Author Topic: Great Dane/Mastiff mix  (Read 14666 times)

Offline jpeters

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Great Dane/Mastiff mix
« on: March 08, 2009, 10:07:34 am »
I'm looking for a Great Dane/Mastiff mix. Does anybody know where I could find one? I'm having a very time locating a breeder!! I read somewhere that it is a newly recognized AKC mixed breed, so I guess the fever just hasn't caught on yet. But if anybody know any breeders that breed them, please let me know!!!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Great Dane/Mastiff mix
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:12:57 am »
Well, I don't know where you got your info from, but they are def. NOT an AKC breed, and won't be anytime soon.

As for where to find one, I'd look on petfinder.com.  that would be your best bet..........a s most "breeders" of these designer breeds aren't breeding for the betterment of the breed.

Offline jpeters

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:16:14 am »
Wow- I didn't know all of that stuff!! I read some stuff on how the mixed breeds were better because the pure breeds have a lot of genetic problems. I would honestly appreciate some advice on what kind of dog to get. I knew a Great Dane/Mastiff that was a really sweet dog, so that was what my husband and I were wanting to get. But I don't want a poor quality dog, especially if I'm going to pay hundreds of dollars for it! We're wanting a large dog, short haired, not super high-maintenance. We want it to be part of the family, so we won't be using it for breeding or showing or any of that sort of thing. It's going to be our baby. What would you recommend we get? We are very newly married, and so this is our first dog together. And I don't personally know a lot about what is out there. We had a couple of rescues when I was growing up, but not ever one that was researched and chosen by us. So please let me know what you think. I know that a lot of it is opinion, but I am really open to any suggestions!!! Thanks!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 09:17:51 am by jpeters »

Offline jpeters

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 03:12:50 pm »
i'm in idaho! i looked at the one rescue that was recommended, but they didn't have what we're looking for. we want a young dog so that we can raise it the way we want it. my sister got a dog from a shelter and it was the worst experience ever. he was i think 3 years old. so we definitely want a puppy. i would love some help finding one!!! the more i look into all of this stuff, the more i realize that i don't know much about it at all!!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 08:19:58 am »
And just keep in mind that giant breeds mature more slowly than other dogs so they are still very much the puppy at 1 and even 2 yrs old.

Offline jpeters

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:03:50 am »
thank you everyone for helping out!! we ended up using puppyfind.com and actually found a dog in our area!! he is a great dane/lab mix and he is beautiful. he's also such a sweetie! it took a while for him to warm up to us, but when he did, it was torture for him and us to have to leave him there another night!!! we're picking him up tomorrow night after he goes to the vet to be neutered. we're so excited!!! he's somewhere between 6 months and a year, and is a very big boy!! we are so happy to be the proud parents of a sweet baby boy!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 10:17:40 am »
Congrats on finding your new family member.
Can't wait to see pix of him.  :)

Offline overinsanity

• Gnawer
  • Delilah at 51/2 months in the bee suit :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 06:53:54 pm »
My Neopolitan Mastiff / blue nose pit female had a litter. My male is a 100% grey "blue" pitbull. He is 85 pounds. She is 60 and growing. Unfortunately this WAS NOT planned- she is only 10 months old. We did want them to have a litter next year and had kennelled her during the day- but they obviously snuck around while we were home. We literally treat our dogs like our kids so we want to find GREAT homes for them. Let me know if you are interested or want pics of the pups. They are ADORABLE. I can't say enough about our adults temperments too- they are wonderful dogs. - di
dianaghaderpan ah@yahoo.com