.
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:02:50 pm »
That is horrible.  >:(  >:(
Vermin or not, in most places you still have to "kill" them in a relatively humane way.  Throwing live animals into a compactor is far from  humane, it is cruel and ultimately very very sick.  I can't believe the workers there actually do that willingly!!  >:(  >:(  What do they do about the other "vermin" ie: birds, rats, etc?  Do they get rid of them the same way?

I would def. contact someone about this.  I cannot imagine it is legal.

I think the media route would also be a good way to go.  I'm sure many a townspeople would be up in arms over this.

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 04:16:44 pm »
Media is a great way to bring about change, any type of business hates negative media, so I would suspect that some results, in favor of the kitties, might come about quickly if TV stations/newspapers/radios were involved!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 03:35:06 am »
Most definately contact your local TV station! OMG that just breaks my heart.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties