Author Topic: Can't resist newfs  (Read 17925 times)

Offline LDT

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Can't resist newfs
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2009, 12:06:30 am »
No kids. And the spitting thing, never heard of that. Drool on ya, yes, spitting, my guys are just to lazy for that!
As far as clubs, again I'm not sure.
I have tried nothing and I'm all out of Ideas!

lookingfornewf

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2009, 12:35:29 am »
never heard of a spitting newf, but when they shake their heads drool can fly amazing distances.

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 03:43:11 am »
Oh a little slime and fur wont scare me.
Unfortunately yesterday we took my gf's bichon to the vet and found out shes got a tumour the size of a grape fruit around her stomach and diabetes.
I'm not suprised about the diabetes the dog gets over fed but the tumour is bad news.
They can't operate on her until the diabetes is under control but shes already bleeding into her colon and she lost 10 pounds in the winter months. Her coat is falling out and shes getting really weak.
They have to decide what to do with her. Even if they manage to get her into shape for the operation its going to be very expensive and they may not be able to deal with that right now.
I stayed over last night to console her and was suprised the dog even made it through the night.
So if anyone has any stray prayers let them be for poor old Vali.
Thanks.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 05:55:08 am »
You asked about crates. I got Clifford's crate when he was still a puppy. I decided if I fit in it he would, see picture below. I found mine used in a newpaper ad for about $40. You find lots at yard sales too.

Absolutely love your crate evalution strategy.

Offline ozzysma

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 03:15:01 am »
logan i am going to rain on your parade abit!  sorry but we have had 4 newfs turned into rescue this week!!  i am not against newfs in apartments but it is very hard to find an apartment that will allow such very big dogs!! even if your new apartment will the next place you live may not. what if you and your girlfriend dont go the long road the the next girlfriend does not like the drool??  serious questions to think about because you are going to have to be this newfs everything for a long time.

Offline newfsie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 05:24:27 pm »
I have owned and been owned by newfs for over thirty years. My first concern would be living in an apartment with a puppy by itself........ ....Especially if you have the possibility of upsetting neighbors with noise. I have never owned a lone dog, always have had two as a minimum. The best "toy" for a dog is another dog.
You also need to spend a lot of time going outdoors for toilet training and would that be difficult in an apartment setting?
Have you thought of starting with a mature rescue dog........... ..A more settled older dog might do better in an apartment. Going from a small dog to a giant breed is a very large jump. I do not want to sound negative, but i am involved with newf rescue. And have seen many people fall in love with the breed, only to find them overwhelming when they actually get to own them. There are many ours of grooming and cleaning-up after a newf involved. I do not want to put you off, but puppy, alone and apartment does not sound like optimum start to me. there are so many mature and gracious older dogs looking for someone to adore and to be loved......... ........Please   think about it  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:25:48 pm by newfsie »
Newfsie, from Downunder
owned by Annabelle, Tessa, Nugget and six horses

http//:community.webs hots.com/user/newfs4ever

"Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nos

Offline newf_owner

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 07:44:20 pm »
its been a few months since this post was up, i just wanted to ask if you'v found a breeder yet?

and also i wanted to say, that you know the whole puppy chewing thing? where they chew shoes and stuff? umm ok well my PUPPY weighs 50 lbs, HES HUGE, he can reach the tables and the shelves, hes strong and i got this fence to keep him out of trouble, dispite the fact that climbing and jumping are bad for his hips, well... NO ONE TOLD HIM THAT, he hops right over it which is crazy its about 12 inches taller than him, ive found him stuck in my clothes hamper 3 times already, i leave the room to get a glass of water and come back to my huge puppy IN my hamper, but only 3 legs are in and hes wiggiling and im like "uhhhhh, why?"  so if you havent really had a puppy befor you gotta know that it can be VERY frustrating, your gonna lose some good shoes, possibly some carpet, maybe even some dry-wall,

be prepaired