Author Topic: Moo hates his Halti.  (Read 6687 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Moo hates his Halti.
« on: March 01, 2009, 09:00:01 am »
Naja is great with her Gentle Leader on, it only took me 1 or 2 sessions to train her with it.  Moo on the other hand, is like a little possessed demon with his Halti.  Refusing to walk, slamming his little head onto the ground trying to get it off.  Is it just me, or are little dogs WAAYYYY harder to train then the big ones??  I'll continue to try because I hate taking him for walks 'cause he pulls and chokes himself.  But what else can I do at this point, he's almost 2 years old, he's my mothers dog, she really hasn't done a darn thing to try to train him, that all gets left to me.  Today I had him wearing the Halti on our walk, but I attached his leash to his buckle coller, just trying to get him used to wearing it.  He's not really treat motivated, but he does love car rides.  Maybe I'll have him wear the Halti while we're in the car, to try to get him used to it and associating it with positive things.  Has anyone tried a prong coller on a dog this small (he's 17lbs)?  Any other suggestions??
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:01:01 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

lins_saving_grace

Re: Moo hates his Halti.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:34:49 pm »
grace was ok with her halti unless i made her wear the mouth piece.  She would go into convulsions until she wiggled the head gear off.  then she'd walk just fine.

lookingfornewf

Re: Moo hates his Halti.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 04:38:24 am »
Let me know how it works out. I'm afraid I can't be any help at all. I have a 17 pound 9 year old dog that can not walk. She has been to obedience and did great. You get her outside for a walk and it's not much fun. For the first about 5 years it was hard to even get her to put 4 on the floor. She would just pull and pull. I've tried various choke collars, then she pulls and make even worse gagging noises, but it doesn't stop her, or any harness type things. Having her carry a tennis ball or having a squeeker in your pocket that you squeek every so often helps some. Most of the time now she at least keeps her paws on the ground. I never even thought about a prong collar for her, I don't know if it would slow her down or not.