Author Topic: Off For Bathing...  (Read 3885 times)

Nicole

Off For Bathing...
« on: August 18, 2005, 11:01:13 am »
Bye all. I'm off to give Cabeza a bath with some new shampoo I just got. Its Four Paws Magic Coat "Hypo Allergenic". Its got Coal Tar and Aloe. He's so dang itchy in the summer. I hope it works. Anyone ever used it?

GR8DAME

Re: Off For Bathing...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 11:34:06 am »
I used it for my dobies that had flakey, itchy skin. It seemed to work well. I also would give them a tablespoon of olive oil every day with their food, but there were no food allergies invovled.
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 12:35:28 pm »
Hmm...thanks Stella. Cabeza gets Wysong Essential Fatty Acid capsules every day, olive oil, eggs, all sortsa things. I don't know why he's so dang itchy sometimes. I feel so bad for him.

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 03:50:59 pm »
Believe it or not I found that alot of the things that I used to clean around the house really irritated my dogs with sensitive skin. I now use alot of vinegar on floors and Murphy's oil soap for furniture instead of the Pledge and a floor cleaner, and I do use carpet cleaning soap, so the final rinse is vinegar and hot hot hot water. It only smells like pickles for about an hour, then is just fresh smelling, and much less itching.
Stella

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 04:58:31 pm »
Hmm....Well, I don't really use any kind of products.....w e use vinegar or Nature's Miracle when necessary on the carpets, and that's about it. I just sweep and vacuum alot. I use bleach when I mop the floor, and also use it in the bathroom. Do you think any of those things could be bothering him?

He used to have food allergies, I switched his food and he's been fine for years. Do you think he could develop another food allergy? He's on really good food.

GR8DAME

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 07:29:28 am »
I have never had a dog with food allergies, so maybe someone else has a better idea than I. Personally I have food allergies myself that didn't develope until I was in my late 30's, and then ended me up in the hospital for two days with anyphalactic (SP) shock. I would imagine that dogs can develope them just as suddenly as people.
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 08:12:53 am »
Bye all. I'm off to give Cabeza a bath with some new shampoo I just got. Its Four Paws Magic Coat "Hypo Allergenic". Its got Coal Tar and Aloe. He's so dang itchy in the summer. I hope it works. Anyone ever used it?

I saw at the vet's office last month that Benzoyl shampoo someone was looking for a while ago...I never thought to look there though.  I might get some.

Lady and Grace get baths this weekend.  We use Hart's.

Nicole

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 03:02:10 pm »
So, I gave Cabeza a bath yesterday. He's all shiny and smellin' good, and the coal tar really seemed to help his skin. I took him to the marina today to walk around and meet people. TONS of compliments! "Wow! What a coat! He must eat well!" Stuff like that. So, I go over to the Yacht Club (where I work) to pick up my check, and I tie him up outside. We had a big outside festival kinda thing a few weeks ago, and the HUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUGE grill we used is still out there. Cabeza wiggles his butt underneath it and comes out COVERED in grill grease! I coulda KILLED him! So, I guess its bath number two today! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

smohr

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 03:33:34 pm »
I never had any problems with the canine variety having itching/scratching problems, but I have a very old cat (almost 17) that developed an itching/scratching/ripping hair out problem about 7 years ago.  The vet at first thought it was allergies or fleas (neither was the problem on closer examination.)  We kept a journal of when she behaved that way and found she was only acting that way when the grandchildren came to visit!  They made her nervous.  The crying and then as they got older the chasing and trying to pet her.  Ha.  She was just a head case :P in her old age and grumpy >:( about kids invading her space.  I guess having the kids there upset her routine and she reacted by ripping her hair out and digging herself raw.  She does it less frequently now that the kids are older, but when they are all here at one time, she'll go into her self-destructive mode...who knew?