Author Topic: YUK - ripped pads off!  (Read 7593 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
YUK - ripped pads off!
« on: March 13, 2009, 02:33:47 am »
Teddy's little sheep escapade the other day did him some damage.  Seems he's ripped the black covering off both the pads on his front feet at the back of the foot.  The pads with the nails are fine. (a pic is worth 1000 words - I've circled the area I'm talking about - its both feet - Owww!!!)

Raw, pink yukky stuff exposed.  So far, I've just put some polysporin on it.  Think I'm going to head to the local farm supply and get some type of topical cream or spray (something that might stay on a little longer).

Anyone else dog's ever have that?  What did you do for it?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 02:34:42 am by PennyK »
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: YUK - ripped pads off!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 04:34:51 am »
Gunther has an aweful time with his feet in the winter.  At least once a year he rips off part of a pad or nail........an d also gets cuts on the backs of his legs (shin area I guess on a dog, but on the back).

We just put neosporin on it although he probably licks that right off.  If it's bad enough or isn't healing properly we will wrap his foot.  I always have vetwrap, guaze and large bandages/cotton wrap and betadine on hand.  But I've only had to wrap his foot on 2 occasions for a few days a time.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:35:59 am by ZooCrew »

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 05:23:07 am »
Just picked up some Furacin ointment (horse people will know what it is) and some vet wrap (I had some hot pink wrap at home but didnt want to humiliate the poor fella!  LOL).  I alson called and talked to our wonderful vet and she said I'm on the right track but to bring him in if I notice any heat, swelling or puss. 
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 06:37:39 am »
Just picked up some Furacin ointment (horse people will know what it is) and some vet wrap (I had some hot pink wrap at home but didnt want to humiliate the poor fella!  LOL).  I alson called and talked to our wonderful vet and she said I'm on the right track but to bring him in if I notice any heat, swelling or puss. 

Awwwe, come-on..........lol.  Gunther's had both purple and hot pink vetwrap before.  Not too many manly colors I could find.......... .lol.  ;D

Offline NewfFan

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 09:34:04 am »
How's Teddy's pads?
-Chantel-
Owned by:
Daisy, AKC Black Lab
Max 3 year old AQHA gelding