Author Topic: Harley must be ADHD - cute story  (Read 22016 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Harley must be ADHD - cute story
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:30 pm »
So my neighbor is watching a 12 year old boy who was suspended for school - they just can't handle him; his father passed away two years ago mom has to work and he has ADHD.

A couple of days ago my neighbor asked him why is he always at my house playing with Harley instead of playing with her dog Rusty - his reponse was "Harley and I understand each other Harley has ADHD just like me".

Randy

AudgePadge

Re: Harley must be ADHD - cute story
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:27:34 pm »
AWWWWWWWWWW... .lol!

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 01:33:15 pm »
Now, thats a great story.  ;D ;D

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 02:03:32 pm »
Now you may understand what life is like with Harley  ;D

Offline Butts Mom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:02:22 pm »
Awww kids say the cutest things.
Michelle, Butt, Tub and Everybirdie

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 10:19:33 pm »
OMG that is a great one time line!!! Its good though that the boy feels that connected to Harley. Dogs can be such wonderful support systems for children.

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 07:28:20 am »
Awesome!  lol
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 11:46:27 am »
I think it's awesome that Harley can help a boy just by being himself, and I second the idea that you should make him a therapy dog  :)

I gotta say though that even though it's a cute story it makes me sad for the boy. I work with elementary special needs kids and I am sure there is more to the story but it kills me to hear that he was suspended cause they can't handle him
RIP former BPO

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:54:52 am »
I gotta say though that even though it's a cute story it makes me sad for the boy. I work with elementary special needs kids and I am sure there is more to the story but it kills me to hear that he was suspended cause they can't handle him

Oh I totally agree - The young man has issues.  The district that we live in (and I work in) is a very good district that generally handles issues well - His teacher this year was the worst!!  The mother didn't or couldn't fight hard enough for him - as I mentioned the father died a few years ago from brain cancer.  The mother hasn't figured how to handle everything and I don't think she has family in the area.  My neighbor is a parent advocate for children with special needs and that is how she wound up watching him.  Once he gets to the middle school (this year I think) I think the programs are better - I know it is a long way away but the high school has many options for him.

As far as making Harley a therapy dog I would LOVE it, I had hoped for it when getting Harley - but who knew he would be such a dork!!  He doesn't sit or lay down EVER - well not until night time when he stands next to me and I pet him until he literally falls over and goes to sleep.  I LOVE him he cracks me up but I would need 32 hours a day to train him!!

Randy