Author Topic: What Newf mixes would you like to see?  (Read 46067 times)

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
What Newf mixes would you like to see?
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:02:48 pm »
I love newfs but I also love a couple other breeds. I know there are many of you who love newfs too so what mox would you like to see?

I'd love to see a Newf/Irish wolfhound mix

Or maybe a newf/old english sheepdog mix

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: What Newf mixes would you like to see?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 01:10:25 pm »
IMO, there are enough mixed breeds already.
I like newfs just the way they are big fluff balls and slobbery loves.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Ursa

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • What Now!?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2009, 02:32:01 pm »
Can you just picture a Newf/IW cross?  That really would be the bigger black dog!
Ruthanna - the Triplets' mom

Ursa, CGC -  11 month old Great Pyrenees
Fargo, CGC - 9 month old Newfoundland
Sadie, CGC - 8 month old Newfoundland

What Now!? - www.muttdog.us

Offline LoganfromNewf

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 05:03:06 am »
To be fair all the breeds were crossbread with other breads to become what they are today. I still believe in keeping pure breds if only because you know what your getting.
Just fun to fantasize about a horse dog :P
Also Fletcher that is a beautiful dog you have.

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 05:09:19 am »
I bet no one every dreamed of a Komondor Black Lab cross but that is just what I got and I love how unique she is. She has the best of both personality traits and really cool fur. (She just had her hair done!)I call her my pretty bear, not horse though.

Then there is my recent rescue Harley who is a newf/saint mix. She is only 4 months old so no telling how she will turn out yet.

I like the crosses you get with mixes sometimes. I wouldn't trade mine for the world. Unfortunately these "accidents" or "curious breedings" too often end up in shelters, like mine.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 05:12:06 am »
You know what is funny guys .. Tink is the same age as Harely in my avatar. What a difference in size. Boy my girl grew up fast!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 05:41:28 am »
This was Tink's 8 week old photo at 25lbs the first day I brought her home, she has definately changed colors. She is 14 months now and around 120lbs. There is one by the gate where she is starting to metamorphasize . She looks like a silver back gorilla.

As for Harley, I do see the Saint and the newf, but she was the runt and did not receive adequate food her first 14 weeks, had parvo, and her mother was a saint mix less than one year old when she gave birth. She spent her entire first three months locked in a shed with her mom and 4 siblings, never let out, no light, etc. Her brothers were all about 15lbs larger than her too. She definately had some strikes against her but according to what I have read at 4 months and 45lbs, she is not that far off on the newf chart. My vet agrees with her age range. She had all her puppy teeth when I got her and almost has all her adult teeth now. I think she got off to a bad start but she'll get there. I think this pict (see below) definately looks saint.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 05:45:13 am by TINKSMOM »
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline vmimom2006

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009, 07:38:23 am »
I have seen way to many "doodle" mixes. People are still allergic and sometime those mixes make a very nasty disposition and guess where they end up!
Mom to:
Athena 20 month Blue Great Dane
Aurora 5 yr Blue Merle Great Dane
Baby Tux cat-RIP 6/9/09
Mandy & Millie 10 yr sisters tabbys
Wheet 9 yr black shorthair devil cat
Lucy Lu & Buckley 8 month kitties

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009, 10:05:45 am »
To be fair all the breeds were crossbread with other breads to become what they are today. I still believe in keeping pure breds if only because you know what your getting.

An argument which really means nothing.

I have no problem with people who want to start a new breed (like the American Mastiff), recreate an old breed (like the Victorian Bulldog), or have an actual goal (like the Australian Labradoodle, which was created to give people with disabilities a helper dog that combined the well-known positives of a Lab with the allergy-friendly fur of a poodle).

I DO have a HUGE problem with people who just breed random mixes cause they think it would be cool (or because they’re too lazy/stupid to be trusted with an intact pet and can’t be bothered to police it). People like this make the worst backyard breeder look like the poster boy for breeder responsibility .

Not all breeds were created from crossing other breeds, FYI, there are several ancient dog breed who have remained mostly unchanged from they way they evolved.  And there is no real reason to create a new breed today that we do not have a breed for already, they are crossbred because people just want something different.

The lab poodle mix as a service dog was an experiment that failed MISERABLY.  On average 1 out of 4 of the mixes would have the no-shedding coat of a poodle, of that maybe 1 of 4 would have what it takes to be a service dog.  So maybe one dog out of 2 litters had what it took, thats an awful lot of castoffs.

There is a breeder of labramutts in Australia who proudly proclaims that she breeds over 500 a YEAR, not for service work, just as high prices mutts.

As for second gen cross breeds it would depend on if they used a lab or a poodle to sire the second gen, almost in which case you end up with a dog that is mostly poodle again, so why bother?  If you cross a lab poodle mix to a lab poodle mix you usually end up with pups that look like the original 2 breeds.  Same thing happens if you cross a pug beagle mix to a pug beagle mix. 

Gage is the product of a not opps breeding I'm sure because when I got him at 7 months old there was another litter of them for sale around where he came from originally, he is a great dog but never in a million years would I have paid for a mutt, especially one from untested parents. 

Like they say a fool and his money.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 10:09:15 am by ruffian »

Offline Morweena

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2009, 10:37:06 am »
Ruby was bread  for some purpose I can't quite figure out, a more stubborn dog?(both breeds are famously stubborn) a quieter malamuate? (neither breed bark much and bullmastiffs often have to be coaxed to make any noise) a longer lived bullmastiff?
 I paid 400 bucks for her and she was worth every penny.
Maybe I just got lucky but she seems to have the best traits of both breeds with few of the drawbacks (high prey drive makes her harass my poor cats).
The "breeder" wasn't selling the pups as anything other than a pet, and the adds for her litter just said "loving intelligent puppies, very quiet". No claims on guarding or mushing skills.
Maybe they just had two well tempered dogs and thought "hmm they have great temperments lets mix them"
 Better that than breeders that try and stretch the breed standard to create "giant malamutes" or a more wrinkley shar pei
Many of us just can't afford a purebred dog and while a backyard breeder is not the smartest place to go it is better than getting the pup of the moment at petstore.
Ruby - bullmastiff/malamute

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2009, 11:55:39 am »
I dont understand where people get the idea that purebreds cost tens of thousands of dollars, BYB who bought theirs from pet shops are the ones who charge the huge amounts.   know many breeders of several breeds who sell their pet pups, from fully tested, trialed and shown stock for under 500 canadian, so like 400 usd?  But then I would never look for a breeder in a newspaper either.

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 02:53:58 pm »
I have no problem with people who want to start a new breed (like the American Mastiff)...

Would like to point out that the American Mastiff never has been and never will be a breed. It is a mutt, just like all the rest. They have mixed an Anatolian Shepherd (which is a serious LGD) with an English Mastiff to make what I consider to be what looks as gentle and sweet and laid back as Mastiff, but with the ability to turn instant serious protector in a matter of seconds... a very deceiving looking combo. But felt the need to point out, this is NOT a new breed of any sort. It is a mutt just as much as the doodles are.

I dont understand where people get the idea that purebreds cost tens of thousands of dollars, BYB who bought theirs from pet shops are the ones who charge the huge amounts.   know many breeders of several breeds who sell their pet pups, from fully tested, trialed and shown stock for under 500 canadian, so like 400 usd?  But then I would never look for a breeder in a newspaper either.

I have YET to see a reputable breeder who sells health tested, pet quality, registered pedigreed pups, from champion lines for less than around $800 and even THAT is a bargain. You MAY get an adult retired show/breeding dog from a reputable breeder for a decent price to perhaps even free, but you won't be finding a pup for $400, so don't count on it.

Take it from someone who knows (but isn't proud of it); BYB pups are much cheaper up front. It's the long term health costs that can surprise you later on.
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 03:09:40 pm »
I havent bought a dog from a BYB, bought my girl froma boarder-line puppymill, or rather just as she started to go that direction.  But the breeders I do know I have met through other breeders, or at dog shows.