Author Topic: Going to foster a Chihuahua...any help?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Going to foster a Chihuahua...any help?
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:21:18 am »
I know we are all BP owners here, but please be as unbiased as you can in maybe helping me a bit!

I got contacted today by a friend who does Chi rescue. There is a Chi here in town who needs to be fostered starting today, but the rescue gal is going to be out town for a week. I aggreed to take the Chi.

I guess the pup is timid. I hope she fits into the pack we've got here. She's 8 months old. We've got 2 senior dogs who don't much care about other dogs, although one is alpha, a 1 year old mini aussie who just wants to play, and 2 cats, who mind their own business. I don't know that Chi's have the best temperment, are there any suggestions as to what to do with a timid pup?

Is there anyway to kind of start modeling her so she does not being an aggressive Chi? All the ones I know are fairly tempermental. Also, I'm sure I'll fall in love, watch me end up with a Chi!

Anyway, any help is appreciated. Maybe some of you have not had Chi's, but a lot of you foster/have adopted dogs, and this is my first time!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Going to foster a Chihuahua...any help?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 10:14:01 am »
I will get her into the vet tomorrow for a good worming and vacciantions, but does anyone know if she can pass anything (especially worms) onto my dogs/cats tonight, or even in the next few days? They are all vaccination, but only the Aussie is on heart guard, the others never go anywhere and are always healthy (Papillion and Sheltie, both seniors) so they are not wormed, nor are they on Heart Guard (they are my parents pets, Aussie is partially mine so I get to decide what she gets/doesn't get).
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 11:37:44 am »
Oooooh, how exciting!

Yes, if she has worms, its very possible she could transfer them to someone else.  I'm actually wondering why the aussie is on heartguard in the middle of winter?  Is it b/c of the possibility of other worms (not heartworm)?

Liz is a great role model for chi owners.  i will say you  might want to invest in pee pads.  I don't know of a single chi that can hold their bladder more than 4 or 5 hrs but then I only know of the ones that board at work.

And yes, socialize, socialize, socialize.  And be sure to treat her like a dog no matter how small and cute she is.  And be sure to post pix!  I've seen chi/ratties before.  they're often the size of Posey (she's a mini), but more finely boned, almost like toy fox terriers.

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 12:03:28 pm »
Chris,
The vet here has gotten everyone, or a lot of people, by making them think that it is easier, so you don't have to try and figure out what months to give it. I think it's bull, but I want the dog on it, since I take her places, so my mom's stipulation was that it was year round.

She's cute so far (the foster). Not at all as timid as I thought she would be, in fact right now she's bounding around the room with my sister, checking everything out. She wouldn't eat at the temp. foster's house, but I just gave her some of the other dog's food and she ate some and had a drink. She's actually got quite a bit of personality.

Her previous owners painted her toe nails pink. She has one heck of an under bite that makes her cute and ugly. I see Rattie in her, and Chi. Right now we're calling her Tula.

Pics to come. She doesn't like the other dogs, nor does she like the cat!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 12:40:14 pm »
Huh, that is kind of weird about the vet.  In Ca we kept them on year round b/c of the warmer temps but I've never had a vet in the midwest want to keep them on year round.  Of course it saves you a heartworm test in the spring then.

Hopefully she just needs some time to get used to the other dogs and cats.  Has she been around other dogs/animals before? 

Still waiting for pix........... .*tap tap tapping*  ;)