Author Topic: Have I Lost My MIND????  (Read 35257 times)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Have I Lost My MIND????
« on: February 21, 2009, 03:50:16 am »
So after the issues we had with Boudreaux two weeks ago (all which seem to be working out ok), there is going to be a new addition to our family.  I have wanted something small for awhile now, a lapish kind of dog...pug to be precise.  WELL...hubby went home to visit family in AL last week and the ex-wife has a husky puppy that her new hubby got her in November.  See where this is going?  Yea, she isn't a dog person and is needing to get rid of her registered Husky already.  So Big Daddy will be returning to Cornfield h*ll with a Husky pup.  Lap dog?  nope.  But  I guess that is ok, we are keeping a pup from going to the shelter and that is where he was headed.  :)  I've been reading up on them but anyone with experience, feel free to send any tips/hints/knowledge my way!  I appreciate anything you can tell me about the breed. :) Oh his name will be Comrade and he will be here tomorrow!  Wish me luck!   
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:58:33 am by Softhug »
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Have I Lost My MIND????
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 05:27:02 am »
My chow was pretty hard headed too.  Hubby says you can call this pup and call him and he just does his thing.  He is starting obedience training today.  LOL!  I appreciate your hints and thoughts.  I will post more photos, however as the ex's hubby is a photographer, they won't likely look as good!   ;) 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 05:35:47 am »
that face has an adorability factor off the charts.  That's nice of your hubby to help his ex by taking her dog.  nothing worse for a dog than to live with someone who is not a dog person.  you're doing a wonderful thing.
Pugs are very cute!! I thought about getting one once, but i didn't want to deal with the eye and breathing issues they tend to develop.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 05:45:56 am »
Congratulation s !

I'll always have a special place in my heart for this breed , I was owned by one for six years , he was my best friend ! His name was Willow and he was a red & white also , only with golden colored eyes .

I got him in Alaska when my Dad was stationed up there . Willow's sire ran in the Iditerod , so he came from really strong working lines .

I found him very easy to teach tricks to . Very snuggly and easy going in the house . GO - GO - GO when he was outside , he used to love to just do circles around our house . Over and over and over again ! LOL He was pretty good at coming when called but I would never have trusted him off leash anywhere without a fence .

We really found a great outlet for his energy when my Mom bought him a racing harness and I started taking him out on bike rides . I never once had to pedal , just let him jog ahead of me , pulling me for miles . He learned left and right , stop , slow down , go faster , etc . It was so much fun !

I hope to have a sled dog team in the future when we finally get our place  :)
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:24:47 am »
You have not lost your mind, because he is TOO CUTE to pass up! Goodness is he ever! I have no experience with Huskies, but have to say, I've always wanted one!
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 02:28:08 pm »
Unlike Mastiffs, Huskies tend to have a mind of their own. They will act like they don't hear you and things tend to happen on their terms...very hard headed. You'll have to exercise his mind as well as his body.

They like to run, returning when called is not a strong point. They talk back. They have a high prey drive.

Hmmm...is it possible that Kentucky is actually a husky? This sounds just like my yellow dog
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 03:03:39 pm »
My Willow's mask never faded but he did pass away at only 6 years old so maybe that's why ?
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:46:34 am »
I've had 2 huskies and they were both somewhat hard headed but I would not have traded them for the world. I love they way they talk back! You are gonna love them in spite of some of their traits!! I could have never walked away either!!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties