Author Topic: Summer Hair Cuts  (Read 11137 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Summer Hair Cuts
« on: March 25, 2009, 04:04:04 am »
Well, I haven't decided but was thinking about giving Tink a Summer hair cut.

Her coat is about 5" - 6" and I was thinking about cutting her down to about 2" - 3" for the summer, shaving her belly and between her toes of course too. She loves to swim and this spring has been so wet, she is already been a muddy mess and it takes hours to clean her up.

Any comments or advice? I so don't want her to look like a poodle when she is done, but need something more managable this summer. She is already starting to pant excessively and I think it would be more comfortable for her too.

I know we don't have any kom owners out there, but anyone have any experience with them. If she follows true kom coats, it will continue to grow her whole life. I really don't want it any longer than it is and think it needs to be cut this summer.

Let me know what you think.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Hair Cuts
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:54:18 pm »
If she has a double coat, the long outer hair is what will keep her cool this summer.  I wouldn't ever cut one of my dogs fur down, but I am a long hair freak on cats, dogs or people.  I also absolutely love brushing my dogs, so they get brushed everyday.  When they are blowing coat, other than sweeping hourly, I am in heaven.  I have a reason to brush them.  My dogs don't get excessively dirty.  Thank goodness.  I don't think just a trim would hurt anything if that is what you prefer.  I don't think a haircut is going to do anything as far as keeping a dog cooler though.
Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 03:31:33 am »
The hair would also provide a layer to protect Tinks skin from the summer sun.  But I think if you're leaving 2-3" that should be sufficient, and MUCH easier to deal with when she goes swimming or rolling around in mud.  ;)
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:09 am »
I give my Saint a summer trim; mostly on the back of her legs, her tummy, and a little off the sides and top. Much cleaner when she gets in and out of her baby pool in the summer, but the others are right; just leave enough fur to prevent sun burn and I think Tink will be fine and look good too!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 10:03:59 am »
I just left Petsmart and a lady was leaving with her Pry that had just got a summer cut and she was beautiful!  The left her tail full but maybe 1/2 of hair...Her ears were trimmed so pretty.  She def looked like a little lady!

lorim2

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:05:07 am »
Oh and I do get White kitty and Orange kitty a lions cut at the beginning of each summer..haha They look so awesome..I guess Nekkid kitty is already for the summer ;D

Offline Gloria C

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 10:35:50 am »
 :D just gave my 2 Persians the Lion Cut.....they look so rediculous...b ut they're strutting around that house like a couple of Peacocks!    :D ;D ::)

Offline apple25

• Ankle Biter
  • Petra - my beautiful Bouvier!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 11:36:12 am »
I've been keeping Petra in a puppy trim, but it grows so fast that I blink and she is all furry again. I think as long as you don't go too close to her skin you'll be fine - 2" should be good.  Show pics whatever you decide!