Author Topic: Best cheapy food for itchy dog  (Read 6105 times)

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Best cheapy food for itchy dog
« on: February 26, 2009, 02:04:11 pm »
The Lhasa I'm living with has skin allergies, and is allergic to flea bites (not that he gets those often) and he itches a lot. He's not on any meds right now, but is eating I think Iams (yuck) so I suggested finding a better food. His owner (my Grandma) can't afford to put him on anything super fancy, but he's a little dog and doesn't eat much. What should I recommend?
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Sammie- Newfoundland/Border Collie mix
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Stinky- Silver Marten rabbit
Ruby, Mambo and Charlotte- Rats
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Bailey the Wolf-Dog 1998-2007
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Best cheapy food for itchy dog
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 03:55:21 pm »
There isn't much cheap about IAMS its 33.99 a bag by me. I can get some of the pretty healthy foods for less then that.

Pro plan sensitive skin and stomache is not to bad in price. Also look at Natural Balance they have several allergy foods.

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:18:35 am »
Thanks y'all! I think since I have tried Nutro foods, I'll take her to the pet store to look at those. She lives alone, and her dog is her world (she made the nurses sneak him into the hospital so he would be there with her when they pronounced my grandfather dead)

Thanks again,
Leah and Kerry
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:29 am »
My guys were on Natural Balance for a long time and they loved it.  They looked good and did really well on it.  I also changed them over to Blue Buffalo too and they did well on it also.  The only reason that I went grain free is because Shiner was still really gassy on both of those foods.  Not as bad as he was on Purina but he has minimal gas now that he is grain free.  I know Petco carries Wellness which is what Kaila and Shiner get now and their large bag is $58 (I think).  Not sure how much a small bag would run.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Leah...

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:50:27 pm »
My dogs have been on Blue for a year or so now, and I'm happy with it. But it isn't exactly low-grain which I thought would be better for a dog with skin allergies? I started him on fish oil today, so hopefully that will help some too.
Leah
Mom to:
Sky- Australian Shepherd
Rose- Tortie/Tabby cat
Trevor- Frog
13 Millipedes
NO LONGER WITH US
Spanky- Rabbit 2000-2007