Author Topic: Platelets and clotting?  (Read 4296 times)

NewDaneMom

Platelets and clotting?
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:59:08 pm »
This AM I got a call from Elliot's vet saying she wanted to 'go over' his pre-surgical bloodwork with me (he is getting fixed next week). She left a message and I couldn't get a hold of her right away. I was flipping out thinking something was really wrong because I've never had a vet call me about bloodwork and had it be a good thing. When she called back she said it was probably nothing to be concerned about but -I'm probably paraphrasing because it was a little over my head- his platelets were low in clotting??? She said tht she thinks it is just that the lab waited too long between taking the sample and running the test and it's nothing to worry about because everything was all maybe/slightly/etc. She wants to take more blood the morning of the surgery and do the test right there and if all looks well they will go ahead and do the surgery. Does this all sound normal and has anyone else had this happen?

Elliot has been doing great on his new food also. We switched him over to California Natural. He likes it and so far gained 2 whole pounds! grrrrrr...I even made him the satin balls which he loved but he didn't gain much. Got to start somewhere I guess. He definitely looks less bony to me even if he's still almost the same wieght.

NewDaneMom

Re: Platelets and clotting?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 01:13:17 am »
So it can't be all that abnormal for dogs then right? :)
She said everything else, all his liver values and everything looked great. We're still a little paranoid since the rescue seem to have left some things out of his history and I'm not convinced he ever saw a vet while he was there. We found out also that he was not up to date on all his shots as we had been told and needed a distemper shot. When our vet went through his records she couldn't find it and then she called and found out he was overdue. And we'd already been told it was very odd that he wasn't altered in rescue. I dont care as long as he's healthy now. I'm glad that the whole platelets thing doesn't seem like it'll be an issue.

Offline Amy (guffer)

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Platelets and clotting?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 01:30:08 am »
Since your vet thinks the blood sample sat around for a while, then the platelets in the sample probably began to stick to each other, forming a clot in the tube.  Then when they looked at the sample to get a platelet count, the number appeared lower than it should've.  If that was the case, then the low platelet count was just an inaccuracy, not something wrong with your dog.  When he goes in for his neuter, I'm sure the vet will check the new specimen right away, and that will give you an accurate count.  This actually happens occasionally at any hospital when the specimen tube is either filled up too much or if it sits around too long.  Usually the lab notices that there are clots in the specimen and they throw it out, but sometimes they give a false low count.  I hope thats the case with your bubs.