Author Topic: Is there really a lawsuit against Canidae?  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Is there really a lawsuit against Canidae?
« on: March 09, 2009, 02:15:02 am »
I just bought a big bag of Canidae ALS and started to slowly introduce it.  We were switching because after a few months on the Blue, the dogs were still having soft stools, Apollo'a are actually very loose.  Anyway, I thought it was a good quality food, but my mom just sent me an e-mail about a class action lawsuit against Canidae.  Here's the link she sent:

http://www.dogfoodclassaction.com/index.html

Is anyone else feeding Canidae?  Now I don't know if I should give it a try, or attempt to get a refund and try a different brand all together.  Suggestions or advice?

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Is there really a lawsuit against Canidae?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 02:21:39 am »
I stopped feeding Canidae when they switched up their formula because Naja started to have booty blowouts.  We haven't had any food related problems since switching to Origen 6 fish.  But I haven't heard anything about any lawsuits.  I wonder what happened that would be serious enough to warrent that?  ???

Modified after reading Jens link:  Wow, I'm glad I switched when I did.  It looks like the company has really taken a turn for the worse.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 02:24:39 am by London_Pyr_Lover »
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:36:39 am »
ah, geez.  I guess I'm off to the store.  Hopefully I'll get a refund.  I guess it's good that we were only at the 25% new food/75% old food stage in switching them over.  They couldn't have gotten more than 2 cups each total.  Thanks for your quick replies!  ;D

Gentian

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:56:26 am »
I just bought a new bag. :( We heard about  the formulation change, switched, and then went back without a problem about a month ago. But, I can't find any information on specifically what they think is causing problems.

My dogs typically have iron stomachs, so if it was just the unexpected formulation change, I won't worry. If there is more to it, I'd love to know, though.

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:29:31 am »
Okay.  Thankfully, the store refunded the Canidae with no problems and we picked up some Wellness Super5Mix Large Breed.  I hope this is a good one, because while we were gone, poor Apollo had another loose poop in the laundry room.  That makes the second time he's had an accident in the house this week.  And he never had a problem until we started messing around with his food.  I never imagined it could be so hard to choose a good quality food for the dogs.  Its hard to be patient and give each new food a chance while your baby is suffering from GI upset. 

Anyone have any advise on how to settle his stomach until we ease him onto the Wellness?  Should I just stop feeding him the Blue completely?  Maybe I should be trying to give his belly a rest with some rice and chicken for a couple of days or something?  I just don't know what to do with him.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:35:18 am »
Chicken & rice sure won't hurt and I'd give him some yogart to get the bacteria built back up in his intestines. Athena couldn't eat Blue either but my son's dog does great on it.
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 05:47:56 am »
I've never had to do this before so these may be stupid questions, but how much should I give him? I was thinking about a cup of rice, one chicken breast, and then one cup of yogart for each meal?  Does that sound about right?  He normally just eats 2 cups of kibble twice a day.  And then should I feed this twice a day until his poops firm up?  Then I'm guessing I could just slowly add the Wellness to this mix over a couple of days?  Or am I totally off?   

Tonda

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 06:04:04 am »
Think about it in calories, not amounts. 4 cups of Blue Buffalo large breed adult has 2020 calories.

1 cup cooked white rice = 206
1 c. chopped chicken breast, roasted, no skin = 231
1 cup, plain, non-fat yogurt = 127

So you’re looking at something like 1 c. rice (206) + 3 c. chopped chicken (693) + 1 c. yogurt (127), twice a day to get to the same basic count.  

Give him a few days on this, then slowly start replacing some of the rice and chicken with kibble. I'd do it over a few days to a week and see how he does.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 06:07:58 am by MastiffOverload »

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 04:28:40 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Apollo liked his rice and chicken tonight and so far no poop.  Hubby forgot to give him some yogart, but we'll add a spoonful to breakfast.  And I'm going to pick up some pumpkin puree in the morning. 

I hope they tolerate the new kibble.  I thought about Natural Balance or Innova, but wasn't sure which would be better for them.  I haven't opened the bag of Wellness yet.  Do you think I should exchange it for one of the other brands?