Author Topic: NDR - Oh the Tangled Web We ( I ) Weave (rant-long, sorry) **UPDATE**  (Read 9013 times)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
I've gotten myself into financial pickles before, I seem to be quite good at it, and I've no idea how I do it.

Monday: My car insurance was due to be up for renewal, the company I was with hicked up my premiums to $250/month. YIKES!  I can't afford that, so I cancel, without any thought as to what the consequences might be.  So under the advice of my mother (always has the best advice whether I want it or not ::)) I called my lien holder because the new insurance company I found was going to take like 15 days to appprove my policy for $128/month.  Well now, the lien holder says they are going to  fine me $100 if I let my insurance lapse.  Well cr@p! that sux, so I get on the horn to the new insurance company, get transfered to like 15 people that don't speak english and I can't understand who STILL don't want to help me get the policy thorugh that day!  So I'm finally talking to a manager, who is VERY rude about it (and they don't even have my business yet?!) so I tell him to go f himself and hang up.  Now I'm angry, frustrated, need a cigarette which I can't have because I quit last Wed, and I still don't have insurance which I need by the end of the day or I'll get fined.  Okay, my old insurance broker told me that she could get me a policy for like $175/month, which is WAY better then the $250, but not nearly as good as the $128 which is why I said no to her in the first place and made the mistake of trying to go to a new company instead of the company I'd been with for 2 years and quite happy with.  So I call her back and leave her a message, that was probably all ranty and jumbled, and didn't make much sence 'cause she never got back to me that day.  I waited until the last posible momtent for her to call, but then couldn't wait any longer.  I called different company in panic and signed up for a policy that was like $200/month  :'( >:(.  Now the guy that set up the policy was super nice, and totally understood that I'm unemployed and can't afford that much money, and told me that if I needed to cancel within 30 days there would be no cancelation fee.  Awesome!  Or so I thought...

Yesterday: I finally got a hold of my old insurance broker and explaned my situation to her, she found me a new policy for WWWAAAAYYYY less then $200/mo, and less even then I was paying BEFORE all this stupid stuff happened!  Great, the policy is in the mail, I'm all set up!  Now all I have to do is call back the other insurance company, it's only been 2 days, so I shouldn't have a problem.  Ding ding ding WRONG!!! 

Today: It's only been 2 days but I'm going to have to pay a cancellation fee of $338!!!  After I was told there would be NO fee!  Those rotten stinking, lying jerks!!!  They won't tell me WHEN they're going to take it out of my acct. Just that as soon as they process my cancelation form, it will be taken out.  They don't care it's only been 2 freaking days!!  I don't mind paying a little bit, I did use their services for 2 days, I don't even mind paying a prorated fee, but $338?!  I'm so mad now I don't know what to do, I should've taken the $100 fee from my lienholder, at least I wouldn't be going through all of this garbage. 

Does anyone here work in insurance?  Can they legally do that even if they told me in the first place that there would be no cancellation fee? The recording at the beginning of every call says that all calls are recorded, could I make them go back and listen to that call?? 'Cause if I had've known that in the first place I wouldn't have signed the policy.  Wait a minute, I don't think I signed anything at all.  They have nothing with my signature on it.  Can I fight this??
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 04:12:17 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Just a quick note! Put a stop payment from your bank for that insurance company. It costs 10 bucks. It's WELL worth it!! The bank will stop the payment from comming out of your account. Hopefully you can get to it in time and use that extra time to negotiate with those "people"!!  >:(
Good Luck....  :)

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice guys!  I am fighting it tooth and nail.  I'm on the phone (on hold) right now trying to get through to a supervisor.  I asked them to pull the original conversation I had and listen to it, hopefully they'll do that.  Liz:  Any info you can get me on what you went through would be awesome.  I also spoke to my cousin who is a Mortgage Broker (so she know's a thing or two about legal contracts  ;)), and she basically said the same thing.

I tried the stop payment thing, but if I don't know when they're going to take it, my bank can't do anything... :-\

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link Liz.  It was very helpful, unfortunatly because it's insurance it falls under totally different rules.  :-\  But I was able to use it to contact the FSCO, who then got me in contact with the Ombudsman for the insurance company.  So hopefully he can help me.  I'm going to write a letter to the local newspaper, and see if the local TV station maybe can have something to say about the matter.  I just don't know how I get myself into these situations  :P ??? :-[

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:26:18 am by 2Criminals »

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: NDR - Oh the Tangled Web We ( I ) Weave (rant-long, sorry) **UPDATE**
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:11:36 am »
Well I just got off the phone with a nice lady named Erica, who is the Ombudsman for the companies assistant.  She listened to the calls, and agrees that the cancellation policy was not communicated appropriately to me.  So she is going to cancel the policy effective Wednesday March 4 and not charge the cancellation penalty!!!  YAY!!  Thank you guys for your help, and for not letting me give up.  If it hadn't been for your encouragements I would have ended up letting them bully me into being a whole lot poorer then I already am.  Now I'm still going to pay for the 2 days that I did use their service, but that's only $13.00, so I'm totally okay with that.  And now I know to absolutely make 100% sure all the details of a contract before I agree to ANYTHING!

Thanks you again to all my BPO friends!   ;D ;D ;D

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 05:53:20 am »
Glad to hear that all ended well!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

lookingfornewf

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 08:11:12 am »
Good for you for standing your ground. I'm happy to hear it worked out for you.